• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Denver comp picks :(

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 overall picks

3rd - 101 overall
5th - 179
7th - 254
7th - 255 (Mr. Irrelevant)

I expected another 3rd round pick

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the NFL really ripped the Broncos off this year. Looks like they counted Okung as the 5-year deal instead of just the 1-year deal

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They counted the Okung deal as a 5 year deal is the only explanation. The good news is these picks can be traded this year, and the Broncos have a wealth of draft capital so this isn't the end of the world. It's a bit frustrating though. Oz's performance in Houston this year certainly didn't help either.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes - the Broncos got screwed.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cdumlerhas been involved in the conversation regarding the comp picks over on theSeahawks board, so I thought that I would bring blstoker's interestingpost over here:

"Ok, like everyone else, I don't know the formula for compensatory picks, but I'll take a crack at what it happening here.

1) If counting his incentive money from 2016 (which I don't know why they wouldn't), even if he's released, Okung made $8 million with the Broncos last year while playing over 1000 snaps. If a one year deal is the same apy as a multi year deal - then those numbers would solidly put his compensation in the 3rd round.

2) from overthecap on May 10, 2016:

Russell Okung and Kelvin Beachum (click their names for contract details) signed unique deals with Denver and Jacksonville that start off as a one year contract with a team option for four more years at much higher rates. It is my belief that the compensatory formula will consider only that first year of the contract, based upon Brandon Browner giving Seattle only a 6th round pick in 2015 instead of a 5th due to his contract also containing a team option after Year 1. If I’m wrong about that, or if the rules have changed, the following changes would occur:

• Denver would get a 7th for Vernon Davis instead of a 3rd for Brock Osweiler.
  • Seattle would get a 3rd for Okung instead of a 4th for JR Sweezy.
  • Pittsburgh would get a 3rd or 4th for Beachum instead of a 5th for him.
What I've noticed when looking at the list of compensatory picks is that all three of these situations have come true. It does appear that Denver is being compensated for Davis and not Osweiler, Seattle for Okung and not Sweezy and Pittsburgh is getting a 3rd for Beachum. If this truly is the case (the rules appearing to have changed) - then Beachum being released in mid-February didn't affect Pittsburgh getting a 3rd rounder for him - so I just can't imagine that releasing Okung will change where Seattle is getting their pick for Okung."

Based on cdumler's query, I just assumed that the comp picks had been decided before Okung's official release and would therefore be adjusted accordingly later. But after reading the information above, I am not so sure that this is the case.

Any feedback from you guys on this?

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wanted to move up in RD 1. Now I want to move down with one less 3rd.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okung's positon and snaps played must have cancelled out Malik who didn't do that much in Jax

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cdumlerhas been involved in the conversation regarding the comp picks over on theSeahawks board, so I thought that I would bring blstoker's interestingpost over here:

"Ok, like everyone else, I don't know the formula for compensatory picks, but I'll take a crack at what it happening here.

1) If counting his incentive money from 2016 (which I don't know why they wouldn't), even if he's released, Okung made $8 million with the Broncos last year while playing over 1000 snaps. If a one year deal is the same apy as a multi year deal - then those numbers would solidly put his compensation in the 3rd round.

2) from overthecap on May 10, 2016:

Russell Okung and Kelvin Beachum (click their names for contract details) signed unique deals with Denver and Jacksonville that start off as a one year contract with a team option for four more years at much higher rates. It is my belief that the compensatory formula will consider only that first year of the contract, based upon Brandon Browner giving Seattle only a 6th round pick in 2015 instead of a 5th due to his contract also containing a team option after Year 1. If I’m wrong about that, or if the rules have changed, the following changes would occur:

• Denver would get a 7th for Vernon Davis instead of a 3rd for Brock Osweiler.
  • Seattle would get a 3rd for Okung instead of a 4th for JR Sweezy.
  • Pittsburgh would get a 3rd or 4th for Beachum instead of a 5th for him.
What I've noticed when looking at the list of compensatory picks is that all three of these situations have come true. It does appear that Denver is being compensated for Davis and not Osweiler, Seattle for Okung and not Sweezy and Pittsburgh is getting a 3rd for Beachum. If this truly is the case (the rules appearing to have changed) - then Beachum being released in mid-February didn't affect Pittsburgh getting a 3rd rounder for him - so I just can't imagine that releasing Okung will change where Seattle is getting their pick for Okung."

Based on cdumler's query, I just assumed that the comp picks had been decided before Okung's official release and would therefore be adjusted accordingly later. But after reading the information above, I am not so sure that this is the case.

Any feedback from you guys on this?

Few things...

1) Even with his bonuses kicked in it would not have equaled a 3rd round comp pick. $8 million was actually the cut off for the 4th round. Which would then take out Trevathan not Osweiler or Malik's contract. So if anything if we are just going off the $8 million counting then the Broncos should have gotten 2 3rd round picks and 2 7th round picks.

