• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers trades will look something like this -

Price - Major league ready young starter (Heaney from the Angels? Daniel Norris from Toronto? + Mid level prospect)

Cespedes - Major league pitcher like Niese from the Mets or young mid level pitching prospect

Soria - I wouldn't be surprised to see Price and Soria in the same trade to get a better prospect like Norris. Alone I would say Soria will fetch a mid level pitching prospect at least.

All the other parts might land some low level prospects that are high risk high ceiling types.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams like Houston, LA (both), Toronto, SF will be bidding against each other with the understanding the only way the Tigers trade Price is if they get more value than the comp pick they would receive.... Tigers could easily plug 2 holes in next years rotation with the trades of Price/Soria/Cespedes

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. Tigers will sweep Mariners and thus shoot themselves in the foot. DD will be forced to keep his potential free agents and get nothing but a draft pick for Price. Addle-brained fans will be screaming next season when the team is packed with second rate free agents and AAA stumble bums. The farm system will look like a bunch of Little League teams from the Ukraine.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get the sweep, and we'll see where we are.

still a highly suspect team that has a BP that blows.... never get past a WC game, imo. and all for nothing when you could get something now for a few

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Season over with that grand slam... now DD needs to work the phones to set the table for next year.

Iffy.... you do realize the tigers have 2 full drafts without trading anyone away right? The farm won't be anywhere near the bottom when the rankings come out next year... not only did the tigers last 2 drafts bode well for pitching depth... but they will have at least a few new prospects after the trades...

I should expect nothing less though iffy... you are the opposite of a homer... you have no idea the actual players in the Tigers farm... all you do is doom and gloom for your own sick enjoyment....

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vice versus Iffy.

It's a blast from the past night.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know about "boatloads" of cash. They likely lose Price ($19.75 mill) and Cespedes (about $10 mill). Nathan ($10 mill) also comes off the books. They have SOME money to spend if they plan to stay at or near $180 million for the team. But not "boatloads". They are still carrying some very hefty contracts:

Verlander = $28 mill/4 additional years commitment
Cabrera = $30 mill/8 additional years commitment
V-mart = $17 mill/3 additional years commitment
Sanchez = $16 mill
Kinsler = $17 mill

Plus J. D. Martinez (All-Star) is arbitration eligible in 2016 and 2017. What do you think he'll command if he tops 40 HR? Iglesias (All-Star) is also arbitration eligible. There's a pretty big payroll bump coming just to keep these two.
. It'd be nice if they could get JV to go Bobby Bonilla with his contract.

If somehow DD could toss Kinsler or VMart into the Price deal, we'd have boatloads. But otherwise we have 4 guys in or near their mid thirties making more than about 1/3 of franchises total.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vice versus Iffy.

It's a blast from the past night.
Iffy would come on CBS and talk about how bad the Tigers farm is, and couldn't list one prospect outside of collins, farmer, and moya. If a player hasn't made it to the majors... he has no idea who they are and automatically assumes they suck.. By no means is the Tigers farm system amazing... but the low minors and international leagues are where a lot of the talent is because most of the guys with any promise where drafted in the last 3 drafts... Lakeland / West Michigan / Connecticut Short League / Gulf Coast Tigers / Venezula Tigers / Dominican Tigers

That is where the future is for the Tigers right now... Erie and Toledo only have a handful of guys and have a ton of career minor leaguers because trades sapped the depth at those levels.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
. It'd be nice if they could get JV to go Bobby Bonilla with his contract.

If somehow DD could toss Kinsler or VMart into the Price deal, we'd have boatloads. But otherwise we have 4 guys in or near their mid thirties making more than about 1/3 of franchises total.

Verlander in no way is finished. He still hasn't figured out he isn't going to throw a NO NO every game... once he figures that out and just tries to go 6 - 7 innings and settles in as a pitcher.. he will be useful.. expensive but useful. His velocity is back... his secondary pitches have good depth... he just hasn't controlled them well and left to many balls up in the zone.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iffy would come on CBS and talk about how bad the Tigers farm is, and couldn't list one prospect outside of collins, farmer, and moya. If a player hasn't made it to the majors... he has no idea who they are and automatically assumes they suck.. By no means is the Tigers farm system amazing... but the low minors and international leagues are where a lot of the talent is because most of the guys with any promise where drafted in the last 3 drafts... Lakeland / West Michigan / Connecticut Short League / Gulf Coast Tigers / Venezula Tigers / Dominican Tigers

That is where the future is for the Tigers right now... Erie and Toledo only have a handful of guys and have a ton of career minor leaguers because trades sapped the depth at those levels.
West Michigan is LAST in the Midwest League in homers. (Pitching is less impressive tbh) I work aboot three miles from 5th/3rd and go to games.

