• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dak Prescott

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
waiting til the end of the year doesnt make sense to me.
Doing it before the year was what made no sense to me...So we wait a year, add about $3M per year onto the cap versus a possible crash and burn or career ending injury. The risk was worth it IMO. If Dak keeps it up this year I'll gladly give him $35M per in March

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think the deal could have been done for 27 to 28 Mil before Wilson signed.
Originally I kind of expected right around that amount, but looking at it now, I don't think so at all. Why would he sign for what Jimmy G and Cousins did but a year later??? In 2018 Garoppolo signed for $28M per and had very little experience and Cousins signed for $28M per and it was 100% guaranteed so really a lot more attractive than your "normal" $28M contract and Cousins really isn't that great either. That same year Rodgers set the superstar bar at $33.5M just like Wilson did at $35M in 2019 and Ryan signed for $30M. So if Dak signed before Wilson he comes in below Rodgers of course even though a year later, but to come up with what he would get, I guess you take Cousins and Jimmy G and bump them up a little because Dak is better and then add a years worth of growth. So in 2018 after the other two sign I'm guessing Dak comes in around $29M+ and then increase that a little for a years worth of inflation if he signs before Wilson and maybe it's $30M to $31M per?

Obviously I don't know, but that is my thought process. To think we get him for what Jimmy G and Cousins did, but a year later seems a stretch to me.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doing it before the year was what made no sense to me...So we wait a year, add about $3M per year onto the cap versus a possible crash and burn or career ending injury. The risk was worth it IMO. If Dak keeps it up this year I'll gladly give him $35M per in March
yeah. If we get him for 35 mil at end of season. I would be cool with that. Although I thought if we had signed him earlier it would have been for the Goff contract.
Problem I see if we wait til end of season.
Mahomes will get reupped next offseason & his contract will be insane. So if the Dak side waits til after that signing. His # will go up a lot when we could have gotten him signed for a reasonable 35 LOL.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah. If we get him for 35 mil at end of season. I would be cool with that. Although I thought if we had signed him earlier it would have been for the Goff contract.
Problem I see if we wait til end of season.
Mahomes will get reupped next offseason & his contract will be insane. So if the Dak side waits til after that signing. His # will go up a lot when we could have gotten him signed for a reasonable 35 LOL.
I would love $35M after the year. We got another year to evaluate him and thus far he has taken a big step forward. If he keeps playing like he has so far this year, I'm more confident giving him $35M after this year than I was $30M after last year.

Agree. We have to do it before Mahomes, but I expect it will be a while on Mahomes.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Originally I kind of expected right around that amount, but looking at it now, I don't think so at all. Why would he sign for what Jimmy G and Cousins did but a year later??? In 2018 Garoppolo signed for $28M per and had very little experience and Cousins signed for $28M per and it was 100% guaranteed so really a lot more attractive than your "normal" $28M contract and Cousins really isn't that great either. That same year Rodgers set the superstar bar at $33.5M just like Wilson did at $35M in 2019 and Ryan signed for $30M. So if Dak signed before Wilson he comes in below Rodgers of course even though a year later, but to come up with what he would get, I guess you take Cousins and Jimmy G and bump them up a little because Dak is better and then add a years worth of growth. So in 2018 after the other two sign I'm guessing Dak comes in around $29M+ and then increase that a little for a years worth of inflation if he signs before Wilson and maybe it's $30M to $31M per?

Obviously I don't know, but that is my thought process. To think we get him for what Jimmy G and Cousins did, but a year later seems a stretch to me.
I'm just going off of the rumors at the time, but let's say they got him at 30M per pre Wilson, that's still 5M saved for other positions down the road. I think Dallas screwed the pooch waiting here.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just going off of the rumors at the time, but let's say they got him at 30M per pre Wilson, that's still 5M saved for other positions down the road. I think Dallas screwed the pooch waiting here.
And $30M more in savings that we have this year to roll into next year to pay for that $5M

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And $30M more in savings that we have this year to roll into next year to pay for that $5M
I'm sure you're aware that it's not often year one is paid out at the annual pay rate in these contracts, plus had they signed him pre Wilson his 2019 salary wouldn't be any different than it is not except for 1/5 of his signing bonus.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure you're aware that it's not often year one is paid out at the annual pay rate in these contracts, plus had they signed him pre Wilson his 2019 salary wouldn't be any different than it is not except for 1/5 of his signing bonus.
You used $30M so I used $30M for illustrative purposes. He will get a huge SB and even if nothing else 1/5 of that will be pushed out if we wait. And if he signed now since he hasn't made much through Football and his salary this year is low it would be even bigger. And now next year will be year 1 with the normal lower first year cap hit instead of being year 2 if we signed him in 2019 or year 3 if we signed him in 2018. Waiting was good mostly because we didn't know who Dak was yet and maybe we still don't.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You used $30M so I used $30M for illustrative purposes. He will get a huge SB and even if nothing else 1/5 of that will be pushed out if we wait. And if he signed now since he hasn't made much through Football and his salary this year is low it would be even bigger. And now next year will be year 1 with the normal lower first year cap hit instead of being year 2 if we signed him in 2019 or year 3 if we signed him in 2018. Waiting was good mostly because we didn't know who Dak was yet and maybe we still don't.

