• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2014 Thread

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am willing to wager with anyone the bullpen will be better this year than it was last year...

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isnt saying smyly never pitched 100 innings using a fact? How bout joba's ERA? Thats a fact is was bad..

Well, what you consider a fact, I consider an outright lie.

Smyly pitched 99.1 innings for the Tigers in '12 and 17.2 innings in Toledo. Just because they were for different teams doesn't mean it didn't happen.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Scherzer regresses, it will most likely be in the W/L's stats. He received incredible support in the 1st half of last year.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, you are confused. Fister had a very impressive ERA in seattle when detroit trades for him. It was his wins loss record that was awful, because he played on a team with zero run support. He was sporting a 3.3 and was like 3-12. I snagged him off of the waiver wire immediately and he was a stud the rest of the season. Tigers fans that didnt like the trade at the time were probably caught up in his wins loss.

Second, I agree. I love me some DD? Hes an excellent GM. He has swung and missed though. As you said renteria. But also lets not forget aubrey huff and washburn. Lets not forget how he went into last season without a closer. He does make mistakes, so dont be so quick to assume fans are overreacting, because the fister trade is a mistake. I thought the fielder trade was impressive, like I said..I love DD! But hes not perfect.

I love DD too....said it many times....but its because of his failure to get a closer last offseason that worries me about the pen this year...we got the closer, but didnt improve the middle guys....benoit and smyly were pretty good in the 7-8th....now we have alal joba and kroll...sorry in my eyes thats not even close to being even let alone better.....but thats my opinion....for all i know, joba pitches like he did his first few years...just a risky chance for a team in win now mode....more like a move the twins are chi sox would make.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with just about everything you have said minus your comments on prince. I dont see you as negative.

Thanks...i no you were against the prince signing from the get go....just would of liked to see him get another year....but i absolutely understand the deal.....ive always liked kinsler, im just not going to say hes great now that hes a tiger...

The fister trade and not getting any bp help our my main 2 complaints.....i can live with the offense we got to go with our SP..

Just funny that right after last season ended, how many fans were saying how we needed 2-4 new BP arms...all i know when the starters cant go 8, thats gonna leave some intense moments for our BP....i think ill take my walks around the block when the 7th and 8th innings roll around in close games....were gonna find out early since starters usually get pulled early in april...we will see alot of BP next month.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he always talks about how hes not a condescending dick though..so its ok.

Yeah and this comes days after he tells us sorry hes been a dick lately.....then goes out and turns into the slang police...

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Veras is trash.. and he wanted to get paid like a closer... which if he is your closer.. you aren't good.

So now veras is trash? You crack me up.....last year when we got him, he was very good you said on al smack talk....veras IS a closer.....you tell me chance ruffin will be good because he will have a chance to close one day.....well veras IS a closer....had a great year last year as the astros closer....he struggled a lil in detroit i agree...but he was adjusting to not being a closer....seems to happen alot when a sorry team trades a closer to a contending team and put that closer as a set up guy..but he still had an ERA of 3.20 in detroit....lower than joba, kroll, or ALAL....he had a 2.93 with 19 saves playing for the shitty stros....hasnt had an ERA of 4 or higher since 2009.....but yeah he sucks and joba and plutconiwhaterhisnameis is good eh?

Now if youre telling me joba is better than veras, im gonna have to call coughcoughbullshitcoughcough

Just wondering? Whats your take on prince? Good trade? Bad? He will be great in texas? Break down? Suck? Just wondering.....

Also nathan was a closer on a pretty shitty team in minny in 2011....

Im sure ill be told im not backing shit up with stats..

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Many believe he has top of rotation stuff."

Many believe our middle relief is crap too.....but we only listen when its good for the tigers huh?

Once again the tigers will win the division....they are not better than last years team IMO...but in baseball, all you have to do is make the postseason and its a crap shoot...the hot team will win....long gone are the days of the top teams steam rolling thru the postseason..

