• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2014 Thread

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scherzer indeed is taking a risk. He's been one of the best pitchers in baseball for about the last season-and-a-half (from about June 1, 2012 through last season), but past performance is no guarantee of future success. Let's hope the Tigers can at least benefit from his "contract year" season.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I don't get this trade, either. Why the eff deal Alvarez for Romine if you're gonna do this???

Tigers add veteran Alex Gonzalez in trade with Orioles
by Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com
Looking for help at shortstop after losing Jose Iglesias to injury, the Tigers acquired veteran infielder Alex Gonzalez from the Orioles Monday. The Tigers sent infielder Stephen Lombardozzi to the Orioles [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]448089366741925888[/MEDIA]"]in exchange[/ame] for Gonzalez, who has played 1,539 games at shortstop in his 15-year MLB career.
Gonzalez is having a productive spring at the plate, batting .429 (12 for 28) with a .679 slugging percentage and 1.145 OPS in 12 games. He has one double, two home runs and six RBI.

Last edited by a moderator:

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never question moves like these.. Dombrowski is a magician... let the man work.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I don't get this trade, either. Why the eff deal Alvarez for Romine if you're gonna do this???

Tigers add veteran Alex Gonzalez in trade with Orioles
by Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com
Looking for help at shortstop after losing Jose Iglesias to injury, the Tigers acquired veteran infielder Alex Gonzalez from the Orioles Monday. The Tigers sent infielder Stephen Lombardozzi to the Orioles in exchange for Gonzalez, who has played 1,539 games at shortstop in his 15-year MLB career.
Gonzalez is having a productive spring at the plate, batting .429 (12 for 28) with a .679 slugging percentage and 1.145 OPS in 12 games. He has one double, two home runs and six RBI.

I dont get it either, i guess its the same thought process mayhew has for cornerbacks. Cant get one good one so drafts and signs 10 backups. The only other thing maybe that hes doing is trying to convince drew they dont need him in order to get him to lower his asking price.

Last edited by a moderator:

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers need to trade max yesterday. Ive been saying this way too long now. Max should have been traded instead of fister. The only difference in their stats this year is max will have more strikeouts.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see a Tijuan Walker / Franklin deal.... but no way Max gets moved for a broken down player like Matt Kemp.... If a team doesn't offer a top 25 prospect that is a pitcher... I doubt Dombrowski even listens. Why would he... the Tigers will get a pick in return for him if he leaves which is more valuable than a past their prime player like Matt Kemp. The only teams that have the ammo and could take on the salary are the Red Sox, Marlins, Mariners, Astros, Diamondbacks, Mets, Orioles, or Cubs. I doubt the Cubs, Marlins or Astros are going to trade stud pitchers during rebuilding years for Max... Best bet right now would be Mets or Diamondbacks... Which would mean they would have to be contending at the deadline to offer their top pitching prospect...

If Max leaves.. Tigers have a TON of free agent money to spend. Something in the realm of $45 mil after vmart and hunter come off the books.

I would be all over a walker/franklim deal. Taijuan is the real deal.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers need to trade max yesterday. Ive been saying this way too long now. Max should have been traded instead of fister. The only difference in their stats this year is max will have more strikeouts.

Why? I thought the whole point of this was to win the WS. Max gives them a much better chance than if he is gone. Even with Iggy and Rondon hurt, the Tigers are still the favorites to win the division. You might have a point if this were July and the Tigers were 10 back.

Worst case scenario is the Tigers get a 1st round pick and and additional $15MM to play with. If Max has a decent year he will get $25-30MM/yr for 5 years minimum. That money can to go Miggy (if hee is deemed worth it) or towards a rebuild.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max just isn't going to net the Tigers a big return in a trade. Teams either will look at it like short-term chance at a title or a long-term investment that they could wait and make without giving up anything (except a 1st).

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you question the fisted trade?

No... Actually I didn't. Its like the Granderson trade that brought in Max. You may not know who Robbie Ray was before the trade... but I guarantee Dombrowski did.. and if anything else.. I think we owe him a little trust in his judgement for all the times he has ripped off other teams....

