• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2014 Thread

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The top closer in the league and the bullpen is the weakest in the league? C'mon fuzzy. I now the loss of Rondon hurts but if Nathan saves games at a 90% clip, the bullpen is top 5 in the league.

Nathan is just fine, the rest of the pen blows......Bull pen top 5 in the league?....Now that is laughable.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really am going to laugh when putkonen has a stellar year and so does reed. Both were very solid last year.... and both are legit mlb bullpen guys. Tigers will be fine.

Putkonen Blows.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nathan is just fine, the rest of the pen blows......Bull pen top 5 in the league?....Now that is laughable.
Fuzzy, top 5 only means they have to be in the top third. With a top closer, all the Tigers really need is someone to emerge as a legit set-up guy. I agree that the Rondon injury makes it tougher. It won't be Coke, Krol, AA. Joba is a long shot. It is going to have to be a young guy.

Remember that about half of the BP's 400 innings pitched are pretty worthless because of large leads. I am hoping the improved defense means the pitchers can go a bit longer than last year. That will help.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your 20/20 vision on Grandy is spectacular. The fact is, DD loved Grandy but he didn't feel he was worth what he was going to have to pay him when he became a FA. DD would have loved to have kept him, he just didn't want to pay him.

DD said him not being able to hit lefty pitching and him not being able to lead off played a huge part in it...he wanted the typical leadoff hitter....grandy was more of a 3rd or 5th hitter....

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleaves, I'm not trying to be an ass. You are just using bogus stats to bolster your point of view.

Do me a favor, rank the Tiger in the following categories:

(AL Only)
Offense (Runs scored)
Defense (this will be somewhat subjective)
Starting Pitching
Bullpen (ERA+ Blown Saves)

Where is the weakness in this club?

Weakness? Bullpen and defense now......nicky c at 3rd.....gonzalez at SS.....defense will be better but not great....tori's a yr older....i dont think davis was a defensive sub....hes fast tho....avila has had trouble throwing people out...

Funny as soon as i got done posting earlier i went back to watching the tigers on ESPN....and what did they talk about? Their bullpen....showed nathan as the closer...joba, ALAL, and krol as the main guys in the pen.....and then krol went on to look just like coke...hit a guy...walked a guy....gave up a few hits....couldnt cover first in time.....but its only spring....why would he have to come in and prove hes going to be that lefty in the 8th inning with big papi coming up.....just funny you and vice are only people who think our BP is in great shape...

But hey im drinking the kool aid....krol will be fine

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....and while you are weeping about all that offense we sent away this Winter, consider what the Rangers (your new favorite team, Cleaves) are going through. It looks like Yu Darvish is headed for the DL. All the offense in the world won't help that team in that division if they don't get some starting pitching. Prince might hit 50HR's, he might hit .325 with 150 RBI's and win a MVP. What he won't do is sniff the WS.

Why are they my new favorite team? Because i think they improved? Wow!!! So were you NOT a fan last year, when you and iffy were always the negative ones? Now we go all oakland A's and try and go small ball, and you all of a sudden think the tigers are the best..

Once again i didnt say they wont win the central....all im saying is this team didnt get better..

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....and while you are weeping about all that offense we sent away this Winter, consider what the Rangers (your new favorite team, Cleaves) are going through. It looks like Yu Darvish is headed for the DL. All the offense in the world won't help that team in that division if they don't get some starting pitching. Prince might hit 50HR's, he might hit .325 with 150 RBI's and win a MVP. What he won't do is sniff the WS.

Darvish being down for any length of time would kill te Rangers. Their rotation already took one big blow, hard to see them overcoming one this big. Could force them to scratch and claw for more runs themselves. Which is what Im hoping for. :rollseyes:

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where's Bonderman or Nate Robertson? Maybe they could give us some innings....Hahaha......

In all seriousness I loved ALAL until he got hit in the head and never seemed to be the same again.......I praised Smyly all year last year, But he isn't in our Pen this year.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He didnt make the WS last yr with prolly the best starting pitching in baseball....whats your point? Its a team sport...

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude they just dont get it.....having a good closer doesnt make your bullpen great....you still got to get him the ball....

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where's Bonderman or Nate Robertson? Maybe they could give us some innings....Hahaha......

In all seriousness I loved ALAL until he got hit in the head and never seemed to be the same again.......I praised Smyly all year last year, But he isn't in our Pen this year.

Yup losing smyly hurt....smyly to krol is a downgrade...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AlAl Blows! Throw some fucking strikes already. Dudes WHIP was 1.50. That's not helping no matter how many strikeouts you get. Look at his ERA, and then think about the inherited runners that scored. Having a bad ERA is no easy task for a reliever that doesn't start out innings. He was awful last season. Decent the year before. Hopefully somewhere in between this season.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude they just dont get it.....having a good closer doesnt make your bullpen great....you still got to get him the ball....

When your up 2 runs going into the 7th and 8th inning and then down 2 runs over that span, no need to put Nathan in the game for the 9th.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't know that yet. Smyly hit a wall late in the season last year. Wasn't much help at the end of the year IMO.

that's the only think that scares me about Smyly is the Wall........Other then that, I love me some Wile E. Smyly.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's the only think that scares me about Smyly is the Wall........Other then that, I love me some Wile E. Smyly.

Im not expecting a great deal of innings out of him this season tbh. If he stays in the rotation all season, we shall see.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are they my new favorite team? Because i think they improved? Wow!!! So were you NOT a fan last year, when you and iffy were always the negative ones? Now we go all oakland A's and try and go small ball, and you all of a sudden think the tigers are the best..

Once again i didnt say they wont win the central....all im saying is this team didnt get better..

I will try to explain as best as I can. I grew up and played baseball in SW Michigan (23yrs) before moving away. First and foremost, I am a fan of the game. I will always have a rooting interest in the Tigers. I didn't like the style of the offense last year but when I went to games in Anaheim and Oakland last year, I wore Tigers colors. I thought that style of offense was ill-suited for their stadium and ill-suited for postseason baseball. I think the moves they made were in the right direction but that is just my personal opinion. Teams have won with the long ball before (Who didn't love Harvey's Wallbangers).

I hardly think a team with Miggy, VMart, Hunter and Castellanos is "small ball". They are more balanced now, or would have been if they were healthy.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't know that yet. Smyly hit a wall late in the season last year. Wasn't much help at the end of the year IMO.

Im just hoping krol makes it to the wall....when ive seen him, he hasnt impressed....was real bad today...

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not expecting a great deal of innings out of him this season tbh. If he stays in the rotation all season, we shall see.

Same here, wouldn't mind seeing him get skipped a few times in the rotation along the way.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really? Why? He was effective as a starter before last year and effective out of the BP last year. What is going to change?