By signing this off season 1/5 of his bonus would be pain while still on hi rookie deal, and his 2020 more than likely would not be at 30M, whereas signing a 35M per year contract this coming off season his 2020 cap hit will jump substantially over the 30M per had it already been inked. If teams have intention to sign a guy as upon him being a FA, they are better off getting them inked before the can hit Free Agency. If they have serious doubts about keeping said player, they need to do all they can to find his replacement a year before he becomes a FA.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak will get a good contract.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By waiting you push the big years back. If we signed him in 2018 he'd already be in year 2 and 2/5's of his SB would have already hit. Instead we have a ton of cap space to roll forward. That's great for the cap. Perhaps I'm not explaining it properly.

His 2020 cap hit will be smaller than if we signed him this year and much smaller than if we signed him in 2018. If you are going to say he's getting $30M per year and say he is starting really low, it has to kick in at some point or it doesn't add up to $30M per. We'd already be in year 3 in 2020 if we signed him in 2018. Some are saying he only wanted a 4 year deal. So if year 1 and 2 are way lower than the average, 3 and 4 need to be way higher to get there

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pay the man. He has passed all the tests. Not sure what else needs to be seen.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By waiting you push the big years back. If we signed him in 2018 he'd already be in year 2 [/B]and 2/5's of his SB would have already hit. Instead we have a ton of cap space to roll forward. That's great for the cap. Perhaps I'm not explaining it properly.

His 2020 cap hit will be smaller than if we signed him this year and much smaller than if we signed him in 2018. If you are going to say he's getting $30M per year and say he is starting really low, it has to kick in at some point or it doesn't add up to $30M per. We'd already be in year 3 in 2020 if we signed him in 2018. Some are saying he only wanted a 4 year deal. So if year 1 and 2 are way lower than the average, 3 and 4 need to be way higher to get there
Not true as his new contract would officially kick in in 2020 regardless. His SB would have started this season then for 4 years on his new deal.

And your point that even at 30 per year his contract will be high anyway at some point that stands more true at 35M per.
My stance is had they signed him pre Wilson they'd have him at a bargain for another 5 years.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well what ever he gets is the going rate unless your team wants to gamble on a draft pick QB every 3-5 years and so far no team has chosen that route yet.
My perspective on the pay? I don’t think any of these players are worth what they are getting paid. But delving into that leads down a deep long rabbit hole I want to avoid.
Cowboys could have saved money signing him earlier and now will pay more but being objective you can see either side as the way to go for all the reasons explained by others.
Nobody wrong nobody right just different perspectives on the same issues.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well what ever he gets is the going rate unless your team wants to gamble on a draft pick QB every 3-5 years and so far no team has chosen that route yet.
My perspective on the pay? I don’t think any of these players are worth what they are getting paid. But delving into that leads down a deep long rabbit hole I want to avoid.
Cowboys could have saved money signing him earlier and now will pay more but being objective you can see either side as the way to go for all the reasons explained by others.
I agree and will be OK when he signs, now I'm just crossing fingers he does so before Mahomes does. Not she beats or equals him, but I do think Mahomes raises the salary ladder.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like your thinking on this . There was no reason to rush. Dak keeps playing well he deserves to get paid and we know he is going to be giving 100% going forward. There are no quality QBs available if we let Dak walk

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If there is a silver lining to this, it is that we get a 35 million dollar a year QB for pennies on the dollar, at least for this year. Now we can also say that we got a 35 million dollar QB in years 6-8 for pennies on the dollar as 35 million will be long surpassed as pay for a QB.

Do I think that paying athletes this kind of money as crazy, yes. But it is not my system nor my money. It also ensures I don't take my family to games. Cheapest tickets to see Cowboys play lions are real close to $200. No way am I going to blow that money on seats where I will have to attend to my kids nose bleeding and not even get to see game.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is a silver lining to this, it is that we get a 35 million dollar a year QB for pennies on the dollar, at least for this year. Now we can also say that we got a 35 million dollar QB in years 6-8 for pennies on the dollar as 35 million will be long surpassed as pay for a QB.

Do I think that paying athletes this kind of money as crazy, yes. But it is not my system nor my money. It also ensures I don't take my family to games. Cheapest tickets to see Cowboys play lions are real close to $200. No way am I going to blow that money on seats where I will have to attend to my kids nose bleeding and not even get to see game.
we would have him for pennies on the dollar regardless. his 35 a yr contract would be an extension of his rookie deal. not replacing the rookie deal.