• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2013 Thread

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shocking to think the astros and padres (60 mil and 80 mil) get more local $$ than the Tigers. We are however the # 11 media market in the MLB, so I'm not sure no matter how high the ratings are that FSN can make enough selling ad space to get much above 50 mil a year even after the contract is up.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why you would trade anyone for Choo....he will be a free agent in a couple of weeks. Did you mean try and sign Choo and then trade Scherzer?

I knew he was gonna be...thats why i said hes gonna sign with the yanks.....i was pointing out that choo is the type or value player i would trade max for.....but choo will demand alot.....hes a top notch leadoff hitter, who can run, and field. Just what we need.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford plays in LA and they have been TV deals than Detroit. Comparing LA and NY payrolls to Detroit's is misleading.

Miggy is 30
Prince is 29

Not much difference in age. Miggy's numbers are sick and if I am betting on who plays better longer I am all in on Miggy.

Yes it is Illitches money but Detroit just does not bring in enough cash to have 4 players making 90 million a year. Even with the success Detroit had they may have had to make it to the world series to make money this year. That report should be out I have not seen it yet though.

The problem isn't Prince is a bad player. He has respectable numbers but they don't add up to 27 million next year and on a team that has a glut of 1st basemen. If he could play OF it becomes less of an issue. But I would hate to see either Miggy or Prince try to play OF.

Miggy did win his ring as a leftfielder. But that was a loooooooong time ago. Prince probably wouldn't be any worse than Rob Deer in right, but I don't need to see him prove it. Hahaha.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
trade rumors estimates choo to get 6 years 100 million. template set by the Hunter Pence deal of 5 years 90 mil. Still cheaper than what Ellsbury will probably get .

5 years 90 million for pence? And people cry about prince?

Im telling you guys...in 3-4 years players will be making 30 mil a year.....at least princes contract numbers are locked in just in case he puts up great numbers.....which i guess is a couple more RBI's and 10 more HR's....i dont know, im just babbling lol....but our fans are starting to sound like yankee fans....blaming the guy with a big contract. For having a bad 11 game stretch......when in all truth pretty much all the hitters sucked including miggy. Havent heard one person blast tori...i guess cuz hes a great guy?

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Santana's due for a down year. Guys bi-polar statistically.

I knew there was something worth reading tonite and there it is.......Bi-Polar statistically......Effing Classic!

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sound a little high for Choo. Ellsbury's injury history scares me. I would think they are both worth about $75M for 5 years in today's market. I would rather see the team trade for younger talent than overpay more free agents.

I wonder what the Rangers would trade for Max. Beltre? Profar?

I also wonder what the royals would ask for Erwin Santana. He's in a similar situation as Max but should be cheaper.

We should get some indication of what direction the club is headed by the manager they announce.

No way to santana....that guy is waaaaay to inconsistent......plus hes gonna want money after his good year....you watch.....santana will have his shitty year next year.....its his pattern.....lol just know this because this topic came up through the year on the al central smack talk about santana. Vice actually pointed it out and the kc fans actually agreed.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant see why illitch cant spend if he wants to.....i heard they were getting 25 million in tv next year....plus we had 3 million fans....playoff games......the red wings constantly selling out, and he cant spend big there anymore.....lil ceasers pizza pizza......with ticket prices rising every year and the cost of living, the contracts like princes wont be so bad in 5 yrs......if hunter pence is worth 5 yr 90 million? Every year new FA's cash in on huge pay days....its just the way it is......i remember when people were complaining about players making 3 million a year. Geez im old.....i remember when making a million meant you were a star. Man i miss the 80's.

Just look at sanchez....if you would of told me 3 years ago he was going to be making what he makes with the tigers, i woulda called u crazy.

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
magic # is probably 171 mil. That is when you are over the luxury tax. Tigers made the grandy deal after the 08 season when they went over luxury tax # and had to write a check to MLB. So my guess is Mr I just will not write a check to pay for teams like the A's, Pirates, Rays etc.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scherzer has learned how to pitch. I see him having a couple more very good years.
he could be even better...

Jackosn is not a lead off hitter. we got to keep him out of that spot.

Tigers will stick with dirks one more year. mostly because they pay him peanuts and they always give a guy plenty of time..some times to much time to prove them selfs.

Trade V mart??? such a good hitter....its what we need. it would be foolish not to keep him one more year

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the idiots on the sports talk radio (if you can call it here in Detroit). all consider Max gone. like its a done deal.

If we just had a good bull pen..lot of these problems wouldn't seem so bad.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just look at sanchez....if you would of told me 3 years ago he was going to be
making what he makes with the tigers, i woulda called u crazy.

Yeah, that's kinda the standard, I'm afraid. The Tigers gave 5 years/$80 mill to a pitcher that had a 3.70 career ERA in the National League and had never won more than 13 games in a season. If Sanchez, at that point, was worth $16 mill a season, Max can shoot for the moon.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the idiots on the sports talk radio (if you can call it here in Detroit). all consider Max gone. like its a done deal.

It really depends on what the Tigers are offered. If a team is desperate enough to give us someone we could use, why not listen?

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's kinda the standard, I'm afraid. The Tigers gave 5 years/$80 mill to a pitcher that had a 3.70 career ERA in the National League and had never won more than 13 games in a season. If Sanchez, at that point, was worth $16 mill a season, Max can shoot for the moon.

If Max were to sign now he would easily surpass those numbers. With another good year, he could be looking at 5-6 years at $21-$23MM per year.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They might be idiots for other reasons but they arent idiots for suggesting max is gone.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The original post should have read Max "or" Nick C. As for Max, yes he will be Cy Young winner but we only have him for one more year. If we want him after that we will have to pay (above) market price. So would I trade one year of Max for a cheap home run hitter that strikes out too much? Yes, I would.

Im not sure you ever know what you are talking about..

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shinny shin shin is a FA. Boras guy, thinks he's getting a monster a deal.... Hopefully he takes a three year and is out leadoff hitter. The Indians woulda been real tough if he were still on the north side of Ohio this past season.

Choo would be oh so sweet. Now theres a complete player.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo would be oh so sweet. Now theres a complete player.

He'd be the best FA addition in franchise history. (Maggs wasnt much of an outfielder, Pudge was on the downswing, Sanchez goes every fifth day, Toriis old...) A bonifide top of the order hitter who can play all three outfield spots well, very well. Elsbury has a history with the DL, which scares me. Choo just needs to realize he's only going to get overpaid on a short deal, then were all set.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd be the best FA addition in franchise history. (Maggs wasnt much of an outfielder, Pudge was on the downswing, Sanchez goes every fifth day, Toriis old...) A bonifide top of the order hitter who can play all three outfield spots well, very well. Elsbury has a history with the DL, which scares me. Choo just needs to realize he's only going to get overpaid on a short deal, then were all set.

Not trying to be negative, but Fangraphs is not thrilled with his defense. I'm guessing he might be better as a corner outfielder. Five to six year deal at an average of around $16 million a year? If the Yankees decide they really want him...Boras is good at using them to jack up the price.