• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2014 Thread

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look for the tigers to scan any left over OF's once teams make their rosters....if nothing pops out i think crowe or carrera will make the team. Wheres quentin berry when u need him....hes fast

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look for the tigers to scan any left over OF's once teams make their rosters....if nothing pops out i think crowe or carrera will make the team. Wheres quentin berry when u need him....hes fast
Again, Dirks is out 2 months. Tigers aren't desperate to make a move. LF isn't a key defensive position and Dirk's bat is not being counted on to power the offense. This injury won't make or break the season.
Why all the sarcasm about speed? Would you rather have a talented player with speed or without?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read nicky c has been having trouble defensively at 3B....2 errors, but also 2 friendly calls that could of made it 4 errors.....i hope he figures it out quick....at least with miggy he had a nice glove and cannon but no range....starting to look like nick might have more range but a worse glove.

It's going to be a very road I believe.

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could it be the end of the line for Phil Coke. So far 4 IP and giving up lots of hits . More importantly barely hitting 90 on the gun. Normally you could say its only spring. But, coming off a season with a plus 5 ERA and with a new manager with no sacred cows. Could be the end for Coke.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Signed a minor league deal with the O's.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could it be the end of the line for Phil Coke. So far 4 IP and giving up lots of hits . More importantly barely hitting 90 on the gun. Normally you could say its only spring. But, coming off a season with a plus 5 ERA and with a new manager with no sacred cows. Could be the end for Coke.

Not good news, but every Tiger fan saw that one coming........Why is it in the Big Leagues it takes a year or more for management to see something that is obvious to the casual fan?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree... outside of Coke's run during the 2012 playoffs... He has been fecal for a while.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not good news, but every Tiger fan saw that one coming........Why is it in the Big Leagues it takes a year or more for management to see something that is obvious to the casual fan?

Seems like it might be valverde all over again. The tigers pen is looking to be in for a rough season.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Coke was worth a look with what the Tigers have in the BP. I believe he was signed to a minor league contract and very little of it was guaranteed (<$500K). The tragedy would be if he is on the roster come Opening Day.
At this point, I would rather see Reed go North with the team. From what I have seen and heard his fastball has some pop this Spring and he looks like he has deserved a chance. Definitely a reach though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like it might be valverde all over again. The tigers pen is looking to be in for a rough season.

Yup.....this team ignored needing a lefty in the pen....if we had a good lefty to face ortiz last year....we could be talking about the reigning champs....instead were talking how happy we are the choking fielder is gone...and how its going to be different cuz we have nathan now.....closer wasnt our issue last year...

Wouldve rather kept veras over joba too..

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
15 nothing good guys! 5th inning. MaxiePoo stretched it out a little today fellas.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nicky C went deep again too. Danny and Donnie Boy had good days also. I was pretty pumped Max came out and started the fifth.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Phil Coke =
blackberry-ipad-the-blackpad-coming-in-november-probably-toast.jpg

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Coke was worth a look with what the Tigers have in the BP. I believe he was signed to a minor league contract and very little of it was guaranteed (<$500K). The tragedy would be if he is on the roster come Opening Day.
At this point, I would rather see Reed go North with the team. From what I have seen and heard his fastball has some pop this Spring and he looks like he has deserved a chance. Definitely a reach though.

500K? Try 1.9 million if hes on the opening day roster........

"JUPITER, Fla. -- The Detroit Tigers waived Brennan Boesch in the middle of March last spring so they would be on the hook for just one-sixth of his salary. Could Phil Coke meet with the same fate in mid-March of 2014?

If he does, you will find out by Wednesday, which is the deadline for the Tigers to make the move and be off the hook for the vast majority of the $1.9 million salary Coke is due this season. If they were to waive him by the deadline, they would owe him about $320,000 of that $1.9 million.

But it seems very likely that Coke will stick around for a bit. Holding on to Coke for now would not significantly increase the financial risk for the Tigers. They will owe him just one-quarter of his salary -- $475,000 -- if he is released sometime after Wednesday but prior to opening day."

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
500K? Try 1.9 million if hes on the opening day roster........

As I said #320K (<$500K) is not a huge price to pay to find out Coke isn't going to cut it. I also said that it would be a tragedy if he went north. I can't figure out if you are arguing with my opinion or agreeing with it.