• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2014 Thread

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will bet anyone here Prince Fielder hits below .270... He may hit 30+ hr.. but he is not going to hit for average nor will he be anywhere close to be worth 20 mil. The guy hit .300+ once... it was a fluke. He isn't going to get magically better in Texas... the only thing he may do better is hit a few more HR... but out side of that... Kinsler will have a better season. The lineup around him in Texas is nowhere near what surrounded him last year in Detroit... and you can only blame so much on his personal problems with his wife. Guy was slowly getting worse all year last year...

Kinsler wont have a better season than prince. In that ballpark and with that lineup protection prince will put up 35 and 120. He might not hit for average but he will have a much better year than kinsler. The benefit of this trade was for the long term, not 2014 and I approve of the trade completely. Never should have signed the guy.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol what do you mean the rangers lineup is nowhere near what detroit had last year? You are right, its much, much better.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanchez was one of the best pitchers in baseball last year...

So was scherzer and usually the law of averages takes over and so expect scherzer, sanchez, and verlander to all pitch like they normally do. Which means scherzer and sanchez will do worse while JV will do better. Its why scherzer shouldve been traded and not fister. Although after the fister trade I would be concerned that scherzer would be traded for a couple of back ups.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup when he could of just signed someone in free agency instead and saved the prospects...but DD is still my tiger...just didnt like this offseason....my opinion

Hes mine as well. Hes been a great GM. He has made three mistakes as far as I can tell. Trading fister was the big one. Ignoring the need for a closer last offseason was a huge one and he rectified it this year by signing nathan but then ignored the fact that the rest of his pen is either awful or inexperience therefore ignoring the pen again!

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. Its Spring. The team is going to be fine with out him if he misses time... Shin splints don't end careers. I would say if I had to bet... He either play opening day or very close to it. Outside of Dirks... not much else on the injury front so I think the Detroit media is making more of this than it is. Only way to treat shin splints is to stay off your legs for a few days... He will be fine.

Shin splints can last a long time. The tigers are interested in stephen drew so fans should be very concerned about his shin splints. Looks like he may be out indefinitely.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol what do you mean the rangers lineup is nowhere near what detroit had last year? You are right, its much, much better.

I don't know about much, much better but Texas will score runs in that ballpark. Profar hasn't shown he can hit either in the minors or during his time in the majors. Choo is already threatening the DL. Andrus is a stud, as is Beltre. Rios is good but not outstanding. On a neutral field I would give the edge to the '13 Tigers if you consider Peralta the SS.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hes going to have to focus on bullpen at the trade deadline and trade away good prospects for relievers.

I agree aside from the "good" part. Plenty of teams are always willing to save a million bucks at the end of July. Shouldn't take much to get a lefty that can get two guys out or a righty that nobody has trusted to close in the last four years. Or the bullpen won't actually be that bad in the first place.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about much, much better but Texas will score runs in that ballpark. Profar hasn't shown he can hit either in the minors or during his time in the majors. Choo is already threatening the DL. Andrus is a stud, as is Beltre. Rios is good but not outstanding. On a neutral field I would give the edge to the '13 Tigers if you consider Peralta the SS.

Yeah not much, much better was just emphasizing that its not like prince is going to some slouch of a lineup. The 2014 rangers lineup is much scarier than the 2013 tigers lineup.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup when he could of just signed someone in free agency instead and saved the prospects...but DD is still my tiger...just didnt like this offseason....my opinion

I don't know about trading for a RP. Unless Joba and Krol completely bomb, the Tigers will look to Toledo to fill spots. Hopefully, an improved defense means our SP's can last another inning on the same amount of pitches. I really look for Max and JV to have a drop in K's. As you have mentioned, Rondon and a healthy Nathan are the keys.

I agree with anyone that thinks Prince is going to have a monster year this year. I will be rooting for him except when he plays the Tigers (and A's and Angels). He might even challenge for a MVP. .290/44/112.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree aside from the "good" part. Plenty of teams are always willing to save a million bucks at the end of July. Shouldn't take much to get a lefty that can get two guys out or a righty that nobody has trusted to close in the last four years. Or the bullpen won't actually be that bad in the first place.

I hope you are right. Just depends on the market at the time.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else getting worries about iggy and his shin splints....they wont seem to go away.....

Not really. He's our worst hitter in the first place. Be nice to have his defense but they have options at short. (Not convinced its only shin splints though.)

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about trading for a RP. Unless Joba and Krol completely bomb, the Tigers will look to Toledo to fill spots. Hopefully, an improved defense means our SP's can last another inning on the same amount of pitches. I really look for Max and JV to have a drop in K's. As you have mentioned, Rondon and a healthy Nathan are the keys.

I agree with anyone that thinks Prince is going to have a monster year this year. I will be rooting for him except when he plays the Tigers (and A's and Angels). He might even challenge for a MVP. .290/44/112.

Joba and krol havent did anything in the past to indicate they will even be remotely reliable. If the tigers had help in toledo those guys would be on the team. Im not counting on much help from the minors for their pen. Anything can happen though and anyone can have a great season.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah not much, much better was just emphasizing that its not like prince is going to some slouch of a lineup. The 2014 rangers lineup is much scarier than the 2013 tigers lineup.

If it wasn't for the number of shutouts the '13 Tigers had, I would disagree with you. Another thing is, Texas is going to need to score a lot of runs if their pitching depth doesn't hold up.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it wasn't for the number of shutouts the '13 Tigers had, I would disagree with you. Another thing is, Texas is going to need to score a lot of runs if their pitching depth doesn't hold up.

That was pretty much why I leaned towad the rangers lineup being better, the shutouts and inconsistency of the tigers lineup last season. Statistically the tigers lineup was better with fielder in it last year than the rangers. But now you put fielder, choo and arencibia into the 2014 rangers lineup, and with profar being more developed? I like them. I also like the rangers pitching depth. They have a legit one and very solid two thru five and a nice pen. Rangers dodgers world series?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the runs the Rangers scored last year, and look at the OBP's they had at the top of the order. They added Choo and Prince and only lost an aging secon baseman who got thrown out trying to steal like crazy. Other than a healthy Angels, nobody is close to Texas' lineup wise, IMO. But they definitely have a couple questions marks in the staff an at the backend of their bullpen. (Soria was great in KC, hasn't closed in awhile.)

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the runs the Rangers scored last year, and look at the OBP's they had at the top of the order. They added Choo and Prince and only lost an aging secon baseman who got thrown out trying to steal like crazy. Other than a healthy Angels, nobody is close to Texas' lineup wise, IMO. But they definitely have a couple questions marks in the staff an at the backend of their bullpen. (Soria was great in KC, hasn't closed in awhile.)

I will wager the Rangers aren't in the top 3 in runs scored on the road in the AL.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not. But they'll be top 3 overall. (The Yankees may score a ton, liked their offseason moves.). Im a little partial to my monkey, what kind of wager you thinking jalopy?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also like the dodgers to put up a gazillion runs along with the angels.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not. But they'll be top 3 overall. (The Yankees may score a ton, liked their offseason moves.). Im a little partial to my monkey, what kind of wager you thinking jalopy?

Loser has to use an "iffy" avatar for a month.