• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cuba Night on ESPN for the Tigers/Royals game. Iggy not in lineup. The guy may be one of the top 3 SS in baseball, but Latino hot dogs don't sell tickets in the midwest. Guy is still young, maybe he learns life's lessons easily in the near future. I admit to surprise that he has kept his average up all season...I was expecting he'd pull the same thing Gose has done in the last month or so.
iffy if you would like to talk to the old royals fans... here is a link Royals Chat

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cuba Night on ESPN for the Tigers/Royals game. Iggy not in lineup. The guy may be one of the top 3 SS in baseball, but Latino hot dogs don't sell tickets in the midwest. Guy is still young, maybe he learns life's lessons easily in the near future.

Mainly just a day of rest after Iggy went 1-for-13 in the Boston series.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tuesday
Gose
Iggy
Kinsler
VMart
JD
Collins
McCann
Marte
Romine 3B
Sanchez on the hill. ....

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take on the season so far ... This is the most bored I have been with the Tigers, since the 119 loss season. However, I do think the Tigers are poised for next year. About $60 Million coming off the books (including Price, Cespesdes and Soria) give an outstanding chance for acquiring free agents. Brad Ausmus has lost control of the team. He will be a good manager, but not now and not with the Tigers. Good prospects at the deadline give me hope as well. I hate the "wait til next year" chant, but I think it fits this year.

We are all Tiger fans here .... QUIT FIGHTING!!!

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger's fans haven't had to have a a wait til next year season in a long time. Even the best have a down year. What separates from failure franchises is how they regroup. I laugh every time I hear comparisons to the Phillies... the difference is Det has done a pretty good job of keeping young guys coming in.. sneaky.. but they have. And most of their 25 man roster is under 27 years old. They are 1 or 2 smart moves from being back to WS contenders. If they can sign 1 really good pitcher and add some bullpen depth... they can be very good... if they can add a solid 5th starter... even better...

If Rondon actually steps up or Wilson... into the closer role... and the Tigers just need to add a couple middle inning relievers to improve depth... it leaves money to spend on LF.. if not.. I am fine with Collins out there until the trade deadline next year.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So....the rotation will be built around Sanchez and Verlander? hhhhmmmmm

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So....the rotation will be built around Sanchez and Verlander? hhhhmmmmm

No iffy... with about 50 mil to spend after arbitration raises... I am quite certain the rotation will be build around 2 starters signed as free agents out of the 20 above average starters on the market. I am curious... do you really not know the amount of money the Tigers have coming off the books... and the amount of free agent starting pitchers on the market... or are you just being an ass? Cause I am pretty sure the discussion of how much is coming off the books and the list of free agents has been on here at least 5 times.

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not looking to good for the boys tonight

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not looking to good for the boys tonight
We should be rooting for losses... The worst possible thing that can happen is them winning enough games to be in pick 11-30 of the draft and not win the WS... because they will then lose their 1st round pick if they sign a guy with a qualifying offer... Tigers need to tank. This season is a wash.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This season has been a wash since they retained Ausmus and didn't address the starting pitching like they should have.. I knew both Greene and Simon were garbage when they signed them.. The farm is still bad even with the additions.. And I have to disagree on Marte, JD had a much better track record in the minors.. No way Marte becomes as good as him.. Pretty much just fire Ausmus, allow Vizquel to take over, tank the season, get a high pick, and use the money on BP and SP help.. They could use a Corner OF as well since Davis probably won't be resigned.. I will admit, they are quite comical as of late and amusing because of it.. Reminds me of the Kuester led Pistons..

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This season has been a wash since they retained Ausmus and didn't address the starting pitching like they should have.. I knew both Greene and Simon were garbage when they signed them.. The farm is still bad even with the additions.. And I have to disagree on Marte, JD had a much better track record in the minors.. No way Marte becomes as good as him.. Pretty much just fire Ausmus, allow Vizquel to take over, tank the season, get a high pick, and use the money on BP and SP help.. They could use a Corner OF as well since Davis probably won't be resigned.. I will admit, they are quite comical as of late and amusing because of it.. Reminds me of the Kuester led Pistons..

Thats actually a great description. Guy was supposed to be a genius too.

The farm got depth added to it... but only really one top level prospect... so you are right... the farm is still bad. But the last 2 drafts seem to be fairly solid and that can change the level of the farm quickly. Give the Tigers a top 10 pick in the next draft and if they invest on a few decent international signings, the farm could be repaired quite quickly. It doesn't take forever to restock... the Yankees did it in less than 3 years and went from a bottom level farm to top 5. All you have to do is stop trading away talent and get a few decent draft picks and signings a year.

