• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2014 Thread

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't really leaning on a Rondon all star campaign... but i think this hurts more than iggy. Iggy was all glove... and can be replaced by worth without really having a huge change in wins/losses. Rondon was the set up guy... this one is going to have to be filled at some point by trade this season.... most likely closer to the trade deadline... but will non the less be filled by trade. My guess is that one of the fringe bullpen guys holds down the fort like Reed or Hardy.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Casey Crosby already got dropped to minor league camp, but Im sure we see him get a shot as a lefty bullpen option. (Unless he was "injured" and not just "hurt" earlier this spring.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Casey Crosby already got dropped to minor league camp, but Im sure we see him get a shot as a lefty bullpen option. (Unless he was "injured" and not just "hurt" earlier this spring.

I am sure we will see a parade of guys like Crosby and a few other starter prospects that are making their way from aa to aaa try to fill the spot... I heard Drew Verhagen's name tossed out there as well. Don't be surprised to see Melvin Mercedes either... a Rondon clone.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corey Knebel is another one.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow sounds like boo boo to me....BP gonna stink it up

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers have the starting pitching to still win a lot of games, but there are also a bunch of high-strikeout, high pitch count guys in that rotation who will turn the game over to the bullpen often. I see a lot of blown saves in the 7th/8th, before we ever get the ball to Nathan. And they have no depth at starter anymore, so anything worse than a minor injury to a starter is gonna hurt.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers have the starting pitching to still win a lot of games, but there are also a bunch of high-strikeout, high pitch count guys in that rotation who will turn the game over to the bullpen often. I see a lot of blown saves in the 7th/8th, before we ever get the ball to Nathan. And they have no depth at starter anymore, so anything worse than a minor injury to a starter is gonna hurt.

I was thinking that exact same thing before rondon got hurt....7th and 8th innings gonna be some hectic baseball for tiger fans....hanrahan, aardsma, dotel, madson have all been brought up i hear....more boo boo or injury prone guys....

The tigers BP is like the lions CB problem....always seems to get overlooked when it comes to FA...

2 straight yrs rondon was counted on and failed....next yr he will prolly be praised as a stud again....a failure to be closer and an injury...what will it be next year?

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 straight yrs rondon was counted on and failed....next yr he will prolly be praised as a stud again....a failure to be closer and an injury...what will it be next year?

Cleaves, this shouldn't even be a small problem for you. In fact, I'm surprised you are considering it a positive that Rondon got hurt. You have all but labelled him a flop. Not sure how you come up with failure. Just think of all those potential blown saves by Rondon that his injury saved the Tigers.

Heck, if Nick C goes down the Tigers should all but have the division locked up.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's frustrating to watch the Tigers not address a well known weakness like the Lions refuse to address the secondary......Hell the fans have seen the weakness for years, but the experts the Lions and Tigers hire and pay can't see it or do anything about it for years?

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's frustrating to watch the Tigers not address a well known weakness like the Lions refuse to address the secondary......Hell the fans have seen the weakness for years, but the experts the Lions and Tigers hire and pay can't see it or do anything about it for years?
I can understand those feelings but think the comparison isn't fair. The Tiger are in the playoffs very often and have been to a couple of WS in the last ten years. The Lions just suck. It isn't the CB's holding them back. It is their front office.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, how many teams can lose their starting LF, SS and set-up guy and still be looked at as the favorites to win their division? We should feel fortunate. I remember a time when the Tigers had very little chance even when healthy.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleaves, this shouldn't even be a small problem for you. In fact, I'm surprised you are considering it a positive that Rondon got hurt. You have all but labelled him a flop. Not sure how you come up with failure. Just think of all those potential blown saves by Rondon that his injury saved the Tigers.

Heck, if Nick C goes down the Tigers should all but have the division locked up.

Yeah i didnt trust him, but i wanted SOMEONE outside the organization to become our set up guy and rondon knocked down to the 7th inning guy....one decent righty and one decent lefty in the offseason for the BP wouldve been enough to offset all the other moves or losses we had during the offseason....with our SP, a good middle relief along with nathan couldve made this team very good with the moves towards speed and defense we made....with rondon i was ready for alot of blown saves in the 6-8th innings....now that number could be worse than i thought.....but theres always a chance in baseball for guys to come out of nowhere and have a great season.....lets hope AL AL or joba have that type of comeback...

Lobstein lobbed up the long balls today..

If nick c goes down the tigers go down in my eyes...he is key to have at least an avg year...260 15hr 60rbi's id be happy with.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, how many teams can lose their starting LF, SS and set-up guy and still be looked at as the favorites to win their division? We should feel fortunate. I remember a time when the Tigers had very little chance even when healthy.

Lucky for the AL central.....but i still think KC will be there to the end.....and every year one team in the central comes out of nowhere to contend. 2 yrs ago the sox....last yr the injuns....

I remember when the tigers sucked ass....but after last year....im just lost to try and figure why we didnt try and address the BP....remember i love the nathan signing...was an upgrade, just not a huge upgrade to what benoit did...when a team has been to 3 straight ALCS...that means your close....being that close is frustrating when the team doesnt address a need to help get you over the top....they got a great closer but didnt help get any middle relief...the lions have had talent but the front office wont address the CB situation....unless its signing bums cut from other teams or drafting one in the 5th rd to develope....

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not trying to be funny but those players are dirks, iggy, and rondon.....not household names outside of detroit.....now if miggy, jv max or sanchez go down for a long period...they might not be favored anymore

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not so sure were contenders, and if we are it's because of the AL Central were in....Put the Tigers in the West with the Rangers, Angels and A's and they would shred us.........So who exactly is looking at us a favorites.....I'm not and I'm a fan.

One frustrated fans opinion.....Hell it might be the Royals year to win the Central.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah i didnt trust him, but i wanted SOMEONE outside the organization to become our set up guy and rondon knocked down to the 7th inning guy....one decent righty and one decent lefty in the offseason for the BP wouldve been enough to offset all the other moves or losses we had during the offseason....with our SP, a good middle relief along with nathan couldve made this team very good with the moves towards speed and defense we made....with rondon i was ready for alot of blown saves in the 6-8th innings....now that number could be worse than i thought.....but theres always a chance in baseball for guys to come out of nowhere and have a great season.....lets hope AL AL or joba have that type of comeback...
So, you were negative on the Tigers before Rondon's injury because Rondon couldn't handle the set-up role. Now that he is gone you are even more negative because his replacement is even worse. But.......you still think the Tigers win the division?

Sounds like you have all your bases covered for the "I told you so's". There is literally no outcome of this season where we won't have to listen to how right you were.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats your projections of the Tigers this year Jalopy? You seemed awful concerned with Cleaves opinion.....Where do you have the Tigers finishing in the division and the playoffs if they make it?

You pick at him but we don't know where you stand.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you were negative on the Tigers before Rondon's injury because Rondon couldn't handle the set-up role. Now that he is gone you are even more negative because his replacement is even worse. But.......you still think the Tigers win the division?

Sounds like you have all your bases covered for the "I told you so's". There is literally no outcome of this season where we won't have to listen to how right you were.

Not if ANY of the pitchers we have steps up and does well....you know, everyone they kept to help get the ball to nathan....ALAL, coke, krol, joba....thats what we had in the pen with rondon going into the season...thats not a good pen for a team trying to win the 3-2 4-3 type games......so if any of those pitchers steps up and does great, you can tell me "i told you so" ......i keep bringing this up...we lost smyly and benoit.....those were really the guys for the 7th and 8th innings....we were just missing nathan last year.....now we get him and lose the big set up guys...