• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2014 Thread

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also smitty...him hitting the wall.....doesnt that worry you ....now hes a starter.....and we dont have great depth there..

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Why? He was effective as a starter before last year and effective out of the BP last year. What is going to change?

Because hes never pitched 100 innings....and hes going to be asked to start.....from the beginning.......he hit the wall last year and pitched 76 innings..i love some drew smyly too...

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didnt make the WS last yr with prolly the best starting pitching in baseball....whats your point? Its a team sport...

He probably (English) didn't make it to the World Series last year because he performed poorly. Pretty sure it wasn't our starting pitcher that lost that series. Nor was it our new closer give up grand slams.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude they just dont get it.....having a good closer doesnt make your bullpen great....you still got to get him the ball....

Let's break down the bullpen simply for you.

Our 2014 closer IS better than our 2013 closer

The other component of the BP are long relief and set-up (innings 7-8)
It is impossible for our set-up guys to be worse than the '13 assemble.
It is highly unlikely that the Tigers will be able to match Smyly's long relief.

Considering all of the above, how are the Tigers going to have a worse BP? It's not like we are talking about a strength of the club in '13

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohh, you guys would rather reply with vague statements like "I don't like that guy" or "my gut says he will fail"

Use facts for your arguments and someone might take you seriously.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohh, you guys would rather reply with vague statements like "I don't like that guy" or "my gut says he will fail"

The BP blew games all year last year.........I don't have to look up if it was 10, or 20 or 30......The Pen sucked and didn't improve this year as of yet.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also smitty...him hitting the wall.....doesnt that worry you ....now hes a starter.....and we dont have great depth there..

Not a huge concern. He's a fifth starter. If he can get thru August at a semi-effective clip I don't see any big issues. Come September he can rest up an get ready to return to the bullpen for the playoffs. Jalopy, he's only started 18 games in his career. Had an ERA of about 4(which would be just fine with me) but he hasn't topped 100 innings in the bigs in a season yet. Anything over 150-155 would be good with me. He really seemed to tire last year late in the season. Which was probably on account of appearances, but Im not overly confident the same thing won't happen on account of innings. Im not freaking out about it, just don't see him being a major factor for the rotation. But Im never going to be that concerned about a 5th starter beinga major factor. Id take him over most every fifth out there.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here, wouldn't mind seeing him get skipped a few times in the rotation along the way.

This. Id think Ausmus will take advantage of off days and what not to take some of the burden ofhis transition off.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The BP blew games all year last year.........I don't have to look up if it was 10, or 20 or 30......The Pen sucked and didn't improve this year as of yet.

.....and yet it is worse this year with the addition of Nathan? That is called contradiction and is common when you don't consistently use facts.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. Id think Ausmus will take advantage of off days and what not to take some of the burden ofhis transition off.

I would prefer to look at it like Ausmus will give the ball to JV and Max as often as he can. I don't get where everyone is getting any evidence that Smyly will slow down, either in a game or the season.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would prefer to look at it like Ausmus will give the ball to JV and Max as often as he can. I don't get where everyone is getting any evidence that Smyly will slow down, either in a game or the season.

Other than he did last year? (His two highest ERA months were August and September.5.63 and 3.86. 1.91 pre-AS 3.72 post-AS)They also were the two fewest innings pitched of any month. He averaged over an inning per appearance early in the season, less than an inning late in the year. He threw more innings in April and June each than he did August and September combined!) Im with you on the JV and Max part, along with Sanchez. (I kind of resent that gut feeling comment you made at the top of the page. My opinion is 100% based off previous events and their likelihood in the future.)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was great in July. Smack dab in the middle. Didn't allow a run. It was downhill from there though. (If I said I was concerned about his starts in Minny, KC and Cleveland it would be on account of those three places being his roughest road outings. Comerica was the only place he made more appearances btw.) Im not down on him, just being realistic.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....and yet it is worse this year with the addition of Nathan? That is called contradiction and is common when you don't consistently use facts.

No, The Closer Position is better.......That's the 9th inning......6th, 7th, and 8th inning are worse until you show me stats that prove otherwise.......Who did we add? and who did we lose?......Who is injured?

What fact do you have that states the BP is better? Good Lord.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raburn Sucked, and I didn't need a fact to prove it, just took a select few to see it.....Been saying it for atleast 3 plus years and had to listen to guys tell me ...............But not after the all star break, or not in the playoffs etc etc etc......Same crap.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our bullpen sucks, much like Raburn........Unless anything changes, it sucks......Now if DD goes out and gets someone.....(atleast 2) it will continue to suck........I'll let you be the judge as games will be blown, I'll be here to remind you who did it....I'm a school bus driver and have summers off, so I don't miss much.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bullpen is not a strength.. but can anyone please tell me how its worse than last year? Please... Who did we lose that was so lights out? Benoit? He was replaced with better.... Smyly? At the end of the year he was not that great.... Who else? Rondon? He was erratic as all hell. I just don't get harping on the bullpen. It will be fine. If the Tigers could have scored in some other way than the big inning bases clearing double or hr... they would have beaten the Red Sox.. the difference was the Red Sox offense was more balanced and able to scratch out a run late.. and Detroits couldn't do it without a healthy Miggy. The bullpen is NOT.. the reason they didn't win it all. They blew a 4 run lead... but the Tigers would have won if they could have scored again after the 4th inning.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He probably (English) didn't make it to the World Series last year because he performed poorly. Pretty sure it wasn't our starting pitcher that lost that series. Nor was it our new closer give up grand slams.

Yup jalopy im done with you.....i didnt need an english course....,i know how probably is spelled....i use prolly all the time....i use u instead of you....but yup done talking with your all smarter than everyone else.....just fuck off and do what you said you were gonna do.....dont come on here much.....guess that was an iffy lie eh?

Fucking grammar police....but hey...when people poke at spelling in a sports forum, i guess they aint got shit else to say..

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Nor was it our new closer give up grand slams."

Funny the grammar police asshole types this....

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Isnt saying smyly never pitched 100 innings using a fact? How bout joba's ERA? Thats a fact is was bad...

<<<<<proof reading for mr stadinkel