• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would anyone willingly want Buck Farmer to pitch for them?

I'm kinda serious. Cuz I don't want to see him again in any sort of situation where the games is within 6-7 runs.

Be careful judging a pitcher when he is only 24 years old. Plenty of pitchers struggle to get big league hitters out in their first season or two.. especially at the age of 23/24. Many of those pitchers end up being very good down the road. Buck Farmer is a regarded prospect by just about any scouting service for a reason. Look at guys like Kluber or Richards to see how bad they sucked in their first few seasons... would you want them in the Tigers rotation now?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say that Avila was the reason for the Tigers state of affairs but simply stated there is no reason for him to play again this season..... you have a great way of putting words in other people's mouths Vice..... I am just trying to get some information and perspective of where we are going don't need great long dissertations of how some Tiger fans are this or R that..... I read everyone's posts and am interested not interested in how stupid I am..... carry on

If you can show me what point I call you stupid I will be glad to apologize. I just responded to your comment about Avila, and stated my opinion, and pointed out many Tigers fans seem to be piling on blame to Avila... I never said you were doing that... It was a general statement of what I see on sites across the board. He is far from a real issue, and if you understand the relationship a catcher has with pitchers.. you would understand that Avila is actually quite good in that sense, and will be a huge benefit to any young pitcher that he catches the rest of the season. Complain all you want about Avila's bat.. but as a catcher.. he is still an above average player. The fact you get so upset about my posts kinda makes me laugh... this is a sports thread bro.. Seriously...

Last edited:

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to be clear... I don't think Buck Farmer is a future top end starter... could he be.. maybe... but I doubt it. That being said.. he clearly has talent and will at the very least end up being a bullpen arm.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be careful judging a pitcher when he is only 24 years old. Plenty of pitchers struggle to get big league hitters out in their first season or two.. especially at the age of 23/24. Many of those pitchers end up being very good down the road. Buck Farmer is a regarded prospect by just about any scouting service for a reason. Look at guys like Kluber or Richards to see how bad they sucked in their first few seasons... would you want them in the Tigers rotation now?
Farmer doesn't have any of the tools theyre working with though. Results are one thing, ability and potential are another. (Speaking of results. Farmer did great in Grand Rapids, as a 23 year old. )

Rondon sucks as a pitcher, but he can throw hard. So he gets to stick around. But if you have a middling arm and you give up a homer on average about every other inning, your leash isn't going to be long.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I post stuff here to start conversations. I am not here to judge other people's baseball knowledge. I am quite aware that the average fan doesn't follow minor league prospects. Most have no idea who the Tigers have below the talked about guys like Moya and the prospects traded last week. If nothing else maybe by having a conversation that includes young guys that are not talked about everyone can get a better feel for a piece of the Tigers that is given little attention by media and fans. It would blow many peoples mind to know that one year a prospect might be a 13th round draft pick with no prospect ranking... then end up being a top prospect the next year (Devon Travis) or a guy that was signed for $300,000 at the age of 16 and not talked about at all could end up being the main piece to get an ace ( willy adames ). Prospect rankings are fluid. Guys can take off and come out of nowhere.. it happens all the time. Guys can bust that are highly regarded. Pitchers that struggle when they are young end up as front line starters all the time... Patience is a virtue for a reason. Writing off guys before their 26th birthday is not very smart in the game of baseball.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Farmer doesn't have any of the tools theyre working with though. Results are one thing, ability and potential are another. (Speaking of results. Farmer did great in Grand Rapids, as a 23 year old. )

Rondon sucks as a pitcher, but he can throw hard. So he gets to stick around. But if you have a middling arm and you give up a homer on average about every other inning, your leash isn't going to be long.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on Farmer. He has every tool to be a good starter. His scouting report shows this.

His repertoire consists of a fastball -- which sits in the low 90s and tops out around 95 -- an above average change-up (plus potential) and a fringe slider-curve combo. When he's on, he's pounding the strikezone and mixing all his pitches

The curveball is a bit slow at 72-75 miles per hour, but features good bite, and tight spin when he snaps a good one off. Farmer drops down a bit in his delivery, which can prohibit his fingers from getting on top of the pitch, and it can come out of the side of his hand. With more repetition and work, the curveball should be a tick above average, or even a plus pitch.

Farmer's changeup is advanced for a right-handed pitcher at this point as well. He has the ability to throw it for a strike, even as the first pitch in a sequence. It's not a swing-and-miss pitch necessarily, even though it possesses good movement, but comes out of the same arm slot as his other pitches, and is about 10 miles per hour slower. It's pretty close to a major league average pitch at this point, and should also get better with more reps.