Marte may not hit for average, but the guy has legit power. The only question with him is if he can keep hitting at a decent clip after pitchers adjust to him. I am not so sure about Collins. Heck, Marte may end up much better than Moya. I know Marte has played SS, 3rd, and 1st... wonder if he would be able to play outfield.

Dombrowski's starting rotation he put together this year was a mess. Giving up on Robbie Ray so early is going to look bad. He is a much more valuable player than Greene and they had to not only give Ray.. but Domingo Lebya, who is only 19 and could end up being a decent player too. The pitching prospect they gave up for Simon is sucking it up... but the other piece in that trade Eugene Suarez could hurt.. as he looks like he is going to be a decent MLB player.

Dombrowski's was great at trading when he was the one taking on the salary... but his trades he made to lower payroll were mostly crap. The only one he actually did well on was the Granderson trade that netted them Scherzer and Austin Jackson.

Its not as hard to win trades when you are getting established MLB vets in exchange for unproven players... which the majority of Dombrowski's trades were.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm appreciative of Dave Dombrowski and him being a major factor in the turn around of the Tiger's franchise... however, its not out of the question that the Tigers can get better as a franchise. Dombrowski had some very obvious strengths, but he also had glaring weaknesses.

The Tigers were not a perfect model under Dombrowski so it may not be the end of the world getting a new direction and voice. If Avila goes back to his roots, which is scouting and player development, while taking what Dombrowski taught him in regards to getting major league talent from prospects... Maybe the Tigers can actually field an average farm system that can produce relievers like any decent franchise does, while still being in the mix for top level free agents and trades.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This season has been a wash since they retained Ausmus and didn't address the starting pitching like they should have.. I knew both Greene and Simon were garbage when they signed them..

I actually thought Greene could be decent. A 3.79 ERA in about 80 innings for the Yankees last year, in that ballpark, gave me hopes that he'd be at least a serviceable starter. I had little faith in Simon, and you can read that in my preseason assessments. He had one flukey half-year as a starter, and no other history that suggested he could sustain that.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give the Tigers a top 10 pick in the next draft and if they invest on a few decent international signings, the farm could be repaired quite quickly.

Assuming they don't blow the Top 10 pick. No Matt Andersons, please.
:doh:

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually thought Greene could be decent. A 3.79 ERA in about 80 innings for the Yankees last year, in that ballpark, gave me hopes that he'd be at least a serviceable starter. I had little faith in Simon, and you can read that in my preseason assessments. He had one flukey half-year as a starter, and no other history that suggested he could sustain that.

The problem is they gave up a 22 yr old lefty with mid rotation ceiling for a 26 yr old in Greene with 5th starter ceiling... And its really biting them. Greene may end up coming back next year and being a serviceable starter... or reliever... but Robbie Ray is a much better pitcher than he is any way you look at it. I don't know what caused the Tigers to give up on him... but he is having himself a nice season in Arizona... while Greene is having a god awful one for the Tigers.

I had my fingers crossed on Simon.. but I had the same feeling you did. Giving up a pitching prospect for Simon that will probably not pan out for years if he does isn't the killer.... Giving up Suarez... who is a useful pro is.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming they don't blow the Top 10 pick. No Matt Andersons, please.
:doh:

I think the Tigers got this years first round pick right... I am not so sure about last years... however he is only 19 still. Not missing on first rounders is important.. but the good farm systems are the ones that get high level prospects in the later rounds and from low cost international signings.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is they gave up a 22 yr old lefty with mid rotation ceiling for a 26 yr old in Greene with 5th starter ceiling... And its really biting them. Greene may end up coming back next year and being a serviceable starter... or reliever... but Robbie Ray is a much better pitcher than he is any way you look at it. I don't know what caused the Tigers to give up on him... but he is having himself a nice season in Arizona... while Greene is having a god awful one for the Tigers.

Yes, it's stranger still because Ray was the person that Dombrowski said he absolutely HAD to get in the Fister deal. Then to give up on him that quickly? SMH

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wednesday
Gose
Iggy
Kinsler
VMart
JD
Nick
Collins
Marte
McCann
Norris on the hill. ...

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 3rd 2-0 Detroit. I have read that some of you think the Tigers should tank most of their games. I don't want Detroit losing to KC or the Twins is my thing. I somewhat agree with losing is best for them so they can get better prospects but I still want them to pound KC and the Twins whenever they play.. It's how it is

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like another L... I hope KC ends up playing the Yanks in the playoffs.. The Royals will get smoked by my 2nd favorite MLB team