• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dak Prescott

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak will get 25+ no matter what.
If he didnt he should fire his agent.
Any true Starting QB in a multi year deal will get that. Whether or not he is worth it wont matter. That will be the going rate for a starting QB in the NFL.
If we wait & he does well in his final year. That will only push up his worth between agent & team. Then dont be surprised if it is over 30.

No true starter will sign for 22 mil. right now.

For the record I think all new QB contracts are overpriced, So while people that will say we paid to much for Dak will be technically correct. We would have overpaid for whoever we signed. (Not on a Rookie contract)
That is the way of QBs (pretty much most contracts now) in the NFL now.
You and J are right about the economics of the position. I hope Dak wants to win a SB so badly that he takes a deal that makes him insanely rich while leaving himself in the best position to win. If the asking price is $30 million per, I would draft a QB, let him play out his rookie deal, tag him and trade him. We would win more games in the long run without a $30 million QB is $10 million a year overpaid. That's an extra $100 million over the course of a decade than his play warrants. No thanks

Side note...there is not another team in the NFL that would pay him $30 million per as a free agent. None. The Cowboys have the best young roster in the NFL. Where else is Dak going to go, get $30, and have the team gut the roster, and expect to win?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak Prescott expects to be paid "what's deserved" on his next deal.

Prescott's $725,848 salary last season ranked 55th among quarterbacks. Heading into the final year of his rookie deal, Dak is looking for a big payday on his next contract and isn't interested in taking a home-town discount like Tom Brady. "I am here where I am today because of the people always saying what I couldn’t or could do," said the former Rookie of the Year. "But I just keep going out there and just doing what I know I can do best." After guiding Dallas to playoff appearances in two of his first three seasons, Prescott could be in line for an extension this offseason.

for those of you thinking he isnt gonna be in the 30 mil range.
Dont sound good.
Trade him.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak not worth 30 million per. He deserves and will get paid, but 30 million per will not be good for our ability to keep a playoff roster. As we know starting QBs will get paid and what we as fans want we dont get
Dak isn't worth even half of that.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way is he worth 30 mill a year. He is in the same boat as Tank make him earn it I let him show what he is worth then sign him or let him go.
Agreed.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and J are right about the economics of the position. I hope Dak wants to win a SB so badly that he takes a deal that makes him insanely rich while leaving himself in the best position to win. If the asking price is $30 million per, I would draft a QB, let him play out his rookie deal, tag him and trade him. We would win more games in the long run without a $30 million QB is $10 million a year overpaid. That's an extra $100 million over the course of a decade than his play warrants. No thanks
While I agree with your concept.
Reality just doesnt support that route.
Brady might be the only QB I can think of that took less to keep good people around him.
As far as drafting another. That is a lottery. Top college QBs fail all the time in the NFL. So now you're risking the unknown vs. what you know. Hell the year we picked up Romo as an UDFA. QBs went 1 & 2 that year.
None of the drafted QBs that year amounted to much.
Most likely Scenario. We will be at the mercy of his agent & Jerry wont let him leave.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with your concept.
Reality just doesnt support that route.
Brady might be the only QB I can think of that took less to keep good people around him.
As far as drafting another. That is a lottery. Top college QBs fail all the time in the NFL. So now you're risking the unknown vs. what you know. Hell the year we picked up Romo as an UDFA. QBs went 1 & 2 that year.
None of the drafted QBs that year amounted to much.
Most likely Scenario. We will be at the mercy of his agent & Jerry wont let him leave.
IDK about that...if you took a QB in round 1 next season and put him on what would be a fully loaded and young Cowboys roster, and say you spent $10-12 million on a vet backup...you would still be at or less than $20 million for the total position. The QB's selected in the first round last season were Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen and Jackson. 5 pretty good ones. The previous season? Trubisky, Mahomes and Deshaun Watson. The previous year...Goff, Wentz and Lynch(and a solid guy in Dak in round 4). Year before that..Winston and Mariota. I could make the argument that of the 11 1st rounders taken the last 4 years, the Cowboys would be able to win with 10 of them..that's over 90%. And you'd have another QB on a rookie deal for 5 years, albeit a 1st round deal, it's still nowhere close to $30 million.
All this is a lot of talk for nothing, Dallas will pay him and I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry gives him $30 million. I'm just saying they don't have to

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Side note...there is not another team in the NFL that would pay him $30 million per as a free agent. None. The Cowboys have the best young roster in the NFL. Where else is Dak going to go, get $30, and have the team gut the roster, and expect to win?
I keep telling myself he'll sign for 25M. I think that would be fair to both him and the team.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep telling myself he'll sign for 25M. I think that would be fair to both him and the team.
It really is a balancing act. Dak eats up too much cap room and he wont have enough help to get the team to the superbowl. This really is the offseason to spend money on a guy like earl Thomas. This is a young team,but there is now a shorter window because of the salary cap. The time to try and win is now. This defense needs an upgrade at safety and a run stuffer on the DL if we are going to have a championship defense

