• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2013 Thread

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick C in the OF is probably a done deal. The Tigers need to ink a 2B and a couple of relievers. Having Nick C around will keep payroll down.

Boras os great at making teams negotiate against themselves. Max has zero leverage this offseason so unless the Tigers blow him away with a deal I see him pitching out the contract and hoping for a big payday next off season.

MLB Team Values: The Business Of Baseball - Forbes
In 2012 the Tigers had a net operating income of - 0.4

They may have some hidden cost such as Stadium but from 2012 to 2013 I can't see much of a change. And expenses are only going up for 2014. I agree I can't see the Tigers writing a check for going over the luxury tax.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not sure you ever know what you are talking about..

On a thread full of third party conjecture it is nice to hear that you're not sure about something. I was starting to think the mountaintop finally got access to the world wide web.

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a quirk I would love to see the Tigers sign Balfour and have Victor martinez and grant balfour have lockers next to each other.

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
back to max. Not sure what teams will give for one year of max, with really no shot at resigning him long term, except after he is FA. Rays are shopping Price who is under control for another season and is not with Boras so an extension is possible. Tigers need max more than they need to trade him. With a D that had a very suspect .686 effeciency (68 % of balls in play became outs) which was 24 out of 30. They need to have a guy like max with a high strikeout #, not another ground ball guy with prince and Cabrerra at the corners.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
back to max. Not sure what teams will give for one year of max, with really no shot at resigning him long term, except after he is FA. Rays are shopping Price who is under control for another season and is not with Boras so an extension is possible. Tigers need max more than they need to trade him. With a D that had a very suspect .686 effeciency (68 % of balls in play became outs) which was 24 out of 30. They need to have a guy like max with a high strikeout #, not another ground ball guy with prince and Cabrerra at the corners.

I think the hope is that a borderline contender (Rangers, Angels) will overpay for Max. I would think an extension would be necessary to move him. If not, the Tigers get one more year of Max on the (relative) cheap and a draft pick and move on. I agree that the infield defense needs to be addressed but it just may be that it must wait another year to move Prince to DH and Miggy back to first.

If the Tigers think NickC can hit .275 and 25 HR, keep him. If not, trade him for help elsewhere (BP, speed)

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contracts for 2015...

Verlander - $28mil
Fielder - $24 mil
Cabrera - $22mil
Sanchez - $16mil

That's $90mil for 4 players. If you figure Scherzer would be getting around $20mil if resigned, then it's $110mil.....and trading Scherzer and signing Choo, would be almost as much. This would require a lot of players (on the rest of the roster) making minimum salary, or not much more.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max for Elvis Andruss!

If they keep Miggy at third then one of the two probably Inglesias plays SS and Andruss 2B. It would make up the middle defense very good and lock up 2b and SS long term.

But thats my wishful thinking in what I would let Max go for.

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max for Elvis Andruss!

If they keep Miggy at third then one of the two probably Inglesias plays SS and Andruss 2B. It would make up the middle defense very good and lock up 2b and SS long term.

you do of course realize that Elvis just signed an 8 yr 120 mil contract extension starting in 2015 thru 2022.

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers are not going to move andrus. they plan on keeping both Anrus and profar. Tigers answer at 2b is going to be devon Travis . Travis was runner up for the minor league offensive player of the year hitting 351.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max for Elvis Andruss!

With the Tigers contracts, I would rather have Jurickson Profar in the same deal.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers are not going to move andrus. they plan on keeping both Anrus and profar. Tigers answer at 2b is going to be devon Travis . Travis was runner up for the minor league offensive player of the year hitting 351.

I saw Travis play in AZ last weekend. He is a sparkplug kind of kid. Lots of energy but undersized. Better bat than glove. Would love to see the kid succeed.

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have to get production from low $$ kids like Travis and Nick in order to afford all these 20 Mil players. Similar to the production we got from Fister/jackson/Avila the past few seasons. Just how it works.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have to get production from low $$ kids like Travis and Nick in order to afford all these 20 Mil players. Similar to the production we got from Fister/jackson/Avila the past few seasons. Just how it works.

Exactly! Tigers can trade guys like Max and VMart to restock the farm. Replace them with second tier FA's (Equal $$$$'s) and still win the division handily.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had not realized the Rangers had signed him him for 8 and 120. Although he is probably worth it I just can't see Detroit adding that much of a contract without some game plan to keep under the luxury cap.

But I still think for a Cy Young pitcher Texas would be very tempted, from everything I have read they are higher on Profar than Andrus.

Outside of Nick C Detroit doesn't have a MLB ready player to step in next season. So unless they resign Infante or Peralta for 2B it comes from outside the organization.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I still think for a Cy Young pitcher Texas would be very tempted, from everything I have read they are higher on Profar than Andrus.

I can think of 120,000,000 reasons that is wrong. They married Elvis and are still flirting with Jurickson.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting article on the Cardinals and thoughts they could package a couple young pitchers for Max a Mizzou native.

IMO if St Louis wins the World Series I can't see them retooling their rotation. If they fall short then maybe, but I would be surprised as the Cardinals probably do a better job of finding pitching talent than any team in MLB.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting article on the Cardinals and thoughts they could package a couple young pitchers for Max a Mizzou native.

IMO if St Louis wins the World Series I can't see them retooling their rotation. If they fall short then maybe, but I would be surprised as the Cardinals probably do a better job of finding pitching talent than any team in MLB.

Last edited by a moderator:

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading Vmart would be the key to what else you would do. I like Jhonny at 3rd and Miggy at 1st.....Prince lose weight and DH and give Miggy a day off....

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad idea burf....but if the Tigers hire Lloyd Mac, I could see them not making any moves. Status quo all around. VMart stays, Scherzer stays and Detroit settles for a draft picks?

Here is an idea IF Illitch is not done spending major amounts of cash. Trade VMart for prospects. Sign Ellsbury or Choo (prefer Ellsbury). Castellanos back to third or sign Peralta for one year (doubt it)?

Just a thought.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt that they will hire from within.....new blood and different approach to the game.....