• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys I have no idea why the Tigers keep in the minors as a starter...

Tommy Collier - 25 yrs old... middle of the road success... could be tried as a reliever
Josh Turley - 24 yrs old .... middle of the road success... could be tried as a reliever
Thad Weber - 30 yrs old ... come on man.. if he isn't good as a starter at 30.. when will he be?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Legares can't hit. It's a platoon. Cespedes will still play left when JL plays.

I appreciate his arm.

I'm not into any more high priced 30 year olds.

Totally agree smitty.... The Tigers can't keep signing 30+ yr olds to long contracts. Its fine if its 3/4 yr deal... but long term deals for guys in the middle of their prime end up bad quickly.

It really shouldn't be that hard to develop a LFer... its the easiest defensive position in the outfield and one of the easiest in the game if you have any sense of athletic ability.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would work for some old farts, too. Alfredo Simon is a mediocre-to-poor starter. Last season's first half was a complete fluke. But with a still-decent fastball and a good split-finger, I think he'd be useful in one-inning stints.

The Tigers just don't seem to know how to develop relievers from scratch. They need to go get one of the guys from a team like the marlins or the cards that is in charge of player development in the minors... those teams never have issues finding a guy that can get 3 outs in the pen.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be one of the few that isn't that upset about VMarts contract... its a 4 year deal... with only 3 left on it. He could easily bounce back and be productive next year. They just need to keep tabs on his offseason workouts so he doesn't screw up his knee again.

The killer deals are the 100+ mil deals or worse the 200+ deals that are handed out. I am going to be laughing my ass off when Scherzer has an era in the 5's in 2 yrs and everyone is saying his contract is the worst of all time... meanwhile they were calling for Detroit to resign him.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wednesday Nite
Gose
Iggy
Kinsler
VMart
JD
Nick
Collins
Marte
McCann
Boyd on the hill. ...

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a good thing that the Farmboy not pitching tonight .... if I have to listen to that fucking Rex Hudler tonight I am NOT watching the game

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree smitty.... The Tigers can't keep signing 30+ yr olds to long contracts. Its fine if its 3/4 yr deal... but long term deals for guys in the middle of their prime end up bad quickly.

It really shouldn't be that hard to develop a LFer... its the easiest defensive position in the outfield and one of the easiest in the game if you have any sense of athletic ability.
I could handle a cheap lefty and Rajai if he is resigned platooning if money was spent on a pitching upgrade. I wouldn't mind Collins as the 4th outfielder if a lefty is signed for left.

Like you said, it's not a demanding position and you aren't really looking for more than a 6th hitter if Miggy is healthy. The great arm isn't a necessity in left. But Cespedes does have a great arm. Wouldn't mind a short deal. Even four years would be too long imo.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really like the backend of the bullpen.

Even if they had blown the save, Wilson could go thru the 11th.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two prospects for Price to win so far... 7 innings... 1 run... Boyd isn't even the best prospect outside of Norris.... Fulmer is. Tigers future pitching prospects got brighter... one of these guys will probably be traded in the offseason for an established pitcher.. My guess is Boyd.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If these guys are ready to pitch next year why would you trade one of them..... if you have the pitching in house why not use the money you have for other positions? I've seen the list you have posted up of free agent pitchers and it is not an impressive bunch.... I like the kid the Tigers got from Pittsburgh he could be moved to another position like 3rd base or the outfield..... I am no expert just responding to the posts I have read....

Winnipegger

Detroit Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If these guys are ready to pitch next year why would you trade one of them..... if you have the pitching in house why not use the money you have for other positions? I've seen the list you have posted up of free agent pitchers and it is not an impressive bunch.... I like the kid the Tigers got from Pittsburgh he could be moved to another position like 3rd base or the outfield..... I am no expert just responding to the posts I have read....

I think counting on these young guys to is a huge gamble, and it would be gambling with the twilight of Miggy's prime.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think counting on these young guys to is a huge gamble, and it would be gambling with the twilight of Miggy's prime.

This is exactly why you trade one of them. You are not going to rely on a rotation with 2 young guys with a team built to win now unless those guys are top flight pitchers. Norris obviously is, Boyd has potential, but is no where near the polished pitcher the Tigers need. If he can be flipped for a guy like Cashner of the Padres or something similiar (still young, but MLB experienced) I think that happens. Who knows... maybe Boyd ends this season on a high note, and the Tigers feel comfortable with both Norris and him in the rotation next year.

