• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This offense has been gross the last week or so..

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LoL at the interview after the walk off... the guy called it a "big win" hahahaha yeah.. real big.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this... Feliz has actually looked much better lately. And I am not a fan of him.

• Pretty sure this statement I posted says it all... He was looking better the last 4 outings until last night... he had went 6 innings without giving up a run. I have NEVER been a fan of the signing... I have called for him to be DFA'ed about 20 times now...

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wednesday
Gose
Davis
Kinsler
VMart
JD
Nick
Avila 1B
McCann
Machado
JV on the hill. ..

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LoL at the interview after the walk off... the guy called it a "big win" hahahaha yeah.. real big.

Seriously, as soon as Feliz screwed up the chance for the first combined no-hitter in team history, I was okay with them losing.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy crap, the Tigers are actually scoring runs for Verlander. They apparently did not get the memo that they are supposed to lose.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about this trade.. but would you as a Tigers fan rather have Romine or Jose Alverez ( 63 innings pitched in relief - 54 k 22 BB 3.71 era and 1.19 whip)

Deals like this is why the Tigers bullpen depth has been so crappy... Seriously... Romine was never needed. Perez could have done the job he did. When its all said and done... even with the god awful start to the season Perez had, he still has better numbers than Romine and both have played in 102 games.

Romine - .254 2 HR 15 RBI 5 doubels 0 triples 43 hits
Perez - .245 ( .275 with brewers) 1 HR 17 RBi 14 doubels 2 triples 54 hits

Basically... The Tigers lost a useful low cost reliever and Perez to have Romine on the roster...

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander faces his last batter, Soto in the 7th, and throws five straight pitches of 98 or 99 MPH to strike him out. I know we don't want the Tigers to win right now, but damn that's good to see.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offseason is going to be very important... If Avila can get 2 above average starters to pair with Verlander and Norris... and Sanchez can even remotely bounce back from his injury and odd HR happy season (probably connected to his shoulder injury) the Tigers can be right back to contending. Honestly 2 solid starters that get the Tigers 190-200 innings would go a long way to helping the bullpen look better too.. Its not a coincidence the Tigers bullpen looked great early in the year when the starters were going deep in the games and their workload wasn't so heavy.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see the Tigers keep Buck Farmer in the pen next year. I think he could end up being very solid in that role. Much like Verhagen has been so far this year. I hope the Tiger's philosophy changes in regards to how they develop pitchers with Avila. The Tigers have a ton of guys that are starting in A+ to AA ball that are starting now but profile much better as relievers.. They need to stop trying to keep a guy that has a ceiling of a #5 starter in the MLB in a starting role in the minors and make the move like they did with Verhagen. The bullpen might actually end up being a strength sooner rather than later if they did this. Their refusal to convert starting pitching prospects to the bullpen is a huge reason they have struggled there. Verhagen situation is the norm with other teams. I just hope him having success out of the pen makes them look at other guys as potential bullpen arms instead of wasting time keeping them in a rotation.

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would add Boyd to the pen also. Keep an eye on Joe Jimenez just maybe the closer in a couple of years

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rondon sent home...needs to grow up
I don't remember this ever happening before.

Can't see them trading him as they just destroyed his value. Is that all this is, go home and think about your actions?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would add Boyd to the pen also. Keep an eye on Joe Jimenez just maybe the closer in a couple of years
I was saying the same thing about Boyd myself... but I watched his last start and he does have really good stuff. He started the year in AA this year and dominated AA and AAA. He was obviously shaky in the majors.... but of all the fringe starters the Tigers have like Ryan, Farmer, Lobstein, and Boyd.. I think Boyd has the best chance to actually end up being decent. His ceiling is higher than the rest. Plus the Tigers do need to have some depth in Toledo to call up.

I would go with Ryan and Hardy as the lefties out of the bullpen, put Farmer in the pen, and keep Boyd and Lobstein in AAA as insurance for injury. Fulmer isn't ready for big time yet, but he will probably get a look at some point next year too.. he needs to stay in the minors and get seasoning most of next year... And the Tigers need at least 2 MLB ready starters in the minors in case something happens to someone in the rotation.

Jimenez is probably a year away. It will be interesting to see what he does after getting moved up to A+ Lakeland. I doubt it will be long until they put him in Erie as long as he doesn't struggle there.

Tigers have a few other pitchers from that West Michigan White Caps team that could move fast as well. That team had a ton of guys on it from the 2014 and 2015 draft... So it goes to show that the last few drafts were pretty solid if they came in mid season there and turned the team into a A league champion.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. The difference between guys in the minors who project as good starters and the ones who project as fringe/barely #5 guys is often the number of quality pitches they have. You need 3-4 GOOD pitches to be a starter in the majors. Guys who have only 2 really good pitches can be effective relievers for one inning. Look at a guy like Wade Davis...basically two fastballs and that knuckle-curve. Not enough pitches for a starter, but plenty for a 1-inning guy if they are both quality pitches.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. The difference between guys in the minors who project as good starters and the ones who project as fringe/barely #5 guys is often the number of quality pitches they have. You need 3-4 GOOD pitches to be a starter in the majors. Guys who have only 2 really good pitches can be effective relievers for one inning. Look at a guy like Wade Davis...basically two fastballs and that knuckle-curve. Not enough pitches for a starter, but plenty for a 1-inning guy if they are both quality pitches.
Verhagen too... He throws 4 pitches but only his curve and fastball are really above average.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers have plenty of young backend starters at his point. Boyd/Fulmer/Lobstein could easily provide enough depth... and there are other guys like Ziomek and Luis Cessa that could get a look also. Tigers need to start converting some of these guys to relievers... leave Boyd/Fulmer/Lobstein in the Mud Hens rotation and move guys like Cessa to the pen. The other 2 spots in the mud hens rotation should be major league vets playing on minor league deals a la Randy Wolf. That way they have depth to pull from.

The last 2 drafts were very pitcher friendly and many are doing well in the low minors. They need to move out the crap in the upper minors and progress the young talent up... even if that means putting fringe guys like Chad Green, Kyle Turley, or Austin Kubitza in the bullpen in Toledo or Erie.

There is no reason for a guy like Tim Melville, Rafael Dolis, Josh Zeid, Alberto Cabrera, or Thad Weber to be on the roster in Toledo next year. Get them out of there and get the younger guys that actually have a shot at being MLB caliber in there.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone catch last nights matchup between Smyly and Porcello? Both looked good.. Smyly went 6.1 and gave up 0 runs and k'ed 7... Porcello went 7 innings and gave up 2 earned and k'ed 8...