• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol I believe you also rated Buck Farmer as an up and coming pitcher that would fit into the rotation.

Buck Farmer now has 8 MLB appearances (5 starts) and has a 9.55 ERA and a WHIP of 1.83. OUCH! That "potential" had better turn into results pretty soon, or he's gonna be selling cars next year.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome move by DD. Tigers need to resign him. He replenished their farm with all free agents to be. This is what he should have did with max. Glad he learned from his mistake. Btw cespedes was having a career year, I thought he might playing with miggy. He very well could resign in Detroit, would love to have him back. Interested to see how Norris and fullmer do.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because we have to start someone like buck farmer is the reason the Tigers were sellers.... you can't go on a run and put that type of pitching on the mound....

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome move by DD. Tigers need to resign him. He replenished their farm with all free agents to be. This is what he should have did with max. Glad he learned from his mistake.

I was thinking the same thing, laker. I know the Tigers were in "win now" mode last year, but in hindsight, getting zippo for a pitcher with Max's value really hurt. I frankly wanted him traded as soon as he turned down the $144 MILL offer, because it was pretty clear at that point he wouldn't be coming back.

DD did about as well as you can do this year. It's always tougher to trade guys who are unsigned for the next season, and he got some valuable prospects.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Vice...tell us more about Steven Moya. lol I believe you also rated Buck Farmer as an up and coming pitcher that would fit into the rotation. (Now watch the hedging....lmao).

LOL... Show me one post where I "rated Buck Farmer as an up and coming pitcher". Buck Farmer is 24 years old. Look at Robbie Ray this year. Bet DD wishes he could take Robbie Ray back for Greene. Does anyone here think Robbie Ray isn't better than Greene? Giving up on a young pitcher because of one bad season at the age of 21-25 is bad management. Greene looked great through 10 starts last year... now he is crap. Ray looked like crap through a handful of starts last year.. now he looks great... Judging a young player off a few starts is idiotic even by your standards iffy. I am not that high on Farmer, but I do think he will be a back end starter at the very least and could easily end up being a very good pitcher with a little more maturity and time. Steven Moya will never hit for average but easily could have a few 20+ HR seasons with decent defense. Not every player that is all star caliber comes up at the age of 23 and does well. But many hit the age of 27-28 and have huge break throughs.

Iffy cracks me up. He literally never posts using facts... His arguments are meant to do nothing more than stir the pot. If the Tigers are winning... he is silent. I love his comments on prospects. Even better are his comments on players like Castellanos where he calls for him to be traded for peanuts...

Giving up on players before they are 26/27 years old doesn't end well often for the team that gave up on them . Ask the Astro's about JD Martinez.

Last edited:

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking the same thing, laker. I know the Tigers were in "win now" mode last year, but in hindsight, getting zippo for a pitcher with Max's value really hurt. I frankly wanted him traded as soon as he turned down the $144 MILL offer, because it was pretty clear at that point he wouldn't be coming back.

DD did about as well as you can do this year. It's always tougher to trade guys who are unsigned for the next season, and he got some valuable prospects.

I agree. Tigers should have traded Scherzer last year... It sucks they basically gave him up for a draft pick player that will be lucky to be Delmon Young caliber.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun Facts For Iffy -

Dallas Keuchel

24 yr old rookie ERA - 5.27 Currently 27 yr old ERA - 2.35
David Price

23 yr old rookie ERA - 4.42 Currently 29 yr old ERA - 2.45
Garrett Richards

24 yr old rookie ERA - 5.79 Currently 27 yr old ERA - 3.38

Huh... its almost like young pitchers can get better...

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always chuckle over the the ramblings of the "prospect guys". They pronounce all of them studs of the future and then slowly back away, babbling some sort of disclaimer about their original remarks. Just don't have the time to waste on that stuff. Have a good evening and a Jose Tabata to you all.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always chuckle over the the ramblings of the "prospect guys". They pronounce all of them studs of the future and then slowly back away, babbling some sort of disclaimer about their original remarks. Just don't have the time to waste on that stuff. Have a good evening and a Jose Tabata to you all.

Iffy is the king of backing away from statements. The guy says things with no other reason than to get a rise out of people... then when what ever he says becomes proven as wrong.. he slinks away to another idiotic statement and acts like the one before it didn't happen. Iffy acts like he is the prophet of MLB by proclaiming things after they happen... Captain Hindsight... that is your new name Iffy.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome move by DD. Tigers need to resign him. He replenished their farm with all free agents to be. This is what he should have did with max. Glad he learned from his mistake. Btw cespedes was having a career year, I thought he might playing with miggy. He very well could resign in Detroit, would love to have him back. Interested to see how Norris and fullmer do.
Would have liked your post if you stopped prior to the Cespedes part. The second sentence of the Cespedes part anyway.

No thanks on his return. Unless it's somehow a two year deal. Atleast we wouldn't lose a pick on him.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would have liked your post if you stopped prior to the Cespedes part. The second sentence of the Cespedes part anyway.

No thanks on his return. Unless it's somehow a two year deal. At least we wouldn't lose a pick on him.

