• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2014 Thread

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The talk in here last yr by a few was to trade max at trade deadline last year and get some good pieces back to help win the WS.....jv sanchez fister porcello and either smyly or a pitcher we got in trade....that still wouldve been good....of course this was when prince was still on books and alot didnt think detroit could afford to keep max.....
Max on a 1 year contract just isn't going to fetch a lot. Not last fall, not now, and not at the trade deadline. It would free up monies down the road but would do little this year. His $15MM salary is a bargain. Tampa found out the same thing. The market for pitchers approaching FA has declined.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats why we wanted to trade him last year....especially to a team that could afford to keep him...i agree its too late now....

The market hasn't changed since last year. As far as I know, no baseball has been played since the end of last season. A team that can afford to keep him will just wait and sign him or someone else via FA. Nobody is going to cough up $27MM/yr AND a top prospect

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had no idea who Scherzer was when he was brought in...

Wrong. I knew who he was. He had more than a full season of MLB experience with the D-backs, including one season as a starter. Though he was 9-11 with the Dbacks, he displayed the stuff to get MLB hitters out, if not the consistency.

Ray was the #5 rated prospect in the Nationals' system. He has no MLB experience. I know DD is high on Ray's arm, but stop talking like we know as much about him as we did Scherzer. I call bullshit.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray was the #5 rated prospect in the Nationals' system. He has no MLB experience. I know DD is high on Ray's arm, but stop talking like we know as much about him as we did Scherzer. I call bullshit.

Good point, and I agree. We knew Max had the stuff to get MLB hitters out. BUT, we also gave up more to get him (and AJ). Remember, Grandy was coming into his prime and coming off a great season. People thought the Tigers were crazy for giving up on Grandy. The fact is, DD just didn't think enough of him to shell out the dough to sign him to a long term deal. ironically, that is very similar to how he feels about Max now.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st point... Miggy will get paid... By the Tigers... A ton.. enough to get him into his age 40 season... I bet my left nut on it. No way he gets a 5 year deal.. try 7-10 yrs.

2nd point... Fister didn't have a great era before being traded to the Tigers.. he had an ok era and then went nuts after the trade. No Tiger fan I talked to on CBS knew who he was and was pissed we went the cheap route and got Fister and not Jimenez...

3rd point... Name one trade Dombrowski got schooled on over the long term? The closest thing would be the Renteria trade.. and that looked a whole lot worse than it really was at first.. now... who wants Jurrgens?

You guys over react. Its pretty funny. I am willing to bet that Ray will be a Smyly type starter. Mid rotation ceiling. Just like Fister. They saved money and got younger. He is doing his job. Dombrowski is the best manager in baseball... nit picking him is comical at best.

Any Tigers fan that second guesses Dombrowski makes me just laugh... Seriously... the guy has ripped off so many other gm's the last 6 years its not even funny. He always pulls stuff out of his ass that fans question or judge.. then when it works out they jump for joy... the fact you guys don't trust his judgement calls after the success he has had is pretty funny.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubs may not have a top end pitching prospect... but they have like 3 guys that are top 20 prospects... that I am sure the Tigers would love to have.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overreacting to the team's lineup in March... The team is still build with a top end rotation and a great lineup anchored by the best hitter in baseball. As long as they are in reach of the division at the deadline, you know moves will be made. Why shoot your load in March when you can save ammo for when teams that are out of contention start to unload good players? Does anyone here think the Tigers 25 man roster will be the same on Aug 1st as it was on Apr 1st?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What number prospect was Fister in the Mariner's system? He was considered a low ceiling back end rotation prospect... scouts can be wrong... Robbie Ray's prospect rank is higher than Fisters ever was.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st point... Miggy will get paid... By the Tigers... A ton.. enough to get him into his age 40 season... I bet my left nut on it. No way he gets a 5 year deal.. try 7-10 yrs.

2nd point... Fister didn't have a great era before being traded to the Tigers.. he had an ok era and then went nuts after the trade. No Tiger fan I talked to on CBS knew who he was and was pissed we went the cheap route and got Fister and not Jimenez...

3rd point... Name one trade Dombrowski got schooled on over the long term? The closest thing would be the Renteria trade.. and that looked a whole lot worse than it really was at first.. now... who wants Jurrgens?

You guys over react. Its pretty funny. I am willing to bet that Ray will be a Smyly type starter. Mid rotation ceiling. Just like Fister. They saved money and got younger. He is doing his job. Dombrowski is the best manager in baseball... nit picking him is comical at best.

