• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dak Prescott

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 years 110 to 115M
I think that's the Cowboys offer. Hopefully Dak accepts. If not, draft a QB in round 2-3 and/or sign a vet FA QB and let Dak play out his rookie deal and see what happens next year. The club doesn't have to franchise him...transition would work as well and work in their favor. Current cost of QB transition tag is $25 million.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because the vikings gave cousins 28 million does not mean we have to give dak that much. Dak has a lot going for him. He almost brought the cowboys back against Rams and packers in the playoffs and probably would have done so if the defense was not terrible in those games. Dak to me is worth 23 to 25. Dak is durable and is a winner. So moving forward we need get a big run stuffing DT and sign Earl Thomas. Address the OL and possibly TE? this team IMO is getting close to contending. Status quo on using Heath and not addressing DT will result in this team not advancing. I like Marinelli, but his infatuation with small defensive tackles is a big reason the cowboys got mauled by the Colts and Rams. That and Heath is not starting material.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-4 or 4-3 defense you still need the same players on the line run stuffers in the middle that can get up field on occasion and a end that can get to the QB. Both systems work but finds a big man for the middle should be easy but for some reason we never invest in the position and regret it later
SMH

JMHO

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-4 or 4-3 defense you still need the same players on the line run stuffers in the middle that can get up field on occasion and a end that can get to the QB. Both systems work but finds a big man for the middle should be easy but for some reason we never invest in the position and regret it later
SMH

JMHO
I've always been a fan of the 4-3.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SMH

JMHO
In prior years I not only agree with you, but lead the charge myself. But, I can't this year. I was incredibly happy with Woods in the middle. I think he was hurt at the end of the year but did a fantastic job, was one of the unsung heroes of this defense and he and Collins (maybe our best DL in the playoffs this year) together is fine IMO. What we need is depth. Those guys need their rest and running out guys like we were behind them isn't going to cut it. What killed this team at DT was Irving. If he didn't screw us this year our DTs would have been fantastic IMO. I think an upgrade is needed and a replacement for Irving that can penetrate, but I really like Collins and Woods as pieces of the puzzle.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me 2
And why we don’t invest in the middle just baffles and annoys the hell out of me
I agree. The most dominant player for the Patriots in the Super Bowl was Danny Shelton. Dude was a monster in the middle

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak not worth this, Dak not worth that. Heard the same shit about Romo. Both of Romo's contracts were criticized. No QB is ever good enough with this fan base or the media. He's getting what the market dictates. I'm fine with whatever Dallas gives him.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me 2
And why we don’t invest in the middle just baffles and annoys the hell out of me
Cowboys coaches need to go back and watch film of the Colts and Rams games. The DL was exposed. A big run stuffer could have changed the outcome of the Rams game. The lack of a huge DT and an upgrade over heath is keeping the defense from being elite. Until this is fixed this team is not a superbowl contender.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys coaches need to go back and watch film of the Colts and Rams games. The DL was exposed. A big run stuffer could have changed the outcome of the Rams game. The lack of a huge DT and an upgrade over heath is keeping the defense from being elite. Until this is fixed this team is not a superbowl contender.
You could have taken any one DT in history and put it on this team for the Rams game and we were still going to get blown out in the run game. Our two young LBs were sealed off on what seemed like almost every single play. The cut backs were wide open and the DL was moved at will. Where was our $20M guy that day? A big, hole clogging, penetrating DT would be great for this team, but be careful how much you expect it to change things.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak not worth this, Dak not worth that. Heard the same shit about Romo. Both of Romo's contracts were criticized. No QB is ever good enough with this fan base or the media. He's getting what the market dictates. I'm fine with whatever Dallas gives him.

What the market gives isn't so simple when you have many other mouths to feed. If Dak and DLaw get top dollar the team will suffer.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the market gives isn't so simple when you have many other mouths to feed. If Dak and DLaw get top dollar the team will suffer.
Not if they keep drafting well and finding undrafted free agents.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ignoring the "fake year's salaries" and not likely to receive dollars He won't sign for less than $25M this offseason and we won't give him $30M this year. There is no need to resign him right now and the team has zero urgency. He has another year on his contract and then can be tagged at least once. So unless one side blinks I think he goes at least another year before a long term deal is agreed to.

IMO Dak is a very underrated QB and the idea that he is going to sign for the lower end of between $20M and $25M per year is wishful thinking. He is a QB that has had success already, has been very clutch and he is young and should only get better. He isn't a top 5 QB and he may not even be a top 10 QB but he is a good QB and good QBs get paid. The stupid Jimmy G contract destroyed any sanity that may have been left in QB contracts.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ignoring the "fake year's salaries" and not likely to receive dollars He won't sign for less than $25M this offseason and we won't give him $30M this year. There is no need to resign him right now and the team has zero urgency. He has another year on his contract and then can be tagged at least once. So unless one side blinks I think he goes at least another year before a long term deal is agreed to.

