• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2013 Thread

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wins/payroll? His As make the playoffs in a division chalk full of franchises that have never won a World Series. Sorry that Im not impressed Josh Donaldson, Reddick and Kurt Suzuki don't make any money in comparison to others. The Rays play against clubs that actually make attempts to win. It's a nice story that Billy went with an idea since his boss won't spend money. but as we saw first hand the power of the almighty walk is easily cancelled out by the power of the almighty K. (Connie Mack ran the As the same way 90 years ago, only back in the teens, twenties and thirties I guess selling your best players and replacing them with inexpensive kids could work)

His A's make the playoffs in a division with teams that 2-3 times their payroll. It would be like the Royals beating out the Tigers every year.

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry jalopy. As a native of oakland winning the division or making the playoffs to me is not aceptable. I do not care about the payroll differential. Sandy Alderson was able in the same situation to win playoff series and actually a WS title. Just not buying the BB koolaid.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry jalopy. As a native of oakland winning the division or making the playoffs to me is not aceptable. I do not care about the payroll differential. Sandy Alderson was able in the same situation to win playoff series and actually a WS title. Just not buying the BB koolaid.

Look, I'm not a huge fan of the A's. I certainly think they played not to lose against the Tigers but you can't argue with the results they get in the regular season. Would you rather be the San Diego Padres? I'm new to the (East) Bay and haven't lived through the frustrations many here have but compared to the underachieving Angels, the A's franchise is a breath of fresh air.

As far as I am concerned, getting to the playoffs and not winning is more of a managerial problem than a GM issue.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the whole moneyball thing is a sham. In BB's tenure the A's have 1, yes that is one single playoff series series win. No I am not impressed. made a good movie I suppose (never saw it) , but the whole moneyball sucess is about getting lucky with SP in the draft with Mulder, Hudson and Zito in a big park.

I will give him credit for moving starters when their value peaks. He's done time and time again. And he'll do it again soon with Parker as soon as someone comes calling with a handful of talent laden youngsters. (I finally saw it, late night on Showtime. Art Howe can't like the film. Ron Washington might though)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His A's make the playoffs in a division with teams that 2-3 times their payroll. It would be like the Royals beating out the Tigers every year.

The Royals have atleast moved one prospect for proven talent. It's not of any effort of Billy's that the Angels blow money left and right. I guess I just don't get caught up in payroll discrepancies. Probably due to Detroit having a big payroll.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander owns the As ..just saying.
speaking of Oakland how about that win over the steelers??/ I loved it!

That stadium in Oakland is tough to play in. the sun is brutal. Its hard to have a30 HR guy.
fences to far.

How can it be so hot in the day time there and freezing when the sun goes down?

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when will we hear about the new manager?
is there a dead line?

What the Tigers need is a young rookie out fielder.
like a Gibson and a steve kemp. what they got now doesn't impress me.
hated to get rid of Garcia. that kid put the bat on the ball. although he could never ever pull the ball. that was strange

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander owns the As ..just saying.
speaking of Oakland how about that win over the steelers??/ I loved it!

That stadium in Oakland is tough to play in. the sun is brutal. Its hard to have a30 HR guy.
fences to far.

How can it be so hot in the day time there and freezing when the sun goes down?

If they can't afford Free Agents, you can't expect them to be able to pay their heating/cooling bill.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ausmus is in town for an interview today I believe. Or was it yesterday?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? The Granderson trade? He gets a lot of credit from bringing the Tigers back from their 119 loss season but Ilitch's wallet had a lot to do with that. I'm not saying he has done poorly but lets not put him in Billy Beane territory. The team has overspent for their success, a business model that can't last. The minor league system has been raped of talent.
They need to restock their system using guys like Max and VMart but DD won't do it. Better to further mortgage the future.

Granderson trade was huge, as was the miggy trade. When you give up almost nothing to land a future HOF when hes still just a kid that alone should put you into consideration. Lets see drafting jv, hes no slouch, trading for fister again giving up nothing. Acquiring edwin jackson. Drafting porcello. What other impressive moves has he made?

Mistakes he has made.
The huge fielder deal. But was that him or illitch?
Signing willis, robertson, guillen, ordonez, bonderman to longer contracts. Although bonderman at the time made sense.

Trading renteria for jurrjens

Not finding a closer before this season started.

Its still too early to tell, I still think the turner for sanchez deal was a mistake but we will see how this one plays out.

What else? I know I'm missing some good/bad moves, but overall the talent he has brought in, and a ton of it has come through draft and trades, is extremely impressive. Miggy, max, JV, fister, porcello, infante, and sanchez have all came from draft or trade. This isnt the yankees. He doesnt just whip out his checkbook and sign other teams free agents. He trades for them with talent he drafted and then gets them here long term.

Last edited by a moderator:

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lots of people like Ausmus.No MLB managing experience, although outside of Llyod no one else does either. Brad has managed in the WBC and the AFL which is the same as other guys who have their experience at AA/AAA. lately the trend is for younger managers as opposed to old retread guys. We shall see. I like Ausmus because I think we need a catcher/pitching coach as a manager who will work with the guys in the pen.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way would I go outside the clubhouse for a manager without experience. Brookens is the only one I would consider without experience.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Wallach.....AAA manager and been in LA for a few years....sounds like the Dodgers wants to keep him around....there are those out there that want Mattingly gone....has a bit of history with DD....

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prefer Tim Wallach to Ausmus. Have the same feeling as jalopy about getting a manager for a veteran team that has NO managerial experience. Learning on the job how to manage a MLB team, might be a little risky for Detroit. AZ tried it before they hired Gibson. Hired a former MLB catcher (AJ Hinch) who had no managerial experience - only a front office background. He flopped, and took down the GM with him. !!!Come to think of it....I would prefer ELI Wallach over Ausmus!!!

Sorry....I'm still highly anticipating a news report that the Tigers will interview Tigers=tHeSuCkS for the manager's job. I don't think anyone will be complaining about HIS post-game comments!
:rollseyes:

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not to change from the Tigers managerial search. I did get something in my email yesterday. Discussing the Tigers local contract with FSN for 40 mil with jalopy last week, I believe . I noted that the Astros were getting 80 mil and I couldn't figure how with the ratings they get ( got a zero share on the opening sunday of the NFL season) that the local comcast houston cable company could afford this. Well it appears they can't. Comcast sportsnet houston is now in bankruptcy. I wonder how many of these other local sportsnets paying top $$ and getting low ratings can stay in business paying 60-100 mil a season?

Judge tells Astros, Rockets other networks could be answer - Sports Update

by the Astros with a payroll of 26 mil and 25 mil from national TV plus 80 from local will make around 75 mil in profit before selling a ticket this season. Plus they will get revenue sharing checks from the Dodgers and yankees. Absolutely crazy.

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well from the twitter account of Brayan pena.

I was inform that i will not be returning to The Tigers ,i want to thanks the FANS, the ORGANIZATION & my TEAMMATES for the opportunity !!!!

Apparently the Tigers will be going with Holladay or AA prospect McCann as the backup.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pena was good fit for the Tigers he can't cost much money? are the other guys ready?