• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2014 Thread

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Opening Day Lineup:
(assuming they face Shields (R))

2B Kinsler
CF AJ
1B Cabrera
DH Martinez
RF Hunter
3B Castellanos
C Avila
LF Davis
SS Iglesias

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said #320K (<$500K) is not a huge price to pay to find out Coke isn't going to cut it.

The "price to pay" is meaningless if he starts costing us regular-season ball games. I would agree with keeping him around until the end of spring to see if his velocity and location come around. But if there are ANY doubts by then, pay him his $475K and kick him to the curb.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said #320K (<$500K) is not a huge price to pay to find out Coke isn't going to cut it. I also said that it would be a tragedy if he went north. I can't figure out if you are arguing with my opinion or agreeing with it.

They have to cut him by tomorrow to only owe 320K.....

Thats a huge price to pay to find out coke cant cut it.....what made people think he could cut it?...he was booed out of NY.......has done nothing since coming to detroit except the 2012 playoffs....and what was that? 2 games i think...not to mention the tigers have NO back up plan.....we have NOT one left hander in the BP who can come in and get lefties out when needed...playoff baseball is late inning match ups...whos gonna get ortiz out this year? Krol? Below? Crosby?

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "price to pay" is meaningless if he starts costing us regular-season ball games. I would agree with keeping him around until the end of spring to see if his velocity and location come around. But if there are ANY doubts by then, pay him his $475K and kick him to the curb.

Yeah i agree...were into him for 320K, might as well pony up the xtra money and hope for a miracle.....but i agree with you....lets not waste regular season games by hoping he FINDS it.....ala valverde.....ala ryan perry....ala matt anderson

Like i said....we traded fister to save money....but if coke makes the roster....and ends up sucking as most of us know he will....then he gets cut during the season......thats a 1.5 million dollar mistake...hopefully a LH gets dumped by someone and we pick him up.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"- Coke threw 18 pitches, 10 for strikes, but the breakdown tells a better story. Of the 12 fastballs he threw, 10 went for strikes. Of the six breaking balls he threw, none of them went for strikes. Coke fell behind three of the four batters he faced and went to 3-0 against Anthony Gose before battling back to strike him out to end the inning.

-- Joba Chamberlain surrendered a game-tying two-run home run to first baseman Dan Johnson in the seventh inning. In one inning of work, Chamberlain allowed two runs on two hits and two walks."

Im so glad we upgraded our pathetic BP from last year....we cant go wrong with the combo of jobu coke....looks like we get rid of valverde and keep more guys who cant throw strikes....if i was a lefty facing coke....im sitting on fastball.....

On a bright note....DK goes deep.....will DK get the opening day start in LF vs shields?

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another bright note... Verlander looked good in his first spring start, and more importantly, looked healthy.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im so glad we upgraded our pathetic BP from last year....

C'mon cleaves! Are you really going to whine about and blame everthing on the BP all year. At least wait until the regular season before you start cherry picking the poor performances.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not scoring any runs lost more games than the bullpen did last season.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Tigers were one of the top scoring teams in baseball last season, but they didn't spread them out very well. 9-2 wins followed by 2-1 losses. Hopefully with more speed and less station-to-station/wait for the big hit, that changes.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not looking at the numbers right now, but I believe it was 13 times that Detroit was shutout. That's awful. Right with ya Howie, hopefully the increased emphasis on base running (steals just being a part of that) will change the Jekyll and Hyde offense.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looking at last year's stats, and the Tigers were first in the league in BA, second in OBP, and second in runs scored (both 2nd places behind Boston). How does a team with those numbers get shut out 13 freaking times??? "Jekyll and Hyde" indeed.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know the offense gave the bullpen a 5-1 lead in game 2, the biggest game of the year......couldve been 2-0 going back to detroit.

Cant help it everytime i click on mlive or something they are talking about how bad this bullpen could be....if we havent been so close to winning it all lately i wouldnt care much....but when all we were missing was a decent BP and did nothing to improve it......wait and see.....this team will miss that lefty in the BP big time...

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not looking at the numbers right now, but I believe it was 13 times that Detroit was shutout. That's awful. Right with ya Howie, hopefully the increased emphasis on base running (steals just being a part of that) will change the Jekyll and Hyde offense.

How many games did the BP fail in the 7th 8th 9th and xtra innings?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup.....this team ignored needing a lefty in the pen....if we had a good lefty to face ortiz last year....we could be talking about the reigning champs....instead were talking how happy we are the choking fielder is gone...and how its going to be different cuz we have nathan now.....closer wasnt our issue last year...

Wouldve rather kept veras over joba too..

Fielder was probably going regardless. That contract and his declining play the last few years did that. I dont think nathan will make the pen better. He will solidify the closer role which was solid after JL finally realized he had to put benoit in there. Besides nathan, theres not an arm in that pen I trust. Unless the tigers are going to trade for a few relievers come trade deadline fans will be seeing leads dissipate once again against legit offenses come playoff time.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looking at last year's stats, and the Tigers were first in the league in BA, second in OBP, and second in runs scored (both 2nd places behind Boston). How does a team with those numbers get shut out 13 freaking times??? "Jekyll and Hyde" indeed.

The tigers offense truly lives and dies with miggy. When he struggles they struggle. This is why he is hands down MVP imo. He truly is the difference on offense. There were so many games last year where it was just shocking how it seemed the tiges only hopes was miggy to carry them. That is also an illistration of how useless prince was as a tiger, I think. Yeah he put up power numbers, but it always seemed like he would come up short in the serious pressure situations. Miggy is the only tiger I had complete faith in in those situations.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. Both were huge concerns though. I cannot believe how many games the tigers played consecutively where they struggled to scratch out more than two runs. It legitimately got to the point where if the tigers opponents scored two runs the game was over, in my eyes. Their offensive stats can be very misleading as they struggled mightily to be consistent over periods of time and then would put up massive numbers for five games in a row.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the offense gave the bullpen a 5-1 lead in game 2, the biggest game of the year......couldve been 2-0 going back to detroit.

Cant help it everytime i click on mlive or something they are talking about how bad this bullpen could be....if we havent been so close to winning it all lately i wouldnt care much....but when all we were missing was a decent BP and did nothing to improve it......wait and see.....this team will miss that lefty in the BP big time...
Seriously?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I retract my original assessment after reviewing the rangers depth chart. World series champs and in the toughest division. Seattle, oakland and the angels are all going to be around or better than .500 as well. The astros will be the absolute worst team in baseball.
Rangers have
Andrus
Choo
Beltre
Fielder
Profar
Rios
Moreland
Arencibia as their backup, ridiculous

An amazing pen with feliz, soria, ross, bard, etc and a good enough rotation
Darvish is elite, harrison and lewis have been consistent, hanson will bounce back and be a solid two if healthy, and ogando.

I feel like IM still missing one or two.

It wasnt long that CJ Wilson was their number one pitcher. They have improved drastically from those days. There are rotations better than theirs but with that offense, (power, speed, obp) that pen and a legit one thru five with a true ace they have come a long ways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many games did the BP fail in the 7th 8th 9th and xtra innings?

How many extra-inning games went into the 12th, 13th, 14th because the Tiger offense was in one of its puke stretches? I don't call those games a bullpen failure. That's on the offense.

The bullpen lost a lot of leads in April-May last season. After that, the BP was pretty darn good, especially once you got the ball to Smyly (+Veras later) and Benoit. Pretty darn good until the ALCS, that is.