• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Desean Jackson to get Franchise tagged

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Report: Eagles plan to franchise DeSean Jackson
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 12, 2012, 9:36 PM EST

DeSean Jackson isn’t going anywhere, at least not until the Eagles can get something for him in return.

Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports the team will place the franchise tag on Jackson. They may still look to see what Jackson could attract in a trade.

The news doesn’t come as a surprise. It would only be a surprise if the team and Jackson work out a long-term deal at any point this year. It is far more likely Jackson plays under his one-year contract in Philadelphia or gets dealt to another team.

Jackson said shortly after the season he would be fine playing with the tag. If that’s the case, he would be wise to sign it quickly so the Eagles can’t rescind the tag if they fail find a trade partner.

Philadelphia has twice rescinded the franchise tag in similar situations. They did it with defensive tackle Corey Simon in 2005 and Jeremiah Trotter in 2002.

The Eagles have room to carry Jackson’s salary, which is expected to be less than $10 million. Despite all the difficulties he had last season, ultimately Jackson is too valuable to simply let him walk away.

Especially when 2012 is the ultimate “win or else” season for coach Andy Reid

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be for the best. The Eagles have to run out of cap room sooner or later. I'm not sure how they have managed to stay under the limit.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Might be for the best. The Eagles have to run out of cap room sooner or later. I'm not sure how they have managed to stay under the limit.

Yeah they've done a pretty good job with the cap. I think a very large portion of that though is they have some very good players playing on rookie contract deals. Jackson for example they were getting for about 900k.

They got other guys like Maclin(2 million cap hit last year) and Mcoy(800k cap hit) still on rookie deals I believe. Rodgers-cromartie was a cap charge of 950k last year.

Thats some really good players they have there for a very low charge. Theyre going to have to extend these guys soon though and they'll need to be careful.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah they've done a pretty good job with the cap. I think a very large portion of that though is they have some very good players playing on rookie contract deals. Jackson for example they were getting for about 900k.

They got other guys like Maclin(2 million cap hit last year) and Mcoy(800k cap hit) still on rookie deals I believe. Rodgers-cromartie was a cap charge of 950k last year.

Thats some really good players they have there for a very low charge. Theyre going to have to extend these guys soon though and they'll need to be careful.

I know that some of it is based upon a formula or hype, but when you have a team many consider to be great (in the past), rookies will sign for less, you'll develop them well if you actually are good, etc. If Vick turned out well, they'd have a team under the cap, with a quarterback to lead them (without getting injured or one-dimensional (or work too hard to make it two-dimensional)).

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't trade high picks for him. They can keep him.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I wouldn't trade any picks for him. But apparently the Eagles think he's a lot more valuable than 95% of the people here do.