Any Tigers fan that second guesses Dombrowski makes me just laugh... Seriously... the guy has ripped off so many other gm's the last 6 years its not even funny. He always pulls stuff out of his ass that fans question or judge.. then when it works out they jump for joy... the fact you guys don't trust his judgement calls after the success he has had is pretty funny.

I agree with almost every word you wrote with these exceptions.

I think Ray has a higher ceiling than Fister. Barring injury, the comparison to Smyly (in terms of ability) is a good one
I am not as sure as you are about Miggy. A lot depends on his health. He turns 31 within a month and has two seasons left on his current contract. My guess is the Tigers want to tack on additional 5 years. If that is what you mean by 7-year contract, then I agree with you. However, I don't think they will add on an additional 7 yrs. at a premium price.
The Fister trade was a fair one but it didn't make the '14 team better. I think that is what has fans screaming. They fail to see the benefits down the road. Regardless of whether Rays is a gem or a bust, he likely won't be contributing a lot this year.
DD and Beane are by far the best GMs in baseball. Most fans are failing to see the parameters DD has to work within.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd point... Fister didn't have a great era before being traded to the Tigers..
he had an ok era and then went nuts after the trade.

Do your homework. Fister was 11-13 with a 2.83 ERA in 32 starts for Seattle in 2010 (with a 1.06 WHIP). He had a 3.33 ERA before joining the Tigers in 2011. Those are better than "ok" ERAs. His records sucked because Seattle couldn't hit its way out of a paper bag. (See Felix Hernandez' 13 wins in a Cy Young season.)

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lombardozzi for Alex Gonzalez interesting

Last edited by a moderator:

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do your homework. Fister was 11-13 with a 2.83 ERA in 32 starts for Seattle in 2010 (with a 1.06 WHIP). He had a 3.33 ERA before joining the Tigers in 2011. Those are better than "ok" ERAs. His records sucked because Seattle couldn't hit its way out of a paper bag. (See Felix Hernandez' 13 wins in a Cy Young season.)

I was going off the 3.33 era... which is not great.... it is ok...

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max on a 1 year contract just isn't going to fetch a lot. Not last fall, not now, and not at the trade deadline. It would free up monies down the road but would do little this year. His $15MM salary is a bargain. Tampa found out the same thing. The market for pitchers approaching FA has declined.

Last trade deadline, a team heading into the playoffs in need of a starter might of gave up something good for him...but i agree nobody will give anything for him this year....a trade last yr would of guaranteed a playoff run with max and a whole yr of max this yr....that was the talk by a few in here last trade deadline...since most of us figured we couldnt afford him anyways because we still had fielder at the time.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The market hasn't changed since last year. As far as I know, no baseball has been played since the end of last season. A team that can afford to keep him will just wait and sign him or someone else via FA. Nobody is going to cough up $27MM/yr AND a top prospect

A team desperate for a starter who was heading into the playoffs might had....plus they would of had him this yr....

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point, and I agree. We knew Max had the stuff to get MLB hitters out. BUT, we also gave up more to get him (and AJ). Remember, Grandy was coming into his prime and coming off a great season. People thought the Tigers were crazy for giving up on Grandy. The fact is, DD just didn't think enough of him to shell out the dough to sign him to a long term deal. ironically, that is very similar to how he feels about Max now.

Grandy couldnt hit lefties and wasnt a leadoff hitter...thats why he was traded...i was very upset but i knew the tigers had gotten better due to that trade...i just loved grandy...scherzer reminded me of homer bailey now...he had the talent but couldnt be consistant. Wasnt like scherzer was an unknown...plus i never cared for e jackson...thought he was a bum in TB...he did do ok for us tho but i never trusted him.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny Worth's shot at the mlb roster is done. Tigers should release him... If a call up is needed at ss its going to be Suarez as he is going to be the starter in Toledo. Perez is going to start in Toledo at 2nd. Worth is a 28 yr old AAAA player at this point... and that may be giving him to much credit. I doubt he makes to many other mlb teams 25 man rosters. He just doesn't do anything better than average at a mlb level.

Tigers prospects I will be watching this season to make big strides:

Jake Thompson - Future Starter
Johnathan Crawford - Future Starter
Robbie Ray - Future Starter
Endrys Briceno - Starter/Bullpen
Eugenio Suarez - SS
Daniel Fields - OF
Drew VerHagen - Starter / Bull Pen
Steven Moya - OF
Melvin Mercedes Closer
Corey Knebel - Closer

These guys are either future parts of the Tigers team or the chips for the mid season trade everyone knows is coming... But these are the ones to keep an eye on. Jake Thompson being the most intriguing. He is young... and has a mountain of potential.