As for the free agent list of pitchers... This years free agent crop of starters is probably the deepest it has ever been. You may not get excited about a guy like Latos or Leake, but trust me... they are good pitchers that would upgrade Detroit's rotation.... and that isn't even mentioning the top level guys like Price, Zimmerman, Samardzija, Greinke, or Cueto. I can't think of a year that 4 or 5 legit #1's have been in the same free agent class.

The rest of the free agent class stinks. Only a handful of outfielders worth a damn... and pretty much nothing to be had in the infield. Not much in the way of bullpen arms either.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could be right and a decision will be made on what they do the rest of the season one time out doesn't make you a star.... but some of these so called super free agents aren't so super.... like I said I am NOT an expert but maybe fill one hole in the starting rotation to go along with Sanchez and Verlander and then go from there.... we will also see through the rest of the season what the guys in the bullpen has to offer..... hopefully the Tigers play players that they hope are going to be around next season and not use guys like Avila just because.....

Winnipegger

Detroit Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are there strings attached to Darren O'Day being a free agent? I think Detroit would be a attractive landing spot for a guy like him.

I'd love to turn Boyd or Fullmer into Andrew Cashner. That dude has got the stuff of a number 2-3 starter. Let San Diego worry about whether or not prospects are going turn into (5 years from now) what they just got rid of (now)

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers have young pieces in the minors that could and should get a shot in the pen. Wilson and Hardy are great examples of how good solid bullpen arms can come from players nobody even thought anything of.

You don't have to be in love with the free agent starters to understand one thing.... if you put any combination of 2 of the top 15 starting pitching free agents into the Tigers rotation next year of Verlander, Sanchez, and Norris... it will be better than this years rotation. I don't think that can really be argued.

Al Avila was pretty clear that Alex Avila won't get special treatment... and by what he said... I take it as he will let him sign someplace else. He mentioned how uncomfortable it is for him to have his son on the team... so I doubt he is coming back. Avila has NOTHING to do with the Tigers struggles this year by the way. Everything comes back to pitching... When the Tigers were getting 7-8 innings from the starters... they were winning... as soon as guys like Greene and Simon started to poop the bed.. the bullpen started to collapse from being thrown out there to much.

The Tigers offense was and still is one of the better units in the entire MLB. Tigers fans have a habit of zeroing in on one guy and Avila is the 2015 version of that... when in reality... Alex Avila is the least of the Tigers issues. Even bringing up his name is pretty pointless. If you want to point fingers at guys that should be DFA'd tomorrow... look at Simon, Feliz, or Ausmus.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are there strings attached to Darren O'Day being a free agent? I think Detroit would be a attractive landing spot for a guy like him.

I'd love to turn Boyd or Fullmer into Andrew Cashner. That dude has got the stuff of a number 2-3 starter. Let San Diego worry about whether or not prospects are going turn into (5 years from now) what they just got rid of (now)

Tigers are literally in love with Fullmer and I doubt he is traded... the way DD and Avila spoke about him after he was traded for... I think they put him right up there with Norris as a future in the Tigers rotation.

I could see the Tigers trading Buck Farmer and Boyd for Cashner though...

Winnipegger

Detroit Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers are literally in love with Fullmer and I doubt he is traded... the way DD and Avila spoke about him after he was traded for... I think they put him right up there with Norris as a future in the Tigers rotation.

I could see the Tigers trading Buck Farmer and Boyd for Cashner though...
I dig that.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would anyone willingly want Buck Farmer to pitch for them?

I'm kinda serious. Cuz I don't want to see him again in any sort of situation where the games is within 6-7 runs.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say that Avila was the reason for the Tigers state of affairs but simply stated there is no reason for him to play again this season..... you have a great way of putting words in other people's mouths Vice..... I am just trying to get some information and perspective of where we are going don't need great long dissertations of how some Tiger fans are this or R that..... I read everyone's posts and am interested not interested in how stupid I am..... carry on

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thursday afternoon at Comerica
Gose
Iggy
Kinsler
VMart