• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

dengel6

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the HAWK would say "he gone" Bye bye Dumbo. Ilitch is ALIVE and STILL sound of mind. Dumbo not only signed ALL those stupid contracts (JV, Miggy AND Victor). let great players leave town(Max, Doug, Austin, Raburn), he depleted the farm system.

Time to fire Assmus.:10:

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the HAWK would say "he gone" Bye bye Dumbo. Ilitch is ALIVE and STILL sound of mind. Dumbo not only signed ALL those stupid contracts (JV, Miggy AND Victor). let great players leave town(Max, Doug, Austin, Raburn), he depleted the farm system.

Time to fire Assmus.:10:
LOL
You have to be joking. HAHHAHAHAH You lost any sense of sanity when you mentioned Ryan Raburn as a great player to leave town... You sir have the IQ of a peanut shell.

Last edited:

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers fans that don't acknowledge the transformation that Dombrowski over saw from perennial shit bag team to perennial title contender and make comments like the clown above me are what is wrong with America. The guy made it to two world series and won 4 division titles. He made the team relevant again. Thank You Dave Dombrowski for taking Detroit back to relevance and for leading a team through tough times and giving those in Michigan something to cheer for when everything else in the state was crumbling.

If anyone deserves a standing ovation from the Tigers... Its Dombrowski... Good luck to you sir!

Winnipegger

Detroit Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe DD wanted a new start somewhere else, and wasn't interested in staying. :noidea:

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers fans that don't acknowledge the transformation that Dombrowski over saw from perennial shit bag team to perennial title contender and make comments like the clown above me are what is wrong with America. The guy made it to two world series and won 4 division titles. He made the team relevant again. Thank You Dave Dombrowski for taking Detroit back to relevance and for leading a team through tough times and giving those in Michigan something to cheer for when everything else in the state was crumbling.

If anyone deserves a standing ovation from the Tigers... Its Dombrowski... Good luck to you sir!

Absolutely ... Thank You Mr. Dombrowski. Good luck on you next venture, may it be in the National League.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Fulmer goes 6.2 with 6k and 0 runs allowed today for Erie...

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Streaky hitter with a great arm. (I haven't been overly impressed with him as a defender outside of his arm. Which is an incredible arm.)We could do much worse, but Id rather see any and all BIG FA signings be on the pitching end.
He was THE best LF in the game this year.. No contest. How can you NOT appreciate his defense? He plays CF for the Mets right now for comparison's sake..

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm shocked that Dombroski got the heave ho over Ausmus.. I really hope he gets fired soon..

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-New York has been quite cautious in handing out massive, multi-year deals, and Cespedes has positioned himself nicely for the upcoming free agent market. Sources tell Carig that they expect his representatives to seek a deal in the $120MM to $150MM range. -

If Cespedes wants 120-150 mil.... someone else can have him. Tigers need to put their money into starting pitching. A short term deal for a LF or a trade would be fine... but paying a free agent 30 yr old 120 mil to play LF is dumb.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take Avila's comments on his son as him being unlikely to even negotiate with Alex to bring him back. I am willing to wager that Alex Avila ends up signing for some other team like the Marlins or Tampa.

This offseason is going to be a huge tell about what Al Avila is all about as a GM. His background is as a scout in Latin America where he found Miggy for the Marlins. I would be really happy if the Tigers started to actually spend on international prospects, focused on developing outfield talent and bullpen guys, while maintaining Dombrowski's system of getting established players for the starting rotation and infield.

The easiest and cheapest positions to develop are corner outfielders and bullpen arms. Teams like the Marlins, A's, Cards, Royals, ect all are able to keep producing these positions on the regular. It saves money to spend on other harder to develop positions like Starter or SS/CF/2nd.

The Tigers have drafted a ton of arms in the last 3 years. There is no excuse why they can not start building a pen out of these guys instead of chasing a high priced closer. I have a bad feeling Avila is going to do just that...

Tigers need to quit spending money on old burn out closer types and invest in international prospects that can quickly end up in the back in of the pen throwing 100 mph. The Royals don't seem to need to spend to sign a free agent closer... Why do the Tigers?

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New York has been quite cautious in handing out massive, multi-year deals, and Cespedes has positioned himself nicely for the upcoming free agent market. Sources tell Carig that they expect his representatives to seek a deal in the $120MM to $150MM range. -

If Cespedes wants 120-150 mil.... someone else can have him. Tigers need to put their money into starting pitching. A short term deal for a LF or a trade would be fine... but paying a free agent 30 yr old 120 mil to play LF is dumb.

