• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2013 Thread

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read ANOTHER list of possible managerial candidates that could replace JL..,

Manny Acta, Brookens, (Tiger bullpen coach) Rojas, Wallach, Lloyd, Luvello, Baker, Ausmus. None of these guys grabs my interest actually. It looks like it was easier to complain about Leyland, than it will be to replace him. I think in 5 or 6 years, people will look back at the Leyland years with fond memories. Not quite Sparky-like - but close. Old Smokey was distinctive...will any of the guys above be able to reach those heights?

Interesting article in the Dearborn Press. The writer raises the question of "Why Brad Ausmus?" Questions his lack of a resume and wonders if Ausmus' best quality is the ability to promote himself.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whens the first game of spring training???

DD better fix that bull pen. a few think he is wonder GM. He really hasn't did much in that area since he has been GM for the Tigers.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ausmus aint getting the job.

Either Llyod or some older huy that has been waiting for awhile at a shot.
I would bet he will be latino.

remember I said it first here. he will be latino.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
come on doug dd has done a great job putting this team together.....

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
come on doug dd has done a great job putting this team together.....

I don't think I agree with this. He has put together a talented team but if you looked at W/$ I don't think he would fare that well. Fortunately, the Tigers play in a division that has allowed the to have regular season success.

I also don't believe the team represents the stadium they play in or the town. The stadium dimensions seem to call for speed and defense to be a priority. It isn't. Instead, we get strikeout and ground ball pitchers with a porous defense. Detroit is a traditional baseball town and the brand played by the current team is hardly traditional.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think doug was saying he sucks, just that he hasnt done much for the pen. The one guy I think that really helped the pen that he got was zumaya in 06, besides that I cant think of anyone as impressive.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I agree with this. He has put together a talented team but if you looked at W/$ I don't think he would fare that well. Fortunately, the Tigers play in a division that has allowed the to have regular season success.

I also don't believe the team represents the stadium they play in or the town. The stadium dimensions seem to call for speed and defense to be a priority. It isn't. Instead, we get strikeout and ground ball pitchers with a porous defense. Detroit is a traditional baseball town and the brand played by the current team is hardly traditional.

DD has been one of the better GMs in baseball.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they were counting on some guys at the first of the season and they didn't come through....octel, AlAl, Rondon early, Coke, on and on and most sucked and the Tigers were stuck, there was no fix to be found.....

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DD has been one of the better GMs in baseball.

Why? The Granderson trade? He gets a lot of credit from bringing the Tigers back from their 119 loss season but Ilitch's wallet had a lot to do with that. I'm not saying he has done poorly but lets not put him in Billy Beane territory. The team has overspent for their success, a business model that can't last. The minor league system has been raped of talent.
They need to restock their system using guys like Max and VMart but DD won't do it. Better to further mortgage the future.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....with one of the highest payrolls in the league, the Tigers are 6 games over .500 against teams not in the AL Central over the past 3 seasons.

K

kengel6

Ausmus aint getting the job.

Either Llyod or some older huy that has been waiting for awhile at a shot.
I would bet he will be latino.

remember I said it first here. he will be latino.

How about Ozzie G? The Latin Billy Martin.

:wtf2:

Chief602

Resident Wookie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is an absolute time bomb Kengel but I think he would be well received in the clubhouse and make a lot of right moves. He has also won a WS with less talent.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DD has been good. BUT..he has had a lot of money to spend.

NO rings YET... just saying. biggest mistake he made. 2013. he didn't get a closer.
that would have made a difference. you know it...I know it.

you do know afte M.I. junior will sell the Tigers? fast as he can.
the family will keep the Red Wings for awhile.

big win for the Lions. Stafford got it done!!

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think doug was saying he sucks, just that he hasnt done much for the pen. The one guy I think that really helped the pen that he got was zumaya in 06, besides that I cant think of anyone as impressive.

Benoit is pretty good.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? The Granderson trade? He gets a lot of credit from bringing the Tigers back from their 119 loss season but Ilitch's wallet had a lot to do with that. I'm not saying he has done poorly but lets not put him in Billy Beane territory. The team has overspent for their success, a business model that can't last. The minor league system has been raped of talent.
They need to restock their system using guys like Max and VMart but DD won't do it. Better to further mortgage the future.

How many pennants have Billy's teams won? Oh, that's right...... ZERO!!! Walt Jocketty, DD, Epstein, Cashman, these guys actually win. But for some reason being runner up in a place that lives off the earnings of everyone else gets him acclaim. Be nice if Andrew Freidman got some of that acclaim. His team has to play in an oversized basketball arena instead of an old football stadium. (I just wanted to bring up Andrew Freidman)

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys can't produce a thread that rivals the Lions/Cowboys thread from Sunday....I might not stay. :)

Never saw so many 180 degree turns ever. One minute there were 8 "Lions Sucks" posts (or Linehan, Schwartz, Stafford, Bush suck) and the next minute it was "Super Bowl bound" posts. Then back to the former and then switch again. LOL. That Lions=Sucks guy is a trip. He is worth the price of admission alone!.
:lol:

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many pennants have Billy's teams won? Oh, that's right...... ZERO!!! Walt Jocketty, DD, Epstein, Cashman, these guys actually win. But for some reason being runner up in a place that lives off the earnings of everyone else gets him acclaim. Be nice if Andrew Freidman got some of that acclaim. His team has to play in an oversized basketball arena instead of an old football stadium. (I just wanted to bring up Andrew Freidman)

You can't really be comparing to BB. All he did is change the way players are evaluated. Look at the A's Wins/Payroll $. No one else is close. If MLB let the team move to SJ, the A's would have the money to compete.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wins/payroll? His As make the playoffs in a division chalk full of franchises that have never won a World Series. Sorry that Im not impressed Josh Donaldson, Reddick and Kurt Suzuki don't make any money in comparison to others. The Rays play against clubs that actually make attempts to win. It's a nice story that Billy went with an idea since his boss won't spend money. but as we saw first hand the power of the almighty walk is easily cancelled out by the power of the almighty K. (Connie Mack ran the As the same way 90 years ago, only back in the teens, twenties and thirties I guess selling your best players and replacing them with inexpensive kids could work)

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the whole moneyball thing is a sham. In BB's tenure the A's have 1, yes that is one single playoff series series win. No I am not impressed. made a good movie I suppose (never saw it) , but the whole moneyball sucess is about getting lucky with SP in the draft with Mulder, Hudson and Zito in a big park.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the whole moneyball thing is a sham. In BB's tenure the A's have 1, yes that is one single playoff series series win. No I am not impressed. made a good movie I suppose (never saw it) , but the whole moneyball sucess is about getting lucky with SP in the draft with Mulder, Hudson and Zito in a big park.

Sham? Don't fall for the "playoffs are the only thing that matters". They have been in the postseason 6 times since 2000 to the Tigers 4. I agree with you about the Mulder, Zito, and Hudson but remember that Bean's philosophy puts an emphasis on scouting. Drafting is the cheapest way to get value. If the A's had the opportunity to have 2-3 marquee names, it would help them get over the game 5 failures they have had. As i mentioned before, it would help if MLB allowed them to move to SJ and out of Oakland.