IMO Dak is a very underrated QB and the idea that he is going to sign for the lower end of between $20M and $25M per year is wishful thinking. He is a QB that has had success already, has been very clutch and he is young and should only get better. He isn't a top 5 QB and he may not even be a top 10 QB but he is a good QB and good QBs get paid. The stupid Jimmy G contract destroyed any sanity that may have been left in QB contracts.
I don't think it is wishful thinking at all if they don't bid against themselves. Which teams that have given a QB $25 million+ have had that work out for them? How many made the playoffs? ARod? Matthew Stafford? Matt Ryan? Jimmy G? Kirk Cousins? No one besides Dallas would give Dak $25 million+. Offer him $22 million or let him play out his rookie deal

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it is wishful thinking at all if they don't bid against themselves. Which teams that have given a QB $25 million+ have had that work out for them? How many made the playoffs? ARod? Matthew Stafford? Matt Ryan? Jimmy G? Kirk Cousins? No one besides Dallas would give Dak $25 million+. Offer him $22 million or let him play out his rookie deal
First off, what I'm saying is the best and most likely scenario is to NOT sign him this year and to instead wait and see another year and maybe tag him and wait two years. But, if you think Dak is going to accept $22M per year when Jimmy G and Cousins signed last year for $27-$28M, I think you are way underestimating what Dak is going to want. The salaries go up every year and young QBs who have yet to get a big pay day aren't taking a Brady or Brees deal to help their teams.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, what I'm saying is the best and most likely scenario is to NOT sign him this year and to instead wait and see another year and maybe tag him and wait two years. But, if you think Dak is going to accept $22M per year when Jimmy G and Cousins signed last year for $27-$28M, I think you are way underestimating what Dak is going to want. The salaries go up every year and young QBs who have yet to get a big pay day aren't taking a Brady or Brees deal to help their teams.
You could be right, but I think that would be shortsighted on his part. We have seen that Dak can win with a great supporting cast around him. His rookie year he wins 13 with Zeke3, Dez, Witten and the best OL in the game. 2nd year, loses Zeke for 6 games and misses playoffs. This year, he starts 3-5...until we add Amari Cooper. If he signs for $27-30, we will lose at least 1-2 Star players we could have kept. Then maybe he gets cut after a couple of losing season. Jax made the AFC Championship and then paid Bortles...and plummeted. Minnesota made the NFC Championship and went out and paid for Cousins.. and plummeted. The Packers paid a guy that you could argue actually deserves that kind of money, ARod...then cut a bunch of players, and sucked.
If Dak signed for $20-22, he would likely be here for 10-12 more years on a GOOD team and maybe win a Super Bowl. So what's that add up to..a quarter of a billion dollars plus endorsements? Plus, the last two career Dallas Cowboys QB's will make themselves another $80-100 million AFTER football in their lives to work 20 days a year.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with your premise at all, but you can say the same for every player and it just doesn't really happen except for a very few special cases. Take D Law for example. He could take $15-$18M to keep a better team around him too, but I don't think he is going to do that either.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with your premise at all, but you can say the same for every player and it just doesn't really happen except for a very few special cases. Take D Law for example. He could take $15-$18M to keep a better team around him too, but I don't think he is going to do that either.
IMO, DLaw deserves top money for his position more than Dak does. Do you think Dak is worth $10 million a year more than DLaw, cause if you give Dak $30, that's what it would be. DLaw may be the 2nd or 3rd best DE in the game, I would pay him accordingly. Dak is nowhere near the 2nd or 3rd best QB in the game, and I don't think that even the biggest Dak fan would argue the point. Some people might have Dak as high as 10, some as low as 20. Paying him at the top end as #10 would be $22 million. I simply wouldn't overpay a guys production between $5-10 million a year. And to anyone who points to wins as production, he only wins with a full deck. Sign a fair deal or play out his rookie deal.
It comes down to this for me...would you rather have the current roster with Dak, minus, say, Byron Jones and Jaylon Smith, or the current roster plus those two long-term and a young QB or a FA like Foles for $20 million?
Or...Dak accepts less money and we keep everyone.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak will get 25+ no matter what.
If he didnt he should fire his agent.
Any true Starting QB in a multi year deal will get that. Whether or not he is worth it wont matter. That will be the going rate for a starting QB in the NFL.
If we wait & he does well in his final year. That will only push up his worth between agent & team. Then dont be surprised if it is over 30.

No true starter will sign for 22 mil. right now.

For the record I think all new QB contracts are overpriced, So while people that will say we paid to much for Dak will be technically correct. We would have overpaid for whoever we signed. (Not on a Rookie contract)
That is the way of QBs (pretty much most contracts now) in the NFL now.