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this cant be true.
He cant even throw it 9 yards.
And to be clear they stated this is over 20 yards in the air, so a guy catching a slant and breaking isn't included

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Dak is not elite yet I would take him over Romo when it comes to big moments. I care more about winning then padding stats. If this team avoids injuries this spells trouble for the rest of the NFL. This roster Is loaded with good young players.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Dak is not elite yet I would take him over Romo when it comes to big moments. I care more about winning then padding stats. If this team avoids injuries this spells trouble for the rest of the NFL. This roster Is loaded with good young players.
Well I would take Romo all day every day over Dak. Not bashing Dak because I think he is doing fine.
This is where I would point out a list of things, but I dont want to get in a debate about it.
I respect your opinion. Mine is just different. :thumb:

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm happy with Dak but a young HEALTHY Romo is better IMO.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me...Darren Woodson is one of the most respected Cowboys ever. I think as an NFL analyst he's spot on most all the time. Yesterday Woody was on a local radio show talking about Dak. He mentioned that he has an office at the Star and watches all the workouts. Woody said he was around many great leaders in his playing days, but he's never seen a better leader of a football team than Dak. He said he was 100% sure Dak will win a championship here in Dallas.

Now I read this thread about fans questing the amount of money Dak should make and talking about all the talent around him as if the cowboy QB could be just about anyone. What a joke this seems to me. This shows no regard to leadership skills (something Romo only figured out his last couple of seasons) nor the decisions made with the football, mush less not beating yourself with mistake after mistake but throwing for 325 plus yards as if that's the metric for good QB play.

Put me with Woody with regards to Dak Prescott....It's about leadership playing QB in the NFL and he's second to none. Every player on this team loves Prescott and believe he's got what it takes to win a championship. Championships count!!
I give a rats ass if he's paid 28M, 30M or even 35M. It's about winning and I think far to many Cowboy fans have lost sight of that and just regurgitate what they hear from the media heads who most likely never snapped a helmet on past the Jr. High level, if that.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me...Darren Woodson is one of the most respected Cowboys ever. I think as an NFL analyst he's spot on most all the time. Yesterday Woody was on a local radio show talking about Dak. He mentioned that he has an office at the Star and watches all the workouts. Woody said he was around many great leaders in his playing days, but he's never seen a better leader of a football team than Dak. He said he was 100% sure Dak will win a championship here in Dallas.

Now I read this thread about fans questing the amount of money Dak should make and talking about all the talent around him as if the cowboy QB could be just about anyone. What a joke this seems to me. This shows no regard to leadership skills (something Romo only figured out his last couple of seasons) nor the decisions made with the football, mush less not beating yourself with mistake after mistake but throwing for 325 plus yards as if that's the metric for good QB play.

Put me with Woody with regards to Dak Prescott....It's about leadership playing QB in the NFL and he's second to none. Every player on this team loves Prescott and believe he's got what it takes to win a championship. Championships count!!
I give a rats ass if he's paid 28M, 30M or even 35M. It's about winning and I think far to many Cowboy fans have lost sight of that and just regurgitate what they hear from the media heads who most likely never snapped a helmet on past the Jr. High level, if that.
I think if you are gonna pay a player $30-35 million a year...take Dak out of it, I'm talking about any QB...I don't think any player is worth that amount of money and I don't think a team will ever be better by giving 15-20% of their salary cap to one player. Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson are great QB's, but their teams have become average at best since they began getting paid that way, Atlanta made a SB a couple of years back, now they are back in the gutter. The Patriots remain dominant, and their QB plays for half what those guys make. You're talking about $300-350 million in cap space over the next ten years, which is nearly the entire salary cap for two seasons for an entire 53 man roster...for one guy.
I think Dak is a good QB that will be a great QB in time. I think we will be a good team with him under center. But if he took, say, $25 million a year over the next ten years(that's still a quarter of a billion dollars before endorsement money), that would free up another $50-100 million in cap space over the next ten years. $100 million in cap space is a whole lot of good players and a lot better overall team IMO
:2cents:

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if you are gonna pay a player $30-35 million a year...take Dak out of it, I'm talking about any QB...I don't think any player is worth that amount of money and I don't think a team will ever be better by giving 15-20% of their salary cap to one player. Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson are great QB's, but their teams have become average at best since they began getting paid that way, Atlanta made a SB a couple of years back, now they are back in the gutter. The Patriots remain dominant, and their QB plays for half what those guys make. You're talking about $300-350 million in cap space over the next ten years, which is nearly the entire salary cap for two seasons for an entire 53 man roster...for one guy.
I think Dak is a good QB that will be a great QB in time. I think we will be a good team with him under center. But if he took, say, $25 million a year over the next ten years(that's still a quarter of a billion dollars before endorsement money), that would free up another $50-100 million in cap space over the next ten years. $100 million in cap space is a whole lot of good players and a lot better overall team IMO
:2cents:
I'll agree no QB is worth QB money, but it's the going rate.

And please don't use Brady's salary as a measurment stick, as no other QBs have wife's worth 400 MILLION.