• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Darnell Dockett signs with 49ers

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 years $7.5 mill $2 guaranteed and $4 mill for the first year.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the deal for us. I'm guessing Justin is gonna stay retired and our starting D-Line will be Tank, Dorsey, Dockett with Ian, Dial, TJE and maybe Okoye with whoever we get in the draft.

GoreRush

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the deal for us. I'm guessing Justin is gonna stay retired and our starting D-Line will be Tank, Dorsey, Dockett with Ian, Dial, TJE and maybe Okoye with whoever we get in the draft.

Niners d-line is gonna be a huge problem for opponents this season. I'm excited.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All the rumors are that Smith is returning next season

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My first reaction is...........how does this reflect on our current young linemen? If Carradine, Dial, and TJE were REALLY up and coming, would we NEED to sign Dockett?

now if they know Justin is leaning to retirement, then this makes sense. But wouldn't you wait till AFTER he retires? Or are we looking at Dockett just taking McDonald's spot?

How many linemen do we have now.....Justin, Dorsey, Ian, Dial, Carradine, TJE. Dockett. Did we keep seven on the 53 last season? There were injuries thru the season (Dorsey at least), so can't assume we kept everyone on the 53?

Purcell will remain on the PS assuming he's eligible. I never gave Okoye much chance at making the 53, nothing against him but he's just too far back.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I don't know if it means the young guys aren't up and coming so much as it adds more depth to the position where injuries could ravage the team like other positions last year and probably better to get a known than an unknown in a rookie to rely on. Adding him will open up early draft picks for either WR, CB or O-Line. At the end of the day this was a good signing.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
s
Well I don't know if it means the young guys aren't up and coming so much as it adds more depth to the position where injuries could ravage the team like other positions last year and probably better to get a known than an unknown in a rookie to rely on. Adding him will open up early draft picks for either WR, CB or O-Line. At the end of the day this was a good signing.

I'm certainly for quality depth, but you can only keep so many D-line players for D-line depth.

If Justin returns (I believe he will) then wouldn't someone have to go? Cause at $2M guaranteed, Dockett is more than a tryout. This leads to next season, how effective is a 35 year old Dockett? Aren't we deciding a 35 year old Dockett is better than TJE or Dial will be next season?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
s

I'm certainly for quality depth, but you can only keep so many D-line players for D-line depth.

If Justin returns (I believe he will) then wouldn't someone have to go? Cause at $2M guaranteed, Dockett is more than a tryout. This leads to next season, how effective is a 35 year old Dockett? Aren't we deciding a 35 year old Dockett is better than TJE or Dial will be next season?

Well Dial might not ever turn into much and as a 5th round pick it wouldn't be shocking and TJE may only be a back up that spells starters or starts a few games if someone is hurt.

Last edited:

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This signing leads me to believe that J.Smith has already told the FO that he is retiring.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well Dial might not ever turn into much and as a 5th round pick it wouldn't be shocking and TJE may only be a back up that spells starters or starts a few games if someone is hurt.

and that's why it was my initial thoughts........if so, too bad and our "depth" isn't as good as we thought.....MAY have thought.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and that's why it was my initial thoughts........if so, too bad and our "depth" isn't as good as we thought.....MAY have thought.

Some players are just better as backups and to me Dial and TJE are solid backup players. Kinda like Skuta and Wilhoite. I wouldnt want them to be our starting LBs but they are solid backup role players who can come in and give guys a rest.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some players are just better as backups and to me Dial and TJE are solid backup players. Kinda like Skuta and Wilhoite. I wouldnt want them to be our starting LBs but they are solid backup role players who can come in and give guys a rest.

I think if you dont compare wilhoite to our starters, he could be viewed as a starter on other teams. A team like Green bay comes to mind, who parted ways with a declining Hawk.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if you dont compare wilhoite to our starters, he could be viewed as a starter on other teams. A team like Green bay comes to mind, who parted ways with a declining Hawk.

I agree Wilhoite can be a start on other NFL teams. 49ers are just so stacked at that position he is a backup at best. He could go to a lot of teams and be a good player on that team.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 years $7.5 mill $2 guaranteed and $4 mill for the first year.

Good signing. It'll certainly make Boone and Staley happy. I know Staley said he hated playing against Dockett.

BamaCards1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just more reasons why I hate the 9ers now! Good signing though. He's going to be a beast this season, bank on it.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall nice pick up. 1st off we get him off Arizona, 2nd he knows the division, 3rd he adds Depth, 4th he gives us insurance if Smith Retires.

Overall Like this pick up. Tomsula shows he can get players to come. Most in the league like him. Lets hope he can lead and be a HC.