Depends who else is available. I'm not a fan of Cespedes' free swinging/low walk rate, but everything else about him is a plus. Extra-base power (18 HR, 31 doubles so far this season), great range and arm in LF, and above-average baserunning speed. He'll likely get $15-$16 mill a season in free agency. If we can find someone better in that range, or have an up-and-comer we truly believe in that will play on the cheap and free up money for pitching, then okay. If not, re-signing Cesp may be our best option.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends who else is available. I'm not a fan of Cespedes' free swinging/low walk rate, but everything else about him is a plus. Extra-base power (18 HR, 31 doubles so far this season), great range and arm in LF, and above-average baserunning speed. He'll likely get $15-$16 mill a season in free agency. If we can find someone better in that range, or have an up-and-comer we truly believe in that will play on the cheap and free up money for pitching, then okay. If not, re-signing Cesp may be our best option.
His free swinging really gets to me. And while he does have very good speed on the bases, he's not the best base runner.

Streaky hitter with a great arm. (I haven't been overly impressed with him as a defender outside of his arm. Which is an incredible arm.)We could do much worse, but Id rather see any and all BIG FA signings be on the pitching end.

Corner outfield should be one of the easiest places to find offense.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the most high profile corner outfielders that are free agents:

Yoenis Cespedes (30)
Alejandro De Aza (32)
Alex Gordon (32) – $12.5MM player option
Gerardo Parra (29)
Justin Upton (28)
Jose Bautista (35) – $14MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Jason Heyward (26)
Ichiro Suzuki (42)

Bautista will be brought back. Heyward is going to take a VERY long deal to secure... maybe 10 years/ 200 mil. Upton is probably going to be in the 6/7yr 120/140 mil range.... though is stock took a little hit this year and he might be smart to take a shorter deal to rebuild his value and go back into free agency in his 31/32 yr.

I could see the Tigers signing Alex Gordon for 4yrs/60 mil. Not that I would be that impressed with it. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Tigers sign Cespedes either.. but he will get more than Gordon. Upton may be in play if he will take a 3 or 4 year deal for 60/70 mil.

My value pick would be Parra. He isn't going to get the mega contract the others will, he is still under 30, and he is batting .323 with 9 hr this year and is a career .280 hitter with GREAT defense.

I threw in Ichiro, but I fully expect the Marlins to keep him for nothing more than the TV rights they get to show games in Japan. Marlins are making $20 mil off Japanese Tv rights and only paying ichiro 5 mil... Loria... LOL.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather the Tigers use their 50 mil on 1 top end starter and 1 middle of the road starter like a Gallardo or Buerhle. Spend a couple of sheckles on relievers, but nothing to crazy to add depth.

Go into next season with a much stronger rotation, Collins or Moya at one of the corners, and have the ability to add offense at the deadline if needed.

I have a feeling DD is going to add a big name pitcher that was traded and doesn't have a qualifying offer (Leake, Latos, Cueto, or Kazmir) and make a trade for a younger guy that has MLB experience like a Cashner.

If the Tigers take 35 of their 50 mil they have to spend on free agents and put it into 2 starters.. they can easily be right back to having a legit 5 guys on the mound, and still leave 15 mil to get bullpen depth and bench players. Screw paying big money to a free agent outfielder... although I am pretty sure they will. Collins/Moya/Fields can man LF until the trade deadline when a LFer could be snatched.

Last edited:

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see the Tigers signing Alex Gordon for 4yrs/60 mil. Not that I would be that impressed with it. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Tigers sign Cespedes either.. but he will get more than Gordon. Upton may be in play if he will take a 3 or 4 year deal for 60/70 mil.

Interestingly, Gordon and Cespedes have the same career BA (.269). Biggest difference is that Gordon takes more walks and has a career .350 OBP. A slight drop in HR power for Gordo, but he has had seasons of 45 and 51 doubles. The fact that he bats left-handed and the Tigers are starved for LH hitting makes him more appealing than Cespedes, too.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interestingly, Gordon and Cespedes have the same career BA (.269). Biggest difference is that Gordon takes more walks and has a career .350 OBP. A slight drop in HR power for Gordo, but he has had seasons of 45 and 51 doubles. The fact that he bats left-handed and the Tigers are starved for LH hitting makes him more appealing than Cespedes, too.

I think Gordon would be a good fit.. I just don't want to see the Tigers spend big on a LFer and short change the rotation again. If they can get 2 good pitchers AND Gordon... I am ok with it.. but the Tigers need to add 2 good pitchers to the rotation before they worry about LF.

Guys like Fister, Buerhle, Brett Anderson, RA Dickey, Marco Estrada, Gallardo, Latos, Lackey, Lincecum, Chris Young... they can be had on short term or cheap contracts and would be fine at the back end of the rotation...

But I want to see the Tigers get a top end arm.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am actually really hoping the Tigers get Latos.. he is young (28) and has ace potential still. He could be a huge steal if they get him on a short contract.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Gordon would be a good fit.. I just don't want to see the Tigers spend big on a LFer and short change the rotation again. If they can get 2 good pitchers AND Gordon... I am ok with it.. but the Tigers need to add 2 good pitchers to the rotation before they worry about LF.

I'm with you on that. Pitching is clearly the bigger need.

Parra, which you mentioned, is also an LH bat. If he is that much cheaper than Gordon, I'd be fine with him, too.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tuesday at Comerica
DD has been released....Daddy Avila in charge...
Davis
Iggy
Kinsler
VMart
JD
McCann
Nick
Marte
Gose
JV on the hill. ....

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave Dombrowski out, Al Avila in. Presser going on now.