• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Tigers didn't give up so many HR last year... The end result of the season is much different. A catcher can be blamed to an extent with that... but in the end.. the Tigers pitchers just didn't pitch well last year outside of Price and Verlander.

McCann is a superb defensive catcher...much better than Avila. He just needs time to learn opposing hitters and his own pitchers a little more, which was Avila's biggest strength.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubs get Heyward and didn't give him a $200 mil contract...

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCann is a superb defensive catcher...much better than Avila. He just needs time to learn opposing hitters and his own pitchers a little more, which was Avila's biggest strength.
Avila is actually a great defensive catcher himself when he isn't injured or concussed.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a stat that shows how many runs were given up by HR Howie? I would love to see how many of the Tigers HR were multi run HR.... It seems like they got killed by late inning multi run HR many times last year.

Don't know where such a stat exists, but I do believe it was a lot of them. As you said, too many pitchers had a career year in terms of HR allowed.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect S Perez from the Royals to end up like avila soon... All the hits to the head are going to add up soon for him.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avila is actually a great defensive catcher himself when he isn't injured or concussed.

Avila is/was great defensively. But McCann is outstanding. 41% CS rate in his rookie season (Avila's best-ever season was 34%), and McCann went through all of 2015 without an error.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers signed a bunch of fecal matter to minor league contracts today.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avila probably won't be in the league in a year from now. Concussions are going to be the end of him.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cards are having an awful offseason... They will probably win the NL Central again.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avila probably won't be in the league in a year from now. Concussions are going to be the end of him.

I blame all the foul tips to the head (and various extremities) partially on the pitchers the Tigers had. Fister, Scherzer, Sanchez, and later Price ... all have ridiculous late movement on their pitches, leading to a lot of foul tips. Verlander induces a crapload of foul balls, too.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Tigers aren't at least a finalist for Yaisel Sierra... I am going to go nuts... If that kid signs in LA.. its not even fair. The Tigers need to start signing some of these young cuban kids.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salvador Perez is going to go the way of Mauer and Avila soon. I doubt that Perez is going to be behind the plate after 2016. He probably will play first when Hosmer is traded.. which could happen this trade deadline if the Royals are out of contention... which isn't far fetched. They have been able to win with shit starters for a long time because of bullpens that were lights out... Lifespans of bullpen arms isn't long.. I doubt W Davis is going to put up the numbers he has the last two years... and the rest of the guys they have coming up aren't world beaters. Don't be surprised if the Royals bullpen regresses big time this year.. and they won't have the starting pitching to eat innings at all. The depth the Royals had in the bullpen is a fraction of what it was.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Castellanos would probably be best served playing 1st. But that isn't going to happen until VMart is gone. Until then... He is going to play 3rd for the Tigers...
I have no idea if he'd be any better at first than he is third. His arm is his best asset. It's negated at first. His range would be the same, which is poor. And his lackluster hands would be a bigger issue, imo.

DH is where I see his prime hitting years coming from tbh. Victor will be gone by then. Not sure if Nick will be or not.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea if he'd be any better at first than he is third. His arm is his best asset. It's negated at first. His range would be the same, which is poor. And his lackluster hands would be a bigger issue, imo.

DH is where I see his prime hitting years coming from tbh. Victor will be gone by then. Not sure if Nick will be or not.
You don't need range at first. First base defense is the least important on the field. Castellanos isn't going to DH... Miggy will.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I blame all the foul tips to the head (and various extremities) partially on the pitchers the Tigers had. Fister, Scherzer, Sanchez, and later Price ... all have ridiculous late movement on their pitches, leading to a lot of foul tips. Verlander induces a crapload of foul balls, too.
He sits closer to the plate than any other catcher too. Balls that miss most, or glance, hit him square.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't need range at first. First base defense is the least important on the field. Castellanos isn't going to DH... Miggy will.
Well that's great. Cuz his poor range will be the same at first as it is at third. Like I said the first time...

As I already stated once, his hands would be a bigger issue.

Don't see first helping him be less of a defensive burden on his team.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's great. Cuz his poor range will be the same at first as it is at third. Like I said the first time...

As I already stated once, his hands would be a bigger issue.

Don't see first helping him be less of a defensive burden on his team.
I love how you keep saying shit like "he is a butcher" and "he is a defensive burden"... Get off it... the tigers have much bigger problems... Nit picking Castellanos defense this much like its a major issue is comical.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember plenty of Tigers fans that were calling for Peralta's head because of his "range". He was the starter in the NL all star game... and on the NL Central's champ.... Guess range matters a ton.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember plenty of Tigers fans that were calling for Peralta's head because of his "range". He was the starter in the NL all star game... and on the NL Central's champ.... Guess range matters a ton.

Range at 3B matters even less when you have Jose Iglesias at SS. As you stated, the Tigers were in the top-third of the MLB in most team defensive rankings. It is not a weakness overall.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the end of the day.. the Tigers can get right back to contending by getting better pitching and having Ausmus shit the bed less with late inning management. If Ausmus can stop making bone headed management decisions and the Tigers can get league average production out of the pitching... They have the offense to win. Even with Vmart not being himself... the Tigers STILL led the league in BA. I don't think we have seen JD Martinez best year yet... You can most certainly expect better from Castellanos, Gose, and McCann. If Miggy and Vmart are healthy they are going to have a really good offense.