• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Derek Carr possible trade opportunity

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$40 million? Meaning Alex Smith’s contract?

I think bringing in an unemployed veteran qb with starting experience is a good move. I also think not handing over the reigns to Haskins, or anyone on the roster for that matter, is also a good thing.

Like who? Give us a name you would be interested in.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm willing to bet on a scenario in which this team selects either Tua or more likely Burrow, that all talk of bringing in a veteran QB disappears.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2020 NFL free agency: Free agents by position

Here's a list of free agent qb's:

Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Teddy Bridgewater
Case Keenum
Marcus Mariota
Josh McCown
Dak Prescott
Philip Rivers
Ryan Tannehill
Jameis Winston

Of this list, I see no reason not to kick the tires on Phillip Rivers, Mariota, Tannehill, Bridgewater, or Jameis Winston.

Especially if it's timed right.

Certainly Rivers, Winston, and Tannehill will want "starter" money. If they don't get starter money, it's possible they'd sign a one year "prove it" deal. Especially if they think they only need to beat out a first year kid who didn't play all that great.

Similarly, if Simba can't beat out any of the three, then that's a problem for the Redskins anyway.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$40 million? Meaning Alex Smith’s contract?

I think bringing in an unemployed veteran qb with starting experience is a good move. I also think not handing over the reigns to Haskins, or anyone on the roster for that matter, is also a good thing.
Meaning Carr’s 20 mil in addition to CDC’s 20 plus mil

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't want Carr, and want Alex Smith to retire.

As mentioned above, assuming the timing is right, I think the redskins should talk with Bridgewater, Mariota, Rivers, Winston, or Tannehill.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't want Carr, and want Alex Smith to retire.

As mentioned above, assuming the timing is right, I think the redskins should talk with Bridgewater, Mariota, Rivers, Winston, or Tannehill.

Of these choices, only Tannehill and Bridgewater appeal to me. Tannehill will command starter money because of the waybthat he finished the regular season. Bridgewater then is the better choice because he can be signed to a contract valued between 10 and 12 million dollars. I mentioned him in a previous thread and have no reason to think that he wouldn't be an excellent backup behind Haskins.

BTW: If Smith retires the cap hit remains what it is. Don't quote me on the following but I believe that the team can recoup some monies through the insurance on him if he did so because of his injuries.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2020 NFL free agency: Free agents by position

Here's a list of free agent qb's:

Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Teddy Bridgewater
Case Keenum
Marcus Mariota
Josh McCown
Dak Prescott
Philip Rivers
Ryan Tannehill
Jameis Winston

Of this list, I see no reason not to kick the tires on Phillip Rivers, Mariota, Tannehill, Bridgewater, or Jameis Winston.

Especially if it's timed right.

Certainly Rivers, Winston, and Tannehill will want "starter" money. If they don't get starter money, it's possible they'd sign a one year "prove it" deal. Especially if they think they only need to beat out a first year kid who didn't play all that great.

Similarly, if Simba can't beat out any of the three, then that's a problem for the Redskins anyway.

Any of the three will cost at least 20 mil per season.

Let’s say all three light up the pre season against vanilla schemes, while Haskins plays decently. By your logic we should give them the job, thus destroying any chance of allowing Haskins to succeed as a Redskin.

Now let’s bring up the most likely scenario of this continuation. Any of those three yield us 5 to 6 wins. We are picking at about 10 and no real future. So why exactly would you bring in any of those three?

The wild card is Tannehill. He is the only one capable of being a future. If you go the Tannehill route, or throw in Bridgewater, trade Haskins now. Get rid of him. Take what you can in a trade because you are not giving him a shot.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of these choices, only Tannehill and Bridgewater appeal to me. Tannehill will command starter money because of the waybthat he finished the regular season. Bridgewater then is the better choice because he can be signed to a contract valued between 10 and 12 million dollars. I mentioned him in a previous thread and have no reason to think that he wouldn't be an excellent backup behind Haskins.

BTW: If Smith retires the cap hit remains what it is. Don't quote me on the following but I believe that the team can recoup some monies through the insurance on him if he did so because of his injuries.

You think you can get Bridgewater for less than 20 mil? Didn’t he go like 7-2 last season?

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There you go with the generalizations again.

You have no idea how much you could get bridgewater for. You have no idea how much any of these guys would sign for.

Let it play out and sign a guy late in free agency - after the draft, for example - for pennies on the dollar.

It isnt rocket science.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I would bet that with the roght coaching, all of those I mentioned might get more than six wins.

BTW, there’s no guarantee that Simba gets the redskins more than six wins either.

Will his fragile ego be able to handle that, I wonder?!?!
I sure hope so.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think you can get Bridgewater for less than 20 mil? Didn’t he go like 7-2 last season?

I think that it's well within a reasonable price. Last year he earned 7.25 million dollars. Giving him a near 30% (10M) to a near 100% (12M) increase in salary to be a legitimate backup should get the job done. (I admit that I've been generous in rounding the numbers up)

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that it's well within a reasonable price. Last year he earned 7.25 million dollars. Giving him a near 30% (10M) to a near 100% (12M) increase in salary to be a legitimate backup should get the job done. (I admit that I've been generous in rounding the numbers up)

I don’t see Bridgewater going anywhere as a backup. I think he will need to have a legit shot at being a starter.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do NOT waste valuable resources on Carr. Haskins is our clear starter regardless of what anyone including RR is saying. Haskins puts in the work, which he will, he is our clear #1.

I really do think he(Haskins) is going to get better too.

While I'd be very interested in seeing Brady go to the RAIDERS I think it is less likely now that they have left the Bay Area. That said Vegas isn't that far from OAK/SF so who knows? There is also talk that Mrs Brady has some business interests in Vegas.

BUT... Doesn't Carr still have a monster contract?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see Bridgewater going anywhere as a backup. I think he will need to have a legit shot at being a starter.

That's highly possible, but why not make an offer to see if there's interest and/or New Orleans is willing to match/exceed it?

Worse that could happen is a failed attempt.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

These numbers are huge ,drafting a qb late is the correct route to go

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's highly possible, but why not make an offer to see if there's interest and/or New Orleans is willing to match/exceed it?

Worse that could happen is a failed attempt.

I am all for making offers, if that is what we choose to do. Making offers never hurts.

I am not a Bridgewater guy; however, he was impressive in NO. I understand why some would want to bring him here; I am not one of them for the following...

If Bridgewater comes here, I see six wins this season if he is the starter. I don’t want six wins by a guy making 10-12 million dollars on a one or two year deal.

If Bridgewater were to beat out Haskins, Haskins would be done in Washington. It would be stating he is not the future of the franchise without giving him a fair shot to earn the job long term.

I would much rather see what we have in Haskins. Maybe he wins two games and you move on. Most likely he wins 6-8 games and we have some on both sides of the fence for Haskins...you give him another chance to solidify the organization in year 3. Maybe he takes us to the playoffs and we have people screaming he is king.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There you go with the generalizations again.

You have no idea how much you could get bridgewater for. You have no idea how much any of these guys would sign for.

Let it play out and sign a guy late in free agency - after the draft, for example - for pennies on the dollar.

It isnt rocket science.

That isn’t a generalization. That is a prognostication based on the information I have and the history of the NFL.

I agree it isn’t rocket science. I disagree with your ideas.