• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2013 Thread

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure the Illitches could afford signing Max on the short term. But in two or three years with Miggy needing a deal? ANd I am sure the only way they break even is if they make the playoffs and as this team gets older that becomes harder. With the current guys Detroit probably has a 2-3 year window.

If Nick C pans out, Inglesias hits more consistent and A Jax becomes more of an offensive force maybe longer.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max has a year left. The only way I deal him is if the offer blows the Tigers away!

I would go into the season hoping Prince rebounds well enough to get a big market team interested in him. I

t's not a Adam Dunn thing it's a 24 million dollars thing for 7 more years. The Tigers are now in a financial bind. The only way he is worth 24 million is if he hits close to what Miggy does. And the last three years show a decline in production.

In the grand scheme this is the roster I would like to see:

CF - Austin Jackson
LF - Tori Hunter
RF - Dirks/platoon FA
C - Avilia
1b - Cabrera
2b - Infante
SS - Inglesias
3B - Castellanos
DH - V Mart

That would allow the Tigers to extend Max and get a FA platoon guy to go with Dirks. The Tigers should deal Porcello for some solid relief help and move Smily to the rotation.

Yeah but in 7 more years i bet theres alot of players making 24 million a year.......every year more and more players are going to get crazy contracts....if anyone thought prince was going to put up miggy numbers was crazy,.....he never hit over 300 until he came to detroit.....how much do you think scherzer is going to get? To pitch EVERY 5 DAYS? They say pitching wins.....but look at what our starters did to boston and we lost 4-2......clutch hitting and lack of mistakes is huge.

Also i dont see anyone trading for vmart....his age and hes a FA after next year....what do you think a team would give up for that. We have one more year of miggy, prince and vmart.....move scherzer for a leadoff hitter and RP help.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd hate to see Detroit ''stick with the existing script''....but I would understand their reasoning if they did. They've made a large financial commitment and the team has been successful to a point. Like you said...window of opportunity is still open with this group, at least thru 2014 and maybe 2015.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max and nick c for alvarez, lol what? Im assuming this deal includes 30 top minor leaguers in the pirates system as well. I for one dont want alvarez, hes an adam dunn clone. Is there some proof that miggys injury is caused from him playing third? Its more likely it was caused from him playing while injured.

I thought he hurt it baserunning....yeah i dont want alvarez either....

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also i dont see anyone trading for vmart....his age and hes a FA after next year....what do you think a team would give up for that. We have one more year of miggy, prince and vmart.....move scherzer for a leadoff hitter and RP help.

Just to note...there are two FA leadoff hitters available: Choo and Ellsbury. I am not sure what Choo would get, but Ellsbury/Boras are probably looking to pass Crawford's 7 years/$140mil.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are going to trade the soon to be cy young winner and our top prospect for a guy who struck out a billion times, batted .230 had an obp under .300 hit 36 home runs and drove in 100 and then say hopefully the pirates bite. Lol of course they would, who in their right mind wouldnt for that deal.

And then he comes to detroit and plays in comerica and hits 25 HRS.....

We only have to put up with 3 so called DH's for one more year.....geez dont do nuthin dumb....we been to 3 straight ALCS.....gave away the series vs boston.....

I love how everyone wants to dump prince, but make sure and sign infante....infante sucked too.....as for fielders contract....in 3-4 more years watch how many other players worse than him are making more than him...he had a bad 11 games and people are acting like he hit 190 last year.

I believe it was you jd that didnt like the prince signing last year and wanted jamey carrol and jason bay and a bunch of other bums instead.....im sure we wouldnt had made the last 2 ALCS with the guys you wanted.

Theres 2 tradeable people on this team.....max and nick c...and maybe porcello.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawfords getting 20 mil a year and were crying about fielders contract?....also......everyone keeps crying about paying miggy.....how old will he be when hes a FA? I know hes great but would we really pay him 25 mil a year in his mid to late 30's? What if he starts breaking down more often? Prince is younger than miggy right?

And why are we so concerned with money? It isnt ours.....im glad they are spending it on the team....thats what owners should do when they draw 3 million fans.....now i see the tigers have been linked to cano again.....where would that money come from? Just remember....after next year tori and vmart will be gone....i see not many changes this year...BP help maybe. But this group gets one more shot next year.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yanks are gonna get choo......wouldnt mind choo leading off for us....id do max for choo if i knew we could resign choo

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yanks are gonna get choo......wouldnt mind choo leading off for us....id do max for choo if i knew we could resign choo

I'm not sure why you would trade anyone for Choo....he will be a free agent in a couple of weeks. Did you mean try and sign Choo and then trade Scherzer?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shinny shin shin is a FA. Boras guy, thinks he's getting a monster a deal.... Hopefully he takes a three year and is out leadoff hitter. The Indians woulda been real tough if he were still on the north side of Ohio this past season.

