• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Danny Hurley welcome to the Lakers !

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we talking Holtman? If so, his replacement was able to win with the same guys after he left.

It's not that I didn't like Holtman and he did look like a decent coach earlier in career here, but just wasn't getting it done. Don';t recall where he went but I wish him luck there.

He was good in the big East

Good teams

Made the second weekend of the tourney

He didn’t forget how to coach

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't....but oh, the irony of that comment. I also knew you couldn't do what you told Q you would, but I'll help you out in this thread as I do have self control. You can go ahead and get the last word when it comes to this topic.

No, I’m done arguing with you about PJ and Brown and everything that came out of that. That is what I said I would do.

But you going to call my integrity into question and expect me to ignore it and just leave it there?

I do try to avoid profanity on this site as much as possible.

But fuck you dude. You are a piece of shit.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was good in the big East

Good teams

Made the second weekend of the tourney

He didn’t forget how to coach
Likely not....but no debating the team was not progressing with him and played far better this season after he left. I get why he was let go.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are fighting over nonsense instead of the important things

1) hurley turned down both kentucky and the lakers in the same offseason

And

2) the university of Connecticut won back to back national championships in April 2023 and 2024
3. Nobody wants the Lakers job.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Phillip gets anywhere without having the best of the best at his disposal. Hell, there were times he had such guys and didn't even make the playoffs.

Yeah, we know. No one is disputing that. It takes great players to win titles.

Not sure why you want to argue against something no one has said.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
couple things that need to be taken in consideration, though, is Westbrook wouldn't share the ball as a PG and he's not nearly as good as MJ or Kobe which does factor into this.

Him not being as good doesn't factor in. The discussion isn't about who's more talented or better, it's about the issue of not wanting to share the ball.

Westbrook doesn't have to be as good to have the same issue and for that issue to have a similar effect on his teams/career.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll allow said addition

Those are the only things on topic
All I’ve been able to figure out is that Phil Jackson is the GOAT because he’s better than Doug Collins and Dell Harris and he’s a vibes guy who let his assistants handle all the actual basketball shit.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be right....but like PJ taking over for Collins (with MJ and the other studs still kind of young) same is true in his last full season with Shaq and Kobe who were only 25 and 19 (heck, Fisher was only 23). In their title season with Phil they were 27, 21 and 25.

In between collins and Phil they took a step back with Rambis, too.

Yeah, and I've said in the past that maybe they win a title or 2.

On the other hand, at the time he was fired, they were 6-6 after having been swept in the conference finals.

In Phils first season, they won the title and went on to 3-peat.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK...but he did pass (had a number of assists). Issue might be he's just not nearly as talented as Kobe and MJ.

Perhaps go back and read the thread, that has already been addressed.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Him not being as good doesn't factor in. The discussion isn't about who's more talented or better, it's about the issue of not wanting to share the ball.

Westbrook doesn't have to be as good to have the same issue and for that issue to have a similar effect on his teams/career.
Overall THIS part of the discussion is about the coaching ability of Philip and Brown (among others) so, yes, IMO, their ability/skill matters.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, we know. No one is disputing that. It takes great players to win titles.

Not sure why you want to argue against something no one has said.
I am pushing back on your offering too much credit IMO for his psychological skills as opposed to his actual coaching.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The discussion here (not the overall topic of thread) is a comparison of PJ, Brown and others as coaches.

Even if a coach can get Westbrook to be a model team player guess what.....He's still not someone you'd want over MJ even if MJ would not play well with his teammates.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and I've said in the past that maybe they win a title or 2.

On the other hand, at the time he was fired, they were 6-6 after having been swept in the conference finals.

In Phils first season, they won the title and went on to 3-peat.
Not sure how much the 6-6 matters as I'm sure we've seen a number of elite teams get off to slow starts.....but as mentioned in that first season he has 27, 21 and 25 year old Shaq, Kobe and Fisher (as opposed to 25, 19 and 23 in his last full season).

But I can agree Phil is a better HC than Harris and Rambis.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps go back and read the thread, that has already been addressed.
I've been a part of the thread and read it all. Even said I get what you are saying.....but my opinion is this is overblown due to the simply fact MJ is just so much better than Westbrook. You think, what, if only he is coached by Phillip Westbrook can be close to the best player in the league or the best ever?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BS.

I sent you a video. I don’t know how to edit. You gave up because you knew you couldn’t beat my score.

The whole point is that x and o guys are a dime a dozen.

And you would know that if you had an ounce of experience.

Yeah, I think people don't always understand that that there are different meanings for X's and O's.

There are basic X's and O's which is "on this play...player 1 goes here and sets a pick for player 2 who then does this, etc. That part is easy. It's just showing players what they do on a specific play. Pretty much any coach can do that.

Much tougher is in game X's and O's like making adjustments at halftime or drawing up a play during a timeout.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think people don't always understand that that there are different meanings for X's and O's.

There are basic X's and O's which is "on this play...player 1 goes here and sets a pick for player 2 who then does this, etc. That part is easy. It's just showing players what they do on a specific play. Pretty much any coach can do that.

Much tougher is in game X's and O's like making adjustments at halftime or drawing up a play during a timeout.
OK...but he implied all Xs and Os is easy. are you saying Phillip can handle the easy Xs and Os but needs his assistants for the tough ones?

Oh...sorry Q. And Uconn/Hurley are great.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how much the 6-6 matters as I'm sure we've seen a number of elite teams get off to slow starts.....but as mentioned in that first season he has 27, 21 and 25 year old Shaq, Kobe and Fisher (as opposed to 25, 19 and 23 in his last full season).

But I can agree Phil is a better HC than Harris and Rambis.

It mattered enough to get him fired.

There was already doubt around him because of getting swept in the WCF the previous season. He couldn't afford that 6-6 start.

I don't think he had to win that series to not be on the hotseat going into the next season...but he couldn't get swept. If that's a 6 or 7 game series, he probably goes into the following season with a longer leash and may have survived the slow start.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall THIS part of the discussion is about the coaching ability of Philip and Brown (among others) so, yes, IMO, their ability/skill matters.

No, it doesn't. It's about having a coach get through to the player and convince them to involve their teammates. Ability/skill doesn't matter. Changing/altering the mindset is what matters.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK...but he implied all Xs and Os is easy. are you saying Phillip can handle the easy Xs and Os but needs his assistants for the tough ones?

Oh...sorry Q. And Uconn/Hurley are great.

Great save