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we been arguing the same shit over and over...im going to post a list of things im excited for this year.....positive crap.....THIS IS FOR YOU BURF!!!!!

Brad ausmus....love his energy...
Nicky c has been swinging well....hes the X factor on offense
Being able to manufacture runs WO a HR....if rajai, kinsler, and ajax can get on, were good
Miggy being miggy....watta pleasure to get to watch and root for
A closer with the killer mentality
Our home uniforms....THE BEST IN ALL SPORTS
Seeing smyly getting a chance to start. Needed a lefty
Our SP 1-5 ....this era's version of the braves
The AL central.....buys us time to work out any kinks

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After you listed the positives, I decided to head down there next Monday. You sold me!

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brad ausmus....love his energy...
Nicky c has been swinging well....hes the X factor on offense
Being able to manufacture runs WO a HR....if rajai, kinsler, and ajax can get on, were good
Miggy being miggy....watta pleasure to get to watch and root for
A closer with the killer mentality
Our home uniforms....THE BEST IN ALL SPORTS
Seeing smyly getting a chance to start. Needed a lefty
Our SP 1-5 ....this era's version of the braves
The AL central.....buys us time to work out any kinks

Ausmus is a rookie manager. Everyone knows that rookie managers don't succeed in MLB
Nick C is a rookie and unproven. Isn't there a long list of promising Tiger prospects that fall flat on their face.
Speed doesn't score runs. Hitters score runs.
Miggy is due for a bad year after 10 or so great ones. No way can he be that good.
Smyly is going to get pounded after the lineup seems him once.
The Braves epitomized playoff failure
Ha, even with sarcasm, I can't bolster the Royals, Twins, Indians or WSox.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burf is always happy to be mentioned in a positive way thank you Mr Cleves.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"For all the great things Dave Dombrowski has done as Tigers general manager, the inability to generate position players and bullpen arms from the farm system have been two Achilles heels."

"Ugghhh. I would really hate for the bullpen to undo this team's chances two years in a row. Its great that we signed Nathan, but we needed at least 3 quality arms for the pen and we got one. Chamberlin is not an upgrade IMO. And now that Rondon is out we are even thinner."

"As it stands right now?: Nathan closes. Chamberlain sets up. Alburquerque in the 7th. Coke is LOOGY. Long man is Putkonen? Yikes?"

"wow. something we had all been saying all winter. fix the bullpen... maybe they will sign hanrahan....maybe swap relievers ? coke didnt get released so maybe he can be shipped out. especially after his alex gonzalez type meaningless spring training success"

"Bullpen needs upgrading and with roles still in flux, what do you have to lose?"

Guess im not the only fan whos worried about our BP

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JV looked good today......looks like tori hunter will bat 2nd most of the time....ausmus said he was great there last year....why change him...

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am willing to wager with anyone the bullpen will be better this year than it was last year...

I'll take a piece of that action. The Tiger bullpen blew some saves early in 2013 (April-May), but after that they were damn solid. It would be a pleasant surprise if this year's bullpen is NOT worse than '13 in terms of both ERA and blown saves.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JV looked good today......looks like tori hunter will bat 2nd most of the time....ausmus said he was great there last year....why change him...

Does that mean that Kinsler is lead-off? If that is the case I would love to see Castellanos bat 5th, especially after the spring he had. After that I guess it would go AJ, Avila, Davis, SS.

I saw the six pitchers the Tigers are bringing north for the bullpen with Nathan are:
Evan Reed, Luke Putkonen, Joba, Coke, AA, and Krol

That is quite an embarrassment for a team that wants to win a WS. I still don't think it will be a downgrade over last year.
The Tiger bullpen blew some saves early in 2013 (April-May), but after that they were damn solid. It would be a pleasant surprise if this year's bullpen is NOT worse than '13 in terms of both ERA and blown saves.
That is a gem of a quote. How anyone can call that BP solid is beyond me. Tigers need Joba to pitch like he can and have one of the young guys emerge. Krol and Coke as the LH's is laughable though.