2) The way I understand it having read some things and heard some things about what the team is internally saying it sounds like the NFL changed up the formula this year but did not inform teams they were doing this. That is why the Broncos and Jaguars designed the Contracts like they did fully expecting that the original part of the 1st year deal at its original cost would be the only thing that counted. I can promise you the Broncos are internally ticked off that the NFL did this without informing teams they were doing this. They would never have made the offer they did to Okung if they knew the deal would turn out like this.

I do agree most likely nothing gets changed and Seahawks fans should be counting their lucky stars the NFL has shown them a lot of kindness when it comes to the draft this offseason. This could have turned out very different for them of not having this extra 3rd and having lost maybe even their 2nd round pick.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few things...

1) Even with his bonuses kicked in it would not have equaled a 3rd round comp pick. $8 million was actually the cut off for the 4th round. Which would then take out Trevathan not Osweiler or Malik's contract. So if anything if we are just going off the $8 million counting then the Broncos should have gotten 2 3rd round picks and 2 7th round picks.

2) The way I understand it having read some things and heard some things about what the team is internally saying it sounds like the NFL changed up the formula this year but did not inform teams they were doing this. That is why the Broncos and Jaguars designed the Contracts like they did fully expecting that the original part of the 1st year deal at its original cost would be the only thing that counted. I can promise you the Broncos are internally ticked off that the NFL did this without informing teams they were doing this. They would never have made the offer they did to Okung if they knew the deal would turn out like this.

I do agree most likely nothing gets changed and Seahawks fans should be counting their lucky stars the NFL has shown them a lot of kindness when it comes to the draft this offseason. This could have turned out very different for them of not having this extra 3rd and having lost maybe even their 2nd round pick.

Hmmmm....interesting.

It seems that the NFL should be more open regarding the comp picks evaluations. I can see no reason to leave teams in the dark on this issue. If I were the Jags or Broncs, I would certainly be po'd about this right now.

Is it possible that their new formula is now more performance based than contract based? That might explain the difference as while Okung was servicable, Brock and Malik kinda both sucked fro a performance stand point this year.

On the last point, yes, the comp pick situation is an unexpected bonus for the Seahawks. But don't even bring "lucky" into the equation regarding the injury report stuff. Losing a 2nd for that would have been totally ridiculous. I could see a 6th or a 7th as a reasonable compromise if they had to bring punishment but a 2nd is totally f'n b.s.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm....interesting.

It seems that the NFL should be more open regarding the comp picks evaluations. I can see no reason to leave teams in the dark on this issue. If I were the Jags or Broncs, I would certainly be po'd about this right now.

Is it possible that their new formula is now more performance based than contract based? That might explain the difference as while Okung was servicable, Brock and Malik kinda both sucked fro a performance stand point this year.

On the last point, yes, the comp pick situation is an unexpected bonus for the Seahawks. But don't even bring "lucky" into the equation regarding the injury report stuff. Losing a 2nd for that would have been totally ridiculous. I could see a 6th or a 7th as a reasonable compromise if they had to bring punishment but a 2nd is totally f'n b.s.

I think this is a big part of it. Oz was probably the single biggest FA signing of the off season last year given his position and size of his contract. For him to go out and post numbers that were eclipsed by Trevor Siemian here in Denver was a huge letdown given the expectations. I think that may have something to do with the formula.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the NFL based their new formula on Performance based results, well then that's bullshit. We didn't lose Brock and Malik because of their performances, we lost them because of the asinine contracts they got, and we should be compensated accordingly

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really care one way or another. Get a comp pick don;t get a comp pick. What concerns me is Elway's wasting of 2nd round draft picks.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of this frustration could be mitigated if the league would just explain their formula instead of keep it under lock and key. Smart people can look at the historic awarding of these picks and sort of discern the rationale but every now and then the league will throw a head scratcher out there. It would be good business for them to just put their methodology out there for everyone to see.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm....interesting.

In the past performance while it has mattered hasn't been a huge part of the equation. Contract has always trumped everything else out there. So yeah if they changed up things maybe that factors in but it looks more like it was about Okung canceling out Osweiler than anything else. The rest of the picks pretty much lined up with where people thought they would go contract wise so I don't think that part switched.

Why I say "lucky" is that with the NFL they have shown a pattern of just having no clue what to expect from them. This whole Comp pick situation is just another example. We have seen in the past where they go crazy punishing teams for violations and other times they have gone easy on teams. So yes I consider it "lucky" that the Seahawks seem to have caught the NFL office on a good day when they made their decision.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I love the draft and as much as I want 100 picks, and as much as I think we got screwed. I am not going to whine about it because I see these as extra bonus picks that we never had in the first place.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I love the draft and as much as I want 100 picks, and as much as I think we got screwed. I am not going to whine about it because I see these as extra bonus picks that we never had in the first place.
whine with my DC. WHINE!