• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trading 1st round picks

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok a little early for draft talk, but came across this:

The 49ers, Seahawks, and Rams are all without 1st round picks. The Seahawks pick is currently #7 overall, salt in the wounds. I didn't like either the Rams or Seahawk trades because they weren't for QB's. I iinitially didn't like the 49ers trade either, but at least it was for a QB.

After watching JG this season, more so we can see our mega-trade had logic to it. We still need to see how Lance pans out but we know for sure we wouldn't win the SB with JG. Thats too bad since JG knows our scheme, has solid support from the players, and has "been there done that".

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we have our greatest needs on the D side of the ball. Gotta throw more than late day draft picks at it

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing that stings about our Trade so far is that it's very likely at least 1 of the top 5 QB's in the Draft would have fallen to us without trading. Could that have been Trey Lance? Does Fields still fall without us taking Lance at 3? How far would have Jones dropped? There really is no way to know exactly how things would have played out had we not made the trade, but it seems likely at least one of Lance, Fields, or Jones would have available.

but if we stayed at 12 and the Falcons took Lance at 4 maybe a QB doesn't fall to 12. Maybe with teams knowing or thinking we wanted Jones they trade up ahead of us to grab Fields and Jones. If that happened we'd still be without a future QB on the roster.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok a little early for draft talk, but came across this:

The 49ers, Seahawks, and Rams are all without 1st round picks. The Seahawks pick is currently #7 overall, salt in the wounds. I didn't like either the Rams or Seahawk trades because they weren't for QB's. I iinitially didn't like the 49ers trade either, but at least it was for a QB.

After watching JG this season, more so we can see our mega-trade had logic to it. We still need to see how Lance pans out but we know for sure we wouldn't win the SB with JG. Thats too bad since JG knows our scheme, has solid support from the players, and has "been there done that".
We gave up way too much for a division 2 QB who is as raw as they come. It was a huge gamble; one that will be hard to overcome. The 49ers roster is in a "win now" situation and yet they give up two more years of #1 picks. It didn't make sense to me and that is why they should have waited and got Jones and given up no first-round picks.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The only thing that stings about our Trade so far is that it's very likely at least 1 of the top 5 QB's in the Draft would have fallen to us without trading. Could that have been Trey Lance? Does Fields still fall without us taking Lance at 3? How far would have Jones dropped? There really is no way to know exactly how things would have played out had we not made the trade, but it seems likely at least one of Lance, Fields, or Jones would have available.

but if we stayed at 12 and the Falcons took Lance at 4 maybe a QB doesn't fall to 12. Maybe with teams knowing or thinking we wanted Jones they trade up ahead of us to grab Fields and Jones. If that happened we'd still be without a future QB on the roster.
Yep, it appeared that none of these QB's would be available at 12th. We also had to consider other teams trading higher than 12th. So its not a gimmie to say we'd have Mac Jones at 12th.

In the big picture, the logic made sense and it now falls to how Lance does? If Lance pans out REALLY good, the draft capital won't be considered steep.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We gave up way too much for a division 2 QB who is as raw as they come. It was a huge gamble; one that will be hard to overcome. The 49ers roster is in a "win now" situation and yet they give up two more years of #1 picks. It didn't make sense to me and that is why they should have waited and got Jones and given up no first-round picks.
No givin that Jones fall to 12th without our mega-trade.

I agree that was a LOT to trade away said so right when they announced it. But again, if you look at the big picture - the logic is there.

Yes, the team was built to win now and hence JG is still on the team. Unfortunately, JG didn't have the season we all envisioned. JG did ok but he should've been more consistent this season, better than his 2019 season.