• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anibal Sanchez wasn't right and obviously tried pitching through an injury... Who knows if he can get healthy.. But he is 31... Not 41... I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanchez was only one pitcher... Even Price gave up 13 HR while he was a Tiger. The Tigers pitching staff as a whole served up HR...
Soria gave up an outrageous amount of long balls too.

Also not on Nick.

Coulve been on the rookie catcher? But nobody is going to blame him, he's clearly solid already behind the plate.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it that the average Tiger fan needs to find a player.. .usually one that is comically not the problem... and harp on it endlessly until he leaves town. Seriously.. I have not noticed other fan bases do this. Don Kelly was ripped for being the 25th man on the roster and not hitting .300 with 20+ HR... I guess now its Castellanos.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name a Tigers pitcher and they probably were either having a career worst year for HR given up or close to it last year.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got that... When you said you don't think he will improve... nor do you think he will hit enough to make up for it... the added bonus of you bringing up his defense in low A ball cemented it.
I never said that.

I said he could improve marginally. Maybe, over time, he can close to average like Howie mentioned earlier. Meanwhile, Mr I will have spent half a billion the first 3 years Nick is at third. I don't see the wait being worth the reward. But I definitely don't see him improving as impossible. Just not impactful enough. (KC was in developmental mode when they stuck with Moose. JV and Miggy make close to what Kansas City did then. Different goals for the respective teams during the time frame. Now they have a 3rd baseman worth starting. And they dealt prospects for pieces, spent money and went for the win. And they got it.)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it that the average Tiger fan needs to find a player.. .usually one that is comically not the problem... and harp on it endlessly until he leaves town. Seriously.. I have not noticed other fan bases do this. Don Kelly was ripped for being the 25th man on the roster and not hitting .300 with 20+ HR... I guess now its Castellanos.
You have no idea how entertaining it is to fuck with you, do you?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buck Farmer.....
Buck Farmer gave up so many HR last year its not even funny.. He is a prime example... The Tigers pitching staff as a whole was god awful last year.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have no idea how entertaining it is to fuck with you, do you?

You have no idea how entertaining it is to respond to your attempts to fuck with me.. so I guess we both get pleasure out of it.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is almost no way the Tigers pitching staff isn't going to improve next year. If they cut down their HR total from 193 to 150 they probably win 10 more games. How many games were lost because of multi run HR given up.. or innings of 3+ runs or more. That loss versus the Twins July is a prime example.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said he could improve marginally. Maybe, over time, he can close to average like Howie mentioned earlier. Meanwhile, Mr I will have spent half a billion the first 3 years Nick is at third. I don't see the wait being worth the reward. But I definitely don't see him improving as impossible. Just not impactful enough. (KC was in developmental mode when they stuck with Moose. JV and Miggy make close to what Kansas City did then. Different goals for the respective teams during the time frame. Now they have a 3rd baseman worth starting. And they dealt prospects for pieces, spent money and went for the win. And they got it.)

There are the defensive metrics that clearly show Castellanos is below average defensively. He doesn't get to some balls that a good 3B should (reflected in the low RF numbers), mainly due to poor footwork/reaction time and/or poor positioning. I think some of that is correctible with hard work, though his feet aren't going to suddenly get faster, so there is a definite ceiling.

Then there is the eyeball test. He doesn't make spectacular plays. That said, it seems to me that he consistently makes the routine plays, and did so in 2015 better than in 2014. He has a strong, accurate arm and doesn't throw the ball away a lot when he makes the play. That, to me, means he doesn't deserve the "butcher" label.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is almost no way the Tigers pitching staff isn't going to improve next year. If they cut down their HR total from 193 to 150 they probably win 10 more games. How many games were lost because of multi run HR given up.. or innings of 3+ runs or more. That loss versus the Twins July is a prime example.

