• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2013 Thread

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing baseball seems to have plenty of, is backup catchers. If Detroit is looking to add defense, finding a "defense-first" catcher isn't a bad idea. I am sure there are plenty around....you just have to accept a Mendoza-line batting average. (Plus, most of them will get close to base pay)

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not to change from the Tigers managerial search. I did get something in my email yesterday. Discussing the Tigers local contract with FSN for 40 mil with jalopy last week, I believe . I noted that the Astros were getting 80 mil and I couldn't figure how with the ratings they get ( got a zero share on the opening sunday of the NFL season) that the local comcast houston cable company could afford this. Well it appears they can't. Comcast sportsnet houston is now in bankruptcy. I wonder how many of these other local sportsnets paying top $$ and getting low ratings can stay in business paying 60-100 mil a season?

Judge tells Astros, Rockets other networks could be answer - Sports Update

by the Astros with a payroll of 26 mil and 25 mil from national TV plus 80 from local will make around 75 mil in profit before selling a ticket this season. Plus they will get revenue sharing checks from the Dodgers and yankees. Absolutely crazy.

Adrian, I looked into the FSD TV contract a bit more and found out a bit more about it. Signed in '08, the contract is for approx. $50MM annually for 10 years. The Tigers send 31% ($15.5MM) of that to a revenue sharing pool. That pool totals around $400MM (unofficially) so the Tigers receive a little over $13MM. Total revenue for the team going forward is expected to be in the $250MM neighborhood. If the team can remain competitive for the next 5 years, the next FSD (or competitor) contract should add significantly to that total.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to thr future manager for a sec.... Dr. Dan Alve(spelling), former Tigers front office member, current WhiteCaps color man, said on the local that Gibby is basically a shoe in for the Tigers gig. Says Kirk was informed WAAAY back in July that Leyland was done at the end of the season, and verbally said he'd be interested. (Also said Peralta and Kelly would split time in left come playoffs, leaving Dirks on the bench several weeks before JP came back). Interesting to say the least.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bronco....what occurred may be true, but right now, it appears Gibson is staying. His #1 replacement, Matt Williams, just took the Nationals job. GM, Kevin Towers, has said Gibson is the manager for 2014....which doesn't mean much....but it does present the problem for the Tigers having to fork up something to get Gibson to Detroit.

Nevertheless....there are rumblings in AZ concerning Gibson. For one they cut out an option year on Gibby's contract (for after 2014) and there has been some grumbling about multitude of lineups he uses. Add on that the numerous Justin Upton fans decided to blame Gibson for the trade of Upton to Atl.

I could see Gibson leaving, but the D'Backs have put themselves into a good spot to make something off losing him to Detroit.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to thr future manager for a sec.... Dr. Dan Alve(spelling), former Tigers front office member, current WhiteCaps color man, said on the local that Gibby is basically a shoe in for the Tigers gig. Says Kirk was informed WAAAY back in July that Leyland was done at the end of the season, and verbally said he'd be interested. (Also said Peralta and Kelly would split time in left come playoffs, leaving Dirks on the bench several weeks before JP came back). Interesting to say the least.

No doubt that is interesting......I would love and hate Gibby as the next manager.....He's proven himself in Arizona doing more with less.....

But that would just mean someone very special to our heart would frequent this board way more then we would care for.

Chief602

Resident Wookie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gibby just lost a big pole barn to a fire in Northern Mi. Very good friend of mine is the MSP Fire Invest. I wish he would have asked him about the Tigs gig. I'll have to have him call him on the fire again and ask him!!!

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt that is interesting......I would love and hate Gibby as the next manager.....He's proven himself in Arizona doing more with less.....

But that would just mean someone very special to our heart would frequent this board way more then we would care for.

If I recall, there was a guy on this thread,from Tenn (Hooterville?) who stated his extreme dislike of Kirk Gibson, not only as a manager, but did not even consider him deserving of any Tiger stardom. I believe he often stated he was a poor manager because his team wasn't winning. Now, I am sure that this guy will do a quick 180, if Gibby does become the manager.
:noidea:

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order to get significantly more $$ the Tigers will have to form or get at least a share of the new network in the next deal. With the illitch's owning Hockey and baseball They may have to start or purchase an equity share in FSN to get the extra $$some of the other teams get.

Dodgers Could Be Last Team To Strike Gold With Local TV Deal | FanGraphs Baseball

An equity deal would mean significantly less guaranteed revenue but obviously with the potential for more. With Ilitch's age, I'm not sure that would be the ideal route to take since their doesn't seem to be continuity in the family. I would put even money on the Tigers having a new owner in five years. It will be interesting to see what the appetite is for media rights in baseball in five years. The sport has yet to see a decline in rates.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gibson can rub people the wrong way..just like ted nugent.
Gibson once brushed away a kid in a wheel chair for a autograph..he was in the seats at the time watching agame.
he can be a dick..that's for sure.

is don Zimmerman still around? that guy seem to last forever with a few teams.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pena not coming back as back up catcher. he started fast..but didn't do much with limited time later.
we need a new catcher. Pitchers loved having him behind the plate. but the guy kills us at the plate. he can hardly hit his weight. Good hitting catchers are rare these days

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think M I was behind the Fielder deal also.

still. the point. how long does a GM get? is just near misses good enough ?
changes must be made this year.
I think DD will be judge more this year.
Cant go another year with a bull pen like that. shoud have been better for 2013.
how about a left hand pitcher? spot starter at least. some one that can throw 95 mph or better???
how can a team go this many years with out a real left hand starter???????

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pena not coming back as back up catcher. he started fast..but didn't do much with limited time later.
we need a new catcher. Pitchers loved having him behind the plate. but the guy kills us at the plate. he can hardly hit his weight. Good hitting catchers are rare these days

Well i would rather have a catcher that can handle the pitching staff and play defense than a catcher that can hit.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gibson can rub people the wrong way..just like ted nugent.
Gibson once brushed away a kid in a wheel chair for a autograph..he was in the seats at the time watching agame.
he can be a dick..that's for sure.

is don Zimmerman still around? that guy seem to last forever with a few teams.

Don Zimmer is still around. Don Zimmerman? Is he related to that guy who killed Treyvan Martin????

Gibson brushed away a kid asking for an autograph? Well that will end his career! You NEVER, ever saw Billy Martin or Mickey Mantle do something like that. (duh) At least Gibby could have given the kid a ball and told him to, "Avoid the clap!" Try harder doug. Earn it.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bryan Pena hit .297 for the year doug. Are you saying he weighs over 300 lbs, and thus failed to hit his weight?
Try harder doug. Spewing leaves you wide open for a kick in the pants.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1425589_10151663628257191_938831765_n.jpg

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers are losing pena, 2E, downs, and veras so far......not bringing back veras makes me think DD has plans for BP help.

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well the offseason has begun

1) Tigers decline the option on Jose Veras. This ends up being a very bad trade for DD. two young prospects for 2 months of garbage from Veras. Although it is possible DD resigns Veras at a lower price tag.

2) Placed Downs on waivers and he was picked up by the Astro's. This means that more than likely Phil Coke returns. umm ugggggg.

3) Tuiasosopo was claimed by the D backs on waivers. no loss there.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gibson did tell the kid in a wheel chair to get out of his way. It was a story in the paper after it happened years ago. had the kid crying I think.

don't forget about Omar Infante. he is a FA. he was clutch in the reg season. BUT did you notice his post season performances??? disappointing really