• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2014 Thread

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the question. Are the Tigers better off signing Drew now or in June after the MLB amateur draft? If they wait, they won't have to forfeit a draft pick. My guess is the price for Drew at this point is around $10-11MM for the year. Signing him in June would reduce that. I guess it all depends if the Tigers are prepared to open the season with Perez. Tough call.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce Rondon to have Tommy John surgery.....what next?

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SS may not be the biggest issue now....BP was going to be an unknown and now there is a really big hole.....

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jeezus, the Tiger players are dropping like flies this spring. Gonna go through a season like the Red Wings have if this keeps up.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Snakebitten. Tigers could be in some real trouble. Losing Rondon hurts as much as Iggy. I would say the AL Central is a wide open race now.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say the AL Central is a wide open race now.

Yep. Losing Rondon weakens an already weak bullpen, and Iglesias was a big part of the team's defensive improvement.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeezus, the Tiger players are dropping like flies this spring. Gonna go through a season like the Red Wings have if this keeps up.

Red wings and spartys hoop team.....

Yup shouldve gotten more pieces for the pen during the offseason....i just didnt trust rondon anyways...those hard throwers like him and zumaya tend to get injured.....this BP is going to be a joke IMO....we need to find a team with a decent SS and some pen help....but we dont have much to trade anymore....with sanchez iffy....our SP is thin

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't putting a TON of faith in Rondon, but it seemed like he was moving in the right direction. He showed up to camp 30 pounds lighter, and reports were his secondary pitches had improved. Just 1 ER in 7 innings of work this spring... then the elbow started hurting.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleaves' worst case scenario is happening for this team. I fully expect Castellanos to trip going down the clubhouse steps and suffer a concussion.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is bad bad news on Rondon. Much worse than losing Iggy or Dirks IMO.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the refs let them play like they have last night and tonight, sparty will be fine...but if they call a tight game, sparty could get into trouble.....a cincy sparty matchup will be a backyard football brawl if the refs let them play...which i hope they do..

Michigan got a tough bracket like sparty did last year....spartys 4 seed is a better spot then michigans 2 in my eyes....duke michigan will be a great game....2 teams i dislike but think are pretty good...plus i hate jabari for dissin sparty lol...texas could be a tough match up for UM....they got that big guy that came out the gates on us....just gotta wear him down.

So much for the Duke/MI matchup. Mercer baby! Best 100vbucks I've ever lost. Hahahaha.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers trade Alverz to Angles for SS Andrew Romine.....

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know this guy but is any better than what we have at SS? I could see Alverz as a good lefty in the BP.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.... Alvarez wasn't great, but with us being so thin at LHP already, the move is a bit of a surprise.

Romine is 28 and has a whopping 150 major league at-bats, so I'm guessing he's nothing special. He's actually played more 3B than SS in his brief major league career.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Free Press is reporting that Drew will agree to sign a one year deal with the Tigers, even after the Tigers made the deal with the Angles......WTF....

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know this guy but is any better than what we have at SS? I could see Alverz as a good lefty in the BP.

I just seen this on cbs....and thought the same thing...alvarez wasnt great but cant worth do what this new guy can do? What if sanchez shoulder flairs up? We are thin at starting pitcher.....fister traded...rondon hurt....sanchez hurting.....alvarez traded.....wtf is going on? Lets all pray ricky is good rick this year....and smyly can handle a whole year of starting..

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KISSIMMEE, FLA. — Veteran free-agent shortstop Stephen Drew is willing to sign a one-year contract with the Tigers, a person familiar with Drew’s thinking said today.
So despite the Tigers’ trade today with the Angels for shortstop Andrew Romine, could Drew now be attractive to them?
By taking a one-year deal, Drew wouldn’t impede Jose Iglesias’ future with the Tigers. Drew could then leave the Tigers as a free agent after this season. Iglesias, who will miss at least most of this season, is expected to be back for the start of next season.
This is the first indication that the Tigers could obtain Drew, 31, without signing him to a multi-year deal.
It is believed Drew would want $14 million on a one-year deal with the Tigers. That would equal what he turned down from the Red Sox last fall as a free agent. The Tigers might eventually find his price worth it because he would represent a huge upgrade over their current inexperienced group of shortstops.
Romine, 28, has started 15 big-league games at short. General manager Dave Dombrowski said for now Romine figures to share shortstop with either Danny Worth, who has started 26 big-league games at short, or rookie Hernan Perez, who never has started a big-league game at short.
Drew has been a starting shortstop in the big leagues since his rookie season of 2006. He’s started nearly 900 games at short.
It is also believed Drew wouldn’t want to sign with the Tigers until the day after Opening Day. If he waits to sign until after the season starts, he will be an unrestricted free agent next off-season, with no compensation attached. If he signs before then, his new club will have the right to make him a “qualifying offer” when he becomes a free agent. If the team makes the qualifying offer, it is entitled to a high draft pick as compensation from the team that signs him.
Drew received a qualifying offer from Boston, and so if the Tigers sign him before the June draft, they’d have to give Boston their first-round pick in the June draft. The Tigers in recent years haven’t shown any reluctance to give up their first-round pick to sign free agents (Jose Valverde, Victor Martinez and Prince Fielder).
Drew, who bats left-handed, could also alleviate what has become a heavy tilt toward right-handed batters in the Tigers lineup. This issue emerged when the Tigers traded left-handed-swinging cleanup man Prince Fielder for right-handed-hitting Ian Kinsler.
Dombrowski declined to comment on Drew when asked about him Thursday.
Contact John Lowe: [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @freeptigers.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They must like what they see in Ray to trade Alvarez. Romine is an upgrade on defense (over Worth and Perez), which seems to be a huge emphasis for our new manager.
I think this puts the Drew talk on the shelf until at least June. I don't see the Tigers giving up a draft pick and that much money.