• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 3rd 2-0 Detroit. I have read that some of you think the Tigers should tank most of their games. I don't want Detroit losing to KC or the Twins is my thing. I somewhat agree with losing is best for them so they can get better prospects but I still want them to pound KC and the Twins whenever they play.. It's how it is
I'm rooting for them to win e'ry night now that the deadline has came and went and we sold.

This isn't the NBA. Tanking achieves nothing as far I'm concerned at this point.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm rooting for them to win e'ry night now that the deadline has came and went and we sold.

This isn't the NBA. Tanking achieves nothing as far I'm concerned at this point.
I'm enjoying the shit outta this 8th inning.

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just found out they came back and won :yes:

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is incorrect. Its not just about a higher draft pick... Its about protecting that draft pick... It they sign a free agent to a qualifying offer and have the 15th pick... they lose that pick... you would rather them finish 81-81, miss the playoffs, AND lose a 1st rounder?

Tigers ceiling is .500 this year. I would love for them to go on a run and win it all... but it won't happen and being outside of the top ten in draft picks only makes rebuilding the farm that much harder if they sign a guy that gets a qualifying offer... which is more than likely to happen. You can't have it both ways. Either you except the situation for what it is.. eat this year and let them retool... or you hurt the future by trying to win an extra 10 games.

The Astros didn't build themselves back to contention by being a middle of the pack team... they did it by eating a turd sandwich for a few years... thank god Detroit might only have to do it this year.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took Vice longer to tell me Im wrong than I thought it would.

Even after waiting an extra five minutes, I still don't care.

(Please note the "as far as I'm concerned" portion of my post up there MV. I wanted Price dealt because I didn't want a draft pick in exchange. )

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took Vice longer to tell me Im wrong than I thought it would.

Even after waiting an extra five minutes, I still don't care.

(Please note the "as far as I'm concerned" portion of my post up there MV. I wanted Price dealt because I didn't want a draft pick in exchange. )

This has nothing to do with losing a draft pick from signing a free agent with a qualifying offer. Thats great you wanted him traded because you didn't want a draft pick in exchange... getting 3 prospects is better than 1... but what ever rational you have for wanting the tigers to win a few games then lose a draft pick if they sign a free agent with a qualifying offer makes no sense. I think we can all agree here the Tigers are not winning it all this year... so why put the team in a bad situation? Lose a few more games... keep the draft pick... sign who you want... I really don't see how someone can argue this unless they believe the Tigers are going to make a run in the playoffs and win it all.

Not sure if you don't understand how it works... keeping price would have given the Tigers a compensation pick... along with their regular 1st rder. Signing a free agent in the off season with a qualifying offer makes you lose your regular 1st rounder unless its top 10....

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quit trying to educate me on your flawed logic. Seriously. I understand why you are using it, but I chose not to.

The Astros sucking for three years and getting #1 picks is not why they are winning their division. They didn't even sign all three Top Picks. Which was the third time that ever happened. EVER. And if you think it was smart they didn't sign him, (bum elbow)it still was a wasted pick and a wasted season of sucking so bad they can't even get people to watch on TV let alone go to games.

Plus, they cut our best player just last year. (JD will be second best by the weekend, hopefully.). They are not a good example of how to build a winner, imo. (Their payroll was like 45mil last year. Nobody wants to see that. )

The Tigers aren't the Astros and losing for draft picks is for the NBA. (Brady Aiken would cripple an NBA team that tanked for that pick. Made no difference to Houston. Cuz draft picks aren't very important individually really. A huge chunk of our roster was never drafted in the first place.)

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quit trying to educate me on your flawed logic. Seriously. I understand why you are using it, but I chose not to.

The Astros sucking for three years and getting #1 picks is not why they are winning their division. They didn't even sign all three Top Picks. Which was the third time that ever happened. EVER. And if you think it was smart they didn't sign him, (bum elbow)it still was a wasted pick and a wasted season of sucking so bad they can't even get people to watch on TV let alone go to games.

Plus, they cut our best player just last year. (JD will be second best by the weekend, hopefully.). They are not a good example of how to build a winner, imo. (Their payroll was like 45mil last year. Nobody wants to see that. )

The Tigers aren't the Astros and losing for draft picks is for the NBA. (Brady Aiken would cripple an NBA team that tanked for that pick. Made no difference to Houston. Cuz draft picks aren't very important individually really. A huge chunk of our roster was never drafted in the first place.)
You do realize the Astro's had 2 top 5 picks in this draft because they didn't sign their top pick last year right?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

)

You know what smitty... maybe I gave you to much credit. Your last few posts make me feel bad for even debating with you. If you don't think the Astro's have built a winner... you are nuts... they are loaded with young talent... everywhere... at every level.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This made me chuckle a little. Im still trying to figure out what your would be for the Tigers to retool the franchise.... Sign more over 30 guys to 100+ mil contracts? Not get better prospects? Fuck it... lets win 82 games this year because I don't like to see my team lose games... and not worry about next year or future years... LOL.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish guys like lionshetsucks and howie posted here more...

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cuz draft picks aren't very important individually really. A huge chunk of our roster was never drafted in the first place.)

This made me chuckle too... A huge chunk of the roster wasn't drafted? 9 guys were not drafted.... and of those 9.... 4 were signed as free agents from other teams... and 4 were traded for from other teams... 1 was actually signed by Det as a international prospect (rondon)...

You are right... individual draft picks dont have much value... after about the 6th round.... the first 4 or 5 rounds consistently produce the majority of MLB talent and have HUGE value. To say draft picks are not important individually has to be one of the most head scratching things I have seen posted by someone in a while. If they are not important individually how do teams get good farm systems and build teams from within? The Royals Dayton Moore built his team mostly from the draft... I am sure he would argue you.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just found out they came back and won :yes:

I went to sleep on 'em, too. And the Royals were something like 123-0 when leading after 7 innings, going back to last season. Kinda sweet the Tigers ended that streak.

I honestly don't care if the Tigers finish 2nd or 5th in the ALC, because no WC is coming out of this division. But I DO root for them to beat the Royals every time the two teams play.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Miggy will be back this weekend and making it harder for the Tigers to go out after that great draft pick that's going to bring them out of this horrible downturn ....one bad season and still with a big Run they won't be that far out of a wild card... should the Tigers sit Miggy the rest of the season so it would be easier to play out your fantasy Vice?

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Miggy will be back this weekend and making it harder for the Tigers to go out after that great draft pick that's going to bring them out of this horrible downturn.

Miggy will only make a marginal difference in wins if the pitching keeps giving up 6, 7 runs a game.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure Howie but the intangible of having Miggy in the middle of this lineup you can't really measure... he will make everybody better.... I am not naive enough to think he will lead us to the World Series championship... you never know what you might get from these young pitchers....

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No argument, burf. I'm just saying that, even with Miggy gone, hitting has not been the biggest problem with the team over the last 6 weeks. There were maybe 2 or 3 games where a big hit from Cabrera could've made a difference. Otherwise, the pitching has been too stinko for even The Big Guy to help.