Not to mention the short outings by the starters that taxed an already crummy bullpen. I think Anibal had ONE quality start over his last 10. Simon had maybe 2 QS in the entire second half.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention the short outings by the starters that taxed an already crummy bullpen. I think Anibal had ONE quality start over his last 10. Simon had maybe 2 QS in the entire second half.
Verlander had a few wins taken away from him where he went 6+ innings only to have the bullpen poop the bed. That Twins loss obviously was one of the worst... but Verlander left with a 6-1 lead in the 8th and they lost 8-6 on a walk off 3 run HR served up by Soria.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are the defensive metrics that clearly show Castellanos is below average defensively. He doesn't get to some balls that a good 3B should (reflected in the low RF numbers), mainly due to poor footwork/reaction time and/or poor positioning. I think some of that is correctible with hard work, though his feet aren't going to suddenly get faster, so there is a definite ceiling.

Then there is the eyeball test. He doesn't make spectacular plays. That said, it seems to me that he consistently makes the routine plays, and did so in 2015 better than in 2014. He has a strong, accurate arm and doesn't throw the ball away a lot when he makes the play. That, to me, means he doesn't deserve the "butcher" label.
I can't agree on him making routine plays. He misses line drives, let's balls go five hole, doesn't have lateral quickness(like you said) and has less than impressive hands.

The feet and the hands are where, to me, coaching has a ceiling with him defensively. A player like Cabrera(I'm not holding Nick to his level by any means.) who was a defensive liability, but has excellent hands and quickness for a large player is easier to work with for coaches. Same with a player like Inge, who had soft hands and quick feet. (And a wild, strong arm.)

I agree on his arm being up to snuff.

And I also don't view 3rd as a simple assignment for any player. It's a difficult position to man for sure.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't believe its possible for the Tigers to give up as many HR as they did last year again. The young pitchers like Boyd and Farmer I chalk up their HR totals to not having the confidence to throw a strike on the corner of the plate.. They were working the middle way to much. Sanchez was obviously an injury thing. Simon is gone.. Seriously.. Getting to league average in HR/9 would get the Tigers to 85 wins by itself.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander had a few wins taken away from him where he went 6+ innings only to have the bullpen poop the bed. That Twins loss obviously was one of the worst... but Verlander left with a 6-1 lead in the 8th and they lost 8-6 on a walk off 3 run HR served up by Soria.

Verlander had a QS in 14 of his 20 starts last year, and only 5 wins. If the bullpen didn't fail him, the hitting did.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't agree on him making routine plays. He misses line drives, let's balls go five hole, doesn't have lateral quickness(like you said) and has less than impressive hands.

The feet and the hands are where, to me, coaching has a ceiling with him defensively. A player like Cabrera(I'm not holding Nick to his level by any means.) who was a defensive liability, but has excellent hands and quickness for a large player is easier to work with for coaches. Same with a player like Inge, who had soft hands and quick feet. (And a wild, strong arm.)

I agree on his arm being up to snuff.

And I also don't view 3rd as a simple assignment for any player. It's a difficult position to man for sure.
Castellanos would probably be best served playing 1st. But that isn't going to happen until VMart is gone. Until then... He is going to play 3rd for the Tigers...

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes down to it... The catcher, SS, 2nd base and CF positions are really what make the most difference in terms of defense. Corner outfielders help a ton.. 3rd base defense is one notch above 1st base in terms of importance. The Tigers team defense was actually quite good last year. They ranked top 10 in most team defense stats. When it comes down to it... If the Tigers didn't give up so many HR last year... The end result of the season is much different. A catcher can be blamed to an extent with that... but in the end.. the Tigers pitchers just didn't pitch well last year outside of Price and Verlander.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander had a QS in 14 of his 20 starts last year, and only 5 wins. If the bullpen didn't fail him, the hitting did.

Is there a stat that shows how many runs were given up by HR Howie? I would love to see how many of the Tigers HR were multi run HR.... It seems like they got killed by late inning multi run HR many times last year.