• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
smart move is to keep fulmer in the minors to keep his arbitration clock from starting.. jimenez is just to young.. he is barely 20 i think.. and has never been past low a ball.

the tigers have a ton of pitchers form the last 2 drafts.. but it takes a little time for them to move up.. usually 3-5 years depending on if they were college or high school draftees. You will start to see some of the 2014 draftees next year would be my guess.. and i believe the last 2 drafts were MUCH better than years past.

i would like to see mantiply, kyle ryan, josh turley, and ferrell called up in september and see what they do in bullpen roles.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, I'm not even sure how the arb clock works. maybe explain in layman's terms for a dumby.

well, heck isn't Mantiply pretty young too, like 21 or 22.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, I'm not even sure how the arb clock works. maybe explain in layman's terms for a dumby.

well, heck isn't Mantiply pretty young too, like 21 or 22.

mantiply is 24

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the first three seasons of a major leaguer's career, his salary is determined entirely by his team, and his contract can be renewed by the team if the two sides cannot reach an agreement on his salary (this happened to Prince Fielder in 2008). After the third season, the player becomes eligible for salary arbitration, which usually creates a large increase in salary. After three seasons of arbitration, the player is eligible for free agency.

The exception to the three-year rule listed above is a "Super 2" player. A player who has only played two full major league seasons and part of a third can qualify for arbitration if he:
  • Played in the majors for at least 86 days in the previous season
  • Is among the top 17 percent for cumulative playing time in the majors amongst others with at least 2 years, but less than 3 years experience

So a player called up in April of his first season could qualify for arbitration after his third season, despite not having played three full seasons. The rule protects a player from having a team hold him off the major league roster for one day to delay him from reaching arbitration.

So, a team can prevent a player from being arbitration eligible for one year by keeping them in the minors on Opening Day and not calling them up until after 17% of that season's in-season callup rookies have been added to their respective rosters. - wikipedia

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
basically if the tigers wait until after april of next year to call up fulmer.. they have him under team control an extra year.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cool, appreciate it all that.

and here i thought all these kids were on 4-5 year inital contracts. good to know and attempt to learn.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its complicated.. because they can become minor league free agents after a certain amount of time if they don't make the majors... but if they don't make the majors.. their arbitration clock doesn't start.. which is what determines when they become MLB free agents.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
basically if the tigers wait until after april of next year to call up fulmer.. they have him under team control an extra year.

got it. I kind of figured that was what you were implying in first post on this page. It makes total sense.

Now comes my stupid question. He, Fulmer, cannot be placed on the 40 man roster, correct, as that would expedite his major league status.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i believe a player can become a minor league free agent after 7 years of being in the minors without making the majors.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
got it. I kind of figured that was what you were implying in first post on this page. It makes total sense.

Now comes my stupid question. He, Fulmer, cannot be placed on the 40 man roster, correct, as that would expedite his major league status.

he can be put on the 40 man.. and it doesn't start his arbitration clock.. he will probably be added next year at some point.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he can be put on the 40 man.. and it doesn't start his arbitration clock.. he will probably be added next year at some point.

way more complicated rules and regs than football but sincerely appreciate the schooling.

dengel6

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as Brad said" Yes, we lost today". DA ??????????????
Now go get your shine box Assmus.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mlb minor league rules are really complicated... i don't even remotely understand them all... just the basics.. minor league free agency is mind bending...

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
drafting college relievers at any point of the draft should be completely ended too.. its just so stupid to draft someone that wasn't good enough to start in college and expect them to get MLB level hitters out on the regular even in only in a 1 inning role.

worked out ok for Craig Kimbrel, might of heard of him, hate to actually do some research to see how many good relievers were college relievers, but fact checking isn't your strong suit.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
worked out ok for Craig Kimbrel, might of heard of him, hate to actually do some research to see how many good relievers were college relievers, but fact checking isn't your strong suit.
My favorite closer of all time was a first round pick, as a closer. He even won ROY just a season after he was drafted by the most overrated GM in sports history.

But Huston Street, Gregg Olsen(also a ROY) and Mike Henneman are the only guys I can think of who were drafted as closers and were successful in the majors.

I don't think Kimbrel was a closer in JC, just what the Braves wanted him to do. Mostly because he only has two pitches, I assume that's why anyway.... And throws hard. (Throwing hard doesn't count as a pitch to me, for the record.)

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kimbrel was a starter at Wallace State Community College. He didn't start coming out the bullpen full time until pro ball where he never started.

There are guys that can make the jump from being a college reliever to a mlb reliever.. but the odds are MUCH lower. The average closer/late inning reliever in the mlb right now was a failed starting pitching prospect that was converted to reliever... the percentage of guys that never started is probably close to 10%.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC Royals are a prime example of this... Their entire bullpen is made up of guys that were failures as starters. Wade Davis, Herrera, Holland, Hochevar... they were all crap as a starter.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sunday after the massacre
Davis
Kinsler
Miggy
JD
VMart
Nick
McCann
Iggy
Gose
Simon on the hill. ...
Gee brilliant move by Brad to move Victor down in the order. Wonder how we came up with that?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sunday after the massacre
Davis
Kinsler
Miggy
JD
VMart
Nick
McCann
Iggy
Gose
Simon on the hill. ...
Gee brilliant move by Brad to move Victor down in the order. Wonder how we came up with that?

LOL.. maybe he reads our posts... if so.. call up mantiply and DFA gorzelanny today please Brad.... and start typing your resignation letter too...

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we should start a campaign to have Brad sit Victor a little bit in September so we can see some of the new guys and start to get Victor healthy.