That being said... I think his future is in the bullpen.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cory Kluber was the #26 ranked prospect going into 2011 for the Indians... and was a 4th round pick.. he actually profiled very much like Buck Farmer. He was never supposed to end up a front end starter.. it happens.. guys come out of no where all the time.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just so you can see how well the Tigers drafted this year... Here are a few links to guys that were drafting this year and are performing well -

Beau Burrows Beau Burrows Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball
Tyler Alexander Tyler Alexander Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball
Drew Smith Drew Smith Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball
Trey Teakell Trey Teakell Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball
Jake Shull Jake Shull Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball
Alec Kinsena Alec Kisena Stats, Highlights, Bio | MiLB.com Stats | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

Here is also a link to the Dominican League Tigers.. the league where a ton of the Tigers international players under 18 are playing. Julio Martinez and Hector Martinez are both looking very good and will probably make the prospect lists next year when they both are 18 and in full season ball.
The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | MiLB.com Clubs

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCann and Holaday I think are the future catchers for the Tigers..... McCann for sure he has done a great job this year hitting and throwing out runners..... just think that the pitchers should be throwing to these guys...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are going to have to agree to disagree on Farmer. He has every tool to be a good starter. His scouting report shows this.

His repertoire consists of a fastball -- which sits in the low 90s and tops out around 95 -- an above average change-up (plus potential) and a fringe slider-curve combo. When he's on, he's pounding the strikezone and mixing all his pitches

The curveball is a bit slow at 72-75 miles per hour, but features good bite, and tight spin when he snaps a good one off. Farmer drops down a bit in his delivery, which can prohibit his fingers from getting on top of the pitch, and it can come out of the side of his hand. With more repetition and work, the curveball should be a tick above average, or even a plus pitch.

Farmer's changeup is advanced for a right-handed pitcher at this point as well. He has the ability to throw it for a strike, even as the first pitch in a sequence. It's not a swing-and-miss pitch necessarily, even though it possesses good movement, but comes out of the same arm slot as his other pitches, and is about 10 miles per hour slower. It's pretty close to a major league average pitch at this point, and should also get better with more reps.

That being said... I think his future is in the bullpen.

Have you seen when Farmer is on? Seriously.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong Vice, I love when people plagiarize the work of others, but it's going to take more in order to sell me on Buck Farmer being a legitimate trade chip. (Which is what my initial response was on.)

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong Vice, I love when people plagiarize the work of others, but it's going to take more in order to sell me on Buck Farmer being a legitimate trade chip. (Which is what my initial response was on.)

That isn't plagiarizing smitty... I clearly said it was from a scouting report. Maybe I should have quoted or used italics to be even more clear.. but I figured the lead in saying "the scouting report shows this" was clear enough that I was cutting and pasting.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said... you and I obviously have different views of the way we look at prospects. When I look at a young guys potential I am not as concerned about a few blips... as a young guy is not going to be polished, will make mistakes that cost him, and won't have the same command as a matured in his prime player.

Buck Farmer had went 4 dominant innings in his last start before giving up a big inning. He has the potential to be good. There is a huge difference between giving up a big inning and giving up hits in every inning you pitch... In no way shape or form is it out of the realm of possibility Buck Farmer could be a middle of the rotation starter at some point. My guess is back end or bullpen.. but to act like the guy is a total scrub after 5 career starts at the age of 24 is being obtuse.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ventura is 24, lol

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smitty Don't be so quick to judge young pitchers sometimes it takes young pitchers a couple of years to develop into good pitchers. Below are hardly the stats of a hall of famer except it's Sandy Koufax's first 6 years age 19-25.You just never know some develop some don't it takes time patience my friend.

SEASON TEAM GP GS CG SHO IP H ER HR BB SO W L SV WAR WHIP ERA
1955 BKN 12 5 2 2 41.2 33 14 2 28 30 2 2 0 0.8 1.46 3.02
1956 BKN 16 10 0 0 58.2 66 32 10 29 30 2 4 0 -0.4 1.62 4.91
1957 BKN 34 13 2 0 104.1 83 45 14 51 122 5 4 0 1.2 1.28 3.88
1958 LA 40 26 5 0 158.2 132 79 19 105 131 11 11 1 1.0 1.49 4.48
1959 LA 35 23 6 1 153.1 136 69 23 92 173 8 6 2 2.0 1.49 4.05
1960 LA 37 26 7 2 175.0 133 76 20 100 197 8 13 1 1.3 1.33 3.91

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ventura is 24, lol
Bums back on Tigers threads... lol... I guess that happens when Daddy Tigers spanks the kid Royals. Ventura sucks harder than Farmer.... Has WAY MORE MLB STARTS... has a bad attitude... and THAT is why he will not make it. Teams don't have patience for hot heads with 5+ era's.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to laugh that Burfboy liked Smitty's plagiarizing quote yet he cut and pastes lineups every game. At least I said what I was posting was a scouting report.