Tigers fans thought we got ripped off in the trade that brought us Fister.. because they had no idea who he was... They had no idea who Scherzer was when he was brought in... My point is.. Has DD not earned a little trust in the fact his deals work out more times than not?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? I thought the whole point of this was to win the WS. Max gives them a much better chance than if he is gone. Even with Iggy and Rondon hurt, the Tigers are still the favorites to win the division. You might have a point if this were July and the Tigers were 10 back.

Worst case scenario is the Tigers get a 1st round pick and and additional $15MM to play with. If Max has a decent year he will get $25-30MM/yr for 5 years minimum. That money can to go Miggy (if hee is deemed worth it) or towards a rebuild.

Great post!

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max just isn't going to net the Tigers a big return in a trade. Teams either will look at it like short-term chance at a title or a long-term investment that they could wait and make without giving up anything (except a 1st).

Agreed... The only way he nets a huge return is at the trade deadline if a team with a top pitching prospect needs a front line starter to put them over the edge. It would take a perfect storm. I just don't see it happening... My guess is one of these situations:

A- Max has a great year, Tigers win lots of games... and he ends up signing for 25-26mil a year with the Tigers.

B- He has an ok season and ends up leaving, with the Tigers getting a pick and him getting a 16-18 mil a yr contract after having to wait out the market like santana this year.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather pay miggy 225 mil from 2015-2023 than give Max 24 mil a yr for 6 years. Flat out.. Miggy needs to retire a Tiger... He is a future HOFer... Max most likely is not even going to be put on a HOF ballot.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont get it either, i guess its the same thought process mayhew has for cornerbacks. Cant get one good one so drafts and signs 10 backups. The only other thing maybe that hes doing is trying to convince drew they dont need him in order to get him to lower his asking price.

Haha good one.....well now those tiger fans who were loving lombardozzi can start to love romine and gonzalez now.....gonzalez is a cheaper version of peralta with a lil better range maybe?

Sure tigers got great arms in the majors....ok.....ill believe it when i see it...i dont fall in love with power arm pitchers...the harder you throw, the faster it flies out...

Max is a dummy....another juan gonzalez dummy....

And what stud pitchers do the cubs have? ALL their prospects are hitters......baez, rizzo, castro, olt, bryant, almora, lake.....alot of great young talent in the field...in a few years they will use the money to get pitchers and add some vets.....they did trade wayne gretkzys son last week....boy was he sorry lol

Tigers will have 45 million coming off the books next year....i love miggy but an 8 yr extension would be crazy at that money and his age.....

Just my thoughts for the day...been caught up in march madness and alot has happened for the tigers lately

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The talk in here last yr by a few was to trade max at trade deadline last year and get some good pieces back to help win the WS.....jv sanchez fister porcello and either smyly or a pitcher we got in trade....that still wouldve been good....of course this was when prince was still on books and alot didnt think detroit could afford to keep max.....

Im still scared to give miggy anything over 5 yrs....he will become a DH after a few years...

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No... Actually I didn't. Its like the Granderson trade that brought in Max. You may not know who Robbie Ray was before the trade... but I guarantee Dombrowski did.. and if anything else.. I think we owe him a little trust in his judgement for all the times he has ripped off other teams....

Tigers fans thought we got ripped off in the trade that brought us Fister.. because they had no idea who he was... They had no idea who Scherzer was when he was brought in... My point is.. Has DD not earned a little trust in the fact his deals work out more times than not?

I knew who scherzer was...he was a top prospect....was a popular choice for people in fantasy when he came up....had issues going past 5 tho....fister had a great ERA when we got him....i really had never heard of ray....i didnt like the max trade because i loved grandy....still do....id pay that guy to play for me anyday...plus i hated e jackson....plus i had heard about austin jackson too.....we gave the mariners garbage for fister. I liked that trade the min it was made.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thats why we wanted to trade him last year....especially to a team that could afford to keep him...i agree its too late now....