ANY General Manager willing to give Cespedes 6-7 years at $120+ Mill is certifiably insane. He's good, but nowhere near that good.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers currently stand to get the 12th pick in the draft... This matters because the top 10 picks are protected from being lost when signing a player with a qualifying offer. The Tigers would only have to give up their second rounder to sign a top free agent if they fall into the top 10 picks in the draft. Something to watch.

Call me what you want.... but after seeing the Tigers success of the last few years I am perfectly happy to see them tank the rest of this season... get a top 5-10 draft pick... sign a top free agent or two... and be right back to being a vegas favorite to win the WS.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I echoed this with some locals on facebook yesterday who just wanted to bash DD for the bullpen. They must have forgotten the 12 straight losing seasons (1994-2005) and the absolute decimation of the team during the Randy Smith era. DD not only made the team relevant, but he (along with Ilitch) made Detroit a destination where free agents actually wanted to be. No, he didn't bring a World Series championship, but the team got there twice. The fact that the Tiger players (favored in both Series) choked it away is not on Dombrowski.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I echoed this with some locals on facebook yesterday who just wanted to bash DD for the bullpen. They must have forgotten the 12 straight losing seasons (1994-2005) and the absolute decimation of the team during the Randy Smith era. DD not only made the team relevant, but he (along with Ilitch) made Detroit a destination where free agents actually wanted to be. No, he didn't bring a World Series championship, but the team got there twice. The fact that the Tiger players (favored in both Series) choked it away is not on Dombrowski.

People act like Dombrowski didn't try to shore up the pen... He drafted college relievers high just to be able to move them quickly to the MLB roster.. a huge mistake by the way... He signed Nathan ( fans wanted it at the time and was panned as a smart move when done) He traded for Soria ( gave up the #65 overall prospect to get him in Jake Thompson) He traded for Vargas, He signed Benoit... its not like he just sat there and did nothing.. Many of his moves to make the pen better were given high grades until they failed...

Signing or trading for relievers is a HUGE risk. They have a lifespan of about 1.5 seasons before they take a huge dump. The teams with great bullpens have them because they signed the youthful guys and have them in their prime... Do you see the Marlins paying big for a reliever? No.. and they keep having a solid pen. So do the Rays, So do the Cards.

If the Tigers just put more investment into their farm they would be able to both trade for established players AND fill bullpen spots/corner outfield spots/ ect. Look at Toronto.. they still have a better farm than the Tigers and they have made a ton of huge trades in the last 4 or so years involving their farm system.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the Gorzelanny signing too. Seemed like a way better LH option than Phil Coke. But lordy, Gorzelanny blew ass this season.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have said this 1000 times. Investing big money in a free agent reliever is a recipe for a bad contract. They rarely work. Now spending 10 mil on a few young top arms from cuba, dominican republic, or venezuala, when they are 16 and developing them so that you have 5-10 good arms at the age of 20... now that is a winning formula.

Tigers need to quit pussy footing around on international signings. Go in big there a few times and watch the flowers grow where weeds used to be.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the Gorzelanny signing too. Seemed like a way better LH option than Phil Coke. But lordy, Gorzelanny blew ass this season.

He is a prime example of lifespan of a reliever... I just know the Tigers are going to end up spending on a top reliever this off season... and I am going to be here ranting... stop investing in old fucks and invest in 10 young arms...

The other issue I have with the Tigers is their reluctance to shift a starting pitching prospect to the bullpen permanently. Verhagen is a prime example of a guy that should have been throwing out of the pen long ago. Look at Blaine Hardy... he is a solid reliever.. but was a starter in the minors... The Tigers have plenty of young starters they drafted in the last 3 years... move guys that are middle of the road starters to bullpen roles and see if they take off. Every single KC Royal bullpen arm they developed was drafted as a starter and failed miserably... Wade Davis sucks ass as a starter... but in 1 inning he is great...Why can't the Tigers do this with guys like Kyle Ryan... Ryan IS NOT A MLB STARTER.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was THE best LF in the game this year.. No contest. How can you NOT appreciate his defense? He plays CF for the Mets right now for comparison's sake..
Because Legares can't hit. It's a platoon. Cespedes will still play left when JL plays.

I appreciate his arm.

I'm not into any more high priced 30 year olds.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...move guys that are middle of the road starters to bullpen roles and see if they take off. Every single KC Royal bullpen arm they developed was drafted as a starter and failed miserably... Wade Davis sucks ass as a starter... but in 1 inning he is great...

It would work for some old farts, too. Alfredo Simon is a mediocre-to-poor starter. Last season's first half was a complete fluke. But with a still-decent fastball and a good split-finger, I think he'd be useful in one-inning stints.