• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2014 Thread

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Done deal. 8-year extension for $248 million, plus the $44 million he is owed for 2014-15 = $292 million over 10 years. Looks like Miggy will retire as a Tiger.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe this is a great deal for Detroit. not only to keep Miggy but it will attract players to come to Detroit in the future. Who wouldn't want to play with JV and Miggy.....

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers lineup today vs Tampa Bay looks like the opening day lineup. Davis Kinsler Miggy VMart Hunter Jackson NickC Avila Gonzalez

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Max should sign on the dotted line now....

That would be nice, but Boras prolly won't let him.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers lineup today vs Tampa Bay looks like the opening day lineup. Davis
Kinsler Miggy VMart Hunter Jackson NickC Avila Gonzalez

Tampa Bay started a lefty today (Moore). I think Davis will bat down in the order vs. right-handers, with Kinsler and Hunter batting 1-2. Ausmus has already said he still likes Hunter hitting in front of Miggy.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the deal is good for Detroit. It is a lot of money but it locks up the game's best hitter and (arguably) best pitcher for the foreseeable future. Nothing wrong with that.

Max is being shown the door. The Tigers know he is in a contract year and needs to validate '13 to get the money he wants.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st point... Miggy will get paid... By the Tigers... A ton.. enough to get him into his age 40 season... I bet my left nut on it. No way he gets a 5 year deal.. try 7-10 yrs.

2nd point... Fister didn't have a great era before being traded to the Tigers.. he had an ok era and then went nuts after the trade. No Tiger fan I talked to on CBS knew who he was and was pissed we went the cheap route and got Fister and not Jimenez...

3rd point... Name one trade Dombrowski got schooled on over the long term? The closest thing would be the Renteria trade.. and that looked a whole lot worse than it really was at first.. now... who wants Jurrgens?

You guys over react. Its pretty funny. I am willing to bet that Ray will be a Smyly type starter. Mid rotation ceiling. Just like Fister. They saved money and got younger. He is doing his job. Dombrowski is the best manager in baseball... nit picking him is comical at best.

Any Tigers fan that second guesses Dombrowski makes me just laugh... Seriously... the guy has ripped off so many other gm's the last 6 years its not even funny. He always pulls stuff out of his ass that fans question or judge.. then when it works out they jump for joy... the fact you guys don't trust his judgement calls after the success he has had is pretty funny.

Just like to point out my left nut is safe.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers will be getting a huge revenue boost after 2017. Fox TV deal is up. They can afford to splurge on Miggy... He deserves it... One World Series title and its money well spent regardless how he plays at age 40.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max should sign for what he was offered.....if he fucks up this year he can go and live with Boars......a bird in the hand......

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers will be getting a huge revenue boost after 2017. Fox TV deal is up. They can afford to splurge on Miggy... He deserves it... One World Series title and its money well spent regardless how he plays at age 40.
I don't think this was done to win a WS. This was done to placate the fan base and provide a consistently good product. Losing Max is going to hurt but I think the writing was on the wall once Sanchez & JV signed long term deals.
As for the TV deal. It remains to be seen what he market will look like in three years but this move doesn't hurt in assuring that the team will remain competitive.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think this was done to win a WS. This was done to placate the fan base and provide a consistently good product. Losing Max is going to hurt but I think the writing was on the wall once Sanchez & JV signed long term deals.
As for the TV deal. It remains to be seen what he market will look like in three years but this move doesn't hurt in assuring that the team will remain competitive.

No way the Tigers don't get a mega deal in 2017. They have a huge fan base regardless of Detroit's economy...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, jalopy has a point. My Grandma called me last night, happy to know that while Max is too good for Detroit atleast Miguel wants to stay. There are a lot if Grandmas out there thinking the same thing I bet. I still think it was a very bad idea though.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, jalopy has a point. My Grandma called me last night, happy to know that while Max is too good for Detroit atleast Miguel wants to stay. There are a lot if Grandmas out there thinking the same thing I bet. I still think it was a very bad idea though.
Haha! I think I have found my niche. Send on the grandma's. I think the Tigers knew Max wouldn't take less than $25MM/yr.

I don't think it is a high price. I just think it is a high price to pay someone you still have under contract for two years. Not like he is getting paid peanuts now.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha! I think I have found my niche. Send on the grandma's. I think the Tigers knew Max wouldn't take less than $25MM/yr.

I don't think it is a high price. I just think it is a high price to pay someone you still have under contract for two years. Not like he is getting paid peanuts now.

Im with you on the contract. He had two years left. Why extend someone that doesn't need extending? Other than to satisfy a fan base that may have felt spurned? (Had they waited, re-upper Miggy when the time came for 40mil a year for four years, cool. Or whatever a little more than the going rate for a player of his caliber, two years from now. But this deal seems like a PR move to me, and I don't like that. My grandma does.)

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grandmas Rock!

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2