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
trade rumors estimates choo to get 6 years 100 million. template set by the Hunter Pence deal of 5 years 90 mil. Still cheaper than what Ellsbury will probably get .

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawfords getting 20 mil a year and were crying about fielders contract?....also......everyone keeps crying about paying miggy.....how old will he be when hes a FA? I know hes great but would we really pay him 25 mil a year in his mid to late 30's? What if he starts breaking down more often? Prince is younger than miggy right?

And why are we so concerned with money? It isnt ours.....im glad they are spending it on the team....thats what owners should do when they draw 3 million fans.....now i see the tigers have been linked to cano again.....where would that money come from? Just remember....after next year tori and vmart will be gone....i see not many changes this year...BP help maybe. But this group gets one more shot next year.

Crawford plays in LA and they have been TV deals than Detroit. Comparing LA and NY payrolls to Detroit's is misleading.

Miggy is 30
Prince is 29

Not much difference in age. Miggy's numbers are sick and if I am betting on who plays better longer I am all in on Miggy.

Yes it is Illitches money but Detroit just does not bring in enough cash to have 4 players making 90 million a year. Even with the success Detroit had they may have had to make it to the world series to make money this year. That report should be out I have not seen it yet though.

The problem isn't Prince is a bad player. He has respectable numbers but they don't add up to 27 million next year and on a team that has a glut of 1st basemen. If he could play OF it becomes less of an issue. But I would hate to see either Miggy or Prince try to play OF.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
trade rumors estimates choo to get 6 years 100 million. template set by the Hunter Pence deal of 5 years 90 mil. Still cheaper than what Ellsbury will probably get .

That sound a little high for Choo. Ellsbury's injury history scares me. I would think they are both worth about $75M for 5 years in today's market. I would rather see the team trade for younger talent than overpay more free agents.

I wonder what the Rangers would trade for Max. Beltre? Profar?

I also wonder what the royals would ask for Erwin Santana. He's in a similar situation as Max but should be cheaper.

We should get some indication of what direction the club is headed by the manager they announce.

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no one knows how long the tigers owner will over fund the team and lose money, especially with trying to build a new ice rink with the city in bankruptcy. The extra 25 mil from the new tv deal will help. If mr I spent 150 mil this season no reason to think he will not go up to 170 mil with the extra $$. They could sign Choo, but it would require going with younger players at some positions making the minimum like perez/Travis at 2b and Nick in the mix at OF/3b/DH when Tori and Vmarts deals are done.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sound a little high for Choo. Ellsbury's injury history scares me. I would think they are both worth about $75M for 5 years in today's market. I would rather see the team trade for younger talent than overpay more free agents.

I also wonder what the royals would ask for Erwin Santana. He's in a similar situation as Max but should be cheaper.

We should get some indication of what direction the club is headed by the manager they announce.

Well, TODAY's market may be inflated by new TV money. Ellsbury is going to expect to reach Crawford's numbers of 7 yrs/$142mil...around an avg of $20mil per year. Choo's poor defense will probably keep him to a $15-16mil per year contract. Teams have some extra money to spend, so I figure we will see some bizzare contracts for some mediocre players.

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Santana is a FA. made 13 mil last season.

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what everybody has to realize is with the extra 25 mil each team has to spend, the players/agents demands for FA will go up.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it is Illitches money but Detroit just does not bring in enough cash to have 4 players making 90 million a year. Even with the success Detroit had they may have had to make it to the world series to make money this year. That report should be out I have not seen it yet though.

Sure they do, they receive around $90M annually from local TV contracts and around $50M annually from MLB contracts. That is before revenue from ticket sales, jerseys, concessions, parking and other media rights. Don't buy into the Forbes reports of how MLB teams are doing. MLB teams (corporations) are broken into subsidiaries and revenue is distributed to minimize tax obligations.

Fox Sports Detroit has the highest ratings of all 30 MLB markets. I think it is sixth or seventh in total eyeballs. MLB teams are cash cows, even when discounting the rising value of the asset class in general.

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure they do, they receive around $90M annually from local TV contracts and around $50M annually from MLB contracts. That is before revenue from ticket sales, jerseys, concessions, parking and other media rights. Don't buy into the Forbes reports of how MLB teams are doing. MLB teams (corporations) are broken into subsidiaries and revenue is distributed to minimize tax obligations.

Fox Sports Detroit has the highest ratings of all 30 MLB markets. I think it is sixth or seventh in total eyeballs. MLB teams are cash cows, even when discounting the rising value of the asset class in general.
actually the tigers local tv gets them around 40 mil. Unfortunately they signed a 10 year deal and FSN is making a lot of the Tigers.The deal was signed at a time when the economy in michigan wasn't that great.