Brennan Boesch, Wilkin Ramirez and Gorkys Hernandez all impressed more than anyone there right now, when they were WhiteCaps themselves.

But I like Mike Gerber, Ross Kivet and my boy Joey Pankake. Looking forward to Scivicque (sp?)and the other guys from the recent draft that came from Conneticut last week.

Our farm system is horrible.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have no issue with Kinsler being traded... but I doubt he will be. He is a good defensive 2nd base and average at the plate at the very least... Tigers have no in house replacement that would be anything better... and I doubt he would bring anything back remotely close to his value.

Tigers fans act like selling guys like Price, Soria, or Cespedes means Tigers are going to have a prolonged rebuild. Red Sox recently showed how quickly you can reload... they were sellers at the 2012 deadline then won it all in 2013... They are not going to sell off pieces like Vmart or Kinsler because they are not rebuilding.. they are retooling.. a HUGE difference.

Tigers will be selling guys at the end of their contracts... if they want to they could still resign Price or Cespedes... and what a coupe that would be if they get a high level pitching prospect and some mid level guys and resign one or both... not out of the realm of possibility.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Michigan is LAST in the Midwest League in homers. (Pitching is less impressive tbh) I work aboot three miles from 5th/3rd and go to games.

Brennan Boesch, Wilkin Ramirez and Gorkys Hernandez all impressed more than anyone there right now, when they were WhiteCaps themselves.

But I like Mike Gerber, Ross Kivet and my boy Joey Pankake. Looking forward to Scivicque (sp?)and the other guys from the recent draft that came from Conneticut last week.

Our farm system is horrible.

The farm system is not good.. but to act like there are not guys there that will be quality MLB players is very narrow minded. The tigers drafted a ton of pitchers the last 3 years... I'm not saying they have aces down there.. but they certainly have some guys that can be a Blaine Hardy or Wilson level guy.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander in no way is finished. He still hasn't figured out he isn't going to throw a NO NO every game... once he figures that out and just tries to go 6 - 7 innings and settles in as a pitcher.. he will be useful.. expensive but useful. His velocity is back... his secondary pitches have good depth... he just hasn't controlled them well and left to many balls up in the zone.
Useful would be nice if he shaves 8mil off each season and gets paid until 2038.

His contract will prevent any further FA splashs if something isn't done. And that something isn't going to be him going 200 innings with an ERA under 4. Ship has sailed.

He's been bad for too long for me to realistically view him as an asset. He's a liability. (More of a liability than Simon. Because that guy will be gone in a little over two months.)

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and one of the Tigers most impressive prospects is in West MI... Joe Jimenez.. he is a flat out stud.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Useful would be nice if he shaves 8mil off each season and gets paid until 2038.

His contract will prevent any further FA splashs if something isn't done. And that something isn't going to be him going 200 innings with an ERA under 4. Ship has sailed.

He's been bad for too long for me to realistically view him as an asset. He's a liability. (More of a liability than Simon. Because that guy will be gone in a little over two months.)

Verlander's contract may keep them from spending big last year.. but this offseason they will spend.. most likely not 6 or 7 yr deals.. but they will spend on the 4 -5 year scale... I just think Tiger's are balking at spending 60 mil a year for 2 30+ starting pitchers for the next 7 years.. and I am glad they are

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SELL...SELL...SELL. Get some A and AA talent. The Bismarck North Dakota Boys 11-12 Little League All Stars could hold their own with any team in the Tiger system. They'd probably beat the Tigers if Ausmus started Greene against them.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think Verlander is never going to go 200 innings again under 4 era? He is what 32?

Here is a list of guys currently under 4 era this year that could hit 200 innings same age or older than verlander

chris young
edison velesquez
cj wilson
dan haron
aj burrnett
john lackey
james shields

I know you are pissed about Verlanders performance.. but don't tell me you honestly believe at 32 he will never have a sub 4 era 200 inning season... I am sure nobody thought dan haron would either... or aj burnnett.. or lackey...

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the frustration with the Tigers... I am to. Maybe I am a tad more optimistic... but to think they could not easily field a contending team next year after selling off guys that were going to be free agents anyways... adding some young talent... and having 50-60 mil to spend on starting pitching and LF even AFTER arbitration raises because of all the money coming off the books... you basically didn't watch the red sox do the same exact thing in 2012 when they traded away half their team and ended with 69 wins... reload.. then win it all in 2013.