• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't burn a season option on him. I believe his option count was 4. Doing this makes it 3, giving FZ more flexibility to bounce him around longer.
True, but, meh…

ultimately, it means Mathias gets paid more money. No one is going to submit a complaint.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but, meh…

ultimately, it means Mathias gets paid more money. No one is going to submit a complaint.
Its still roster manipulation. If I remember correctly, FZ was one of the worst culprits of carouseling (is that a word?) pitchers through the IL so he could pitch a bunch of guys regularly. As a result, the commissioner's office changed the minimum stay for pitchers on the IL to 15 days. I wouldn't be surprised if he was also one of the main characters that caused them to also implement a maximum amount of options used in a year before a player gets exposed to the waiver wire.

I would think that someone in the commissioner's office will at least notice that they option a guy, reverse the option, put him on the IL and then send him on a rehab assignment just 5 days later. Why would a guy even need a rehab assignment for that short of a stint? Of course, they did that in the minor leagues earlier this year. Damon Dues was placed on the 7 day IL with San Jose and was in the ACL the next day on a rehab assigment that lasted close to a month.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Matos is also up. No word yet on corresponding moves. I assume Wade is going on the IL but someone needs to be removed from both the active roster and 40 man roster for Harrison.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Matos is also up. No word yet on corresponding moves. I assume Wade is going on the IL but someone needs to be removed from both the active roster and 40 man roster for Harrison.
Why call up Harrison now if he isn’t going to pitch until Tuesday?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So who will be the casualty?

I figure the candidates are…

Hjelli for a DFA
Pollock for a DFA or 60
Mathias for a DFA or 60
Craw for a 60

I think in all those scenarios, Hjelli is the 26 casualty.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who will be the casualty?

I figure the candidates are…

Hjelli for a DFA
Pollock for a DFA or 60
Mathias for a DFA or 60
Craw for a 60

I think in all those scenarios, Hjelli is the 26 casualty.
The Giants are currently at 12 pitchers so I'm not convinced that Hjelle will be optioned (or dfa'd). Of course, Winn is healthy now so the Giants may dfa Hjelle, called up Winn and purchase Harrison's contract. Then, one of Schmitt or Matos gets optioned.

However, dfa'ing Camargo would be the quickest move. Not sure if that will happen either but I could see it as a possibility.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants are currently at 12 pitchers so I'm not convinced that Hjelle will be optioned (or dfa'd). Of course, Winn is healthy now so the Giants may dfa Hjelle, called up Winn and purchase Harrison's contract. Then, one of Schmitt or Matos gets optioned.

However, dfa'ing Camargo would be the quickest move. Not sure if that will happen either but I could see it as a possibility.
I have no prob jettisoning Camargo. His OPS+ (in 15 PA, granted) is 73 (of course on the Giants, that makes him the leading contender for the Willie Mac Award). But with Craw now possibly down for the count and who knows if Estrada is destined for the IL, and Schmitt in a spiral nose-dive, I am not certain we can afford to DFA Camargo atm.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no prob jettisoning Camargo. His OPS+ (in 15 PA, granted) is 73 (of course on the Giants, that makes him the leading contender for the Willie Mac Award). But with Craw now possibly down for the count and who knows if Estrada is destined for the IL, and Schmitt in a spiral nose-dive, I am not certain we can afford to DFA Camargo atm.
I had forgotten about Estrada's hand injury from Sunday's game. Fortunately, X-rays came back clean so we will see if he needs to spend time on the IL. If so, his placement would make room for Harrison but I doubt the Giants put him on the 10 day IL today. That may happen later in the week if he isn't showing improvement.

I don't see any obvious candidates for the 60 day IL right now. The hope is that all of Crawford, Pollock and Yastrzemski will be ready by early September. Mathias, however, may become a dfa casualty. Other likely candidates are, as mentioned, Hjelle and I think Randy Rodriguez. He has struggled pretty badly in AAA. If the Giants were willing to walk away from Castro, they could do so with him as well. Johnson and even Bart could be axed as well.

Here is my list, from most likely to least likely, of the top candidates to get dfa'd:
1. Bryce Johnson
2. Sean Hjelle
3. Mark Mathias
4. Randy Rodriguez
5. Joey Bart
6. Johan Camargo
Camargo would be a lot higher on this list if not for the thin nature of the middle infield right now (although I still think the Giants should dfa him and bring up Fitzgerald).

By the way, Ryan Walker should be returning to the active roster soon. That will require another move from the active roster.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had a feeling that this was coming when the Blue Jays released him. They are that desperate. I would assume that Camargo is gone but maybe they put Estrada on the IL? But then, they will need to clear two spots on the 40 man roster for DeJong and Harrison.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had a feeling that this was coming when the Blue Jays released him. They are that desperate. I would assume that Camargo is gone but maybe they put Estrada on the IL? But then, they will need to clear two spots on the 40 man roster for DeJong and Harrison.

He has some HR power, but his OPS+ has consistently been garbage (sub 100). On the surface I am not pro or anti this move.

I think this has to mean Camargo is gone. But as you said, we still need to account for a 40 spot for Harrison. I think the safest move is to DFA Pollock or Mathias. But I assume we acquired them for some reason, so jettisoning them right away is a bit hard to comprehend.

But this is FZ…

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He has some HR power, but his OPS+ has consistently been garbage (sub 100). On the surface I am not pro or anti this move.

I think this has to mean Camargo is gone. But as you said, we still need to account for a 40 spot for Harrison. I think the safest move is to DFA Pollock or Mathias. But I assume we acquired them for some reason, so jettisoning them right away is a bit hard to comprehend.

But this is FZ…
This is why any of Camargo, Mathias and/or Pollock are not safe. He does this on the regular.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Massive roster changes are coming because I just read that Walker will be activated today. That means 3 players (at least) are going to be moved off the active roster.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants and A’s also pulled off a rare post-deadline trade and an ever rarer swap between the Bay Bridge rivals. San Francisco sent LHP Sean Newcomb, a onetime top prospect with Atlanta, in exchange for IF/OF Trenton Brooks, who was batting .299/.405/.529 (a .934 OPS) for the A’s Triple-A affiliate. Neither player appeared on a 40-man roster this season or spent time on an MLB injured list, allowing for the post-deadline trade. The clubs haven’t pulled off a swap of major league players since Darren Lewis was sent to Oakland for Ernie Riles in 1990. (From the BANG)

I wonder why they don't call up Fitz. He can play short. He has power. He is hitting well at Sacramento. But hey, if DeJong works out, great. It does smack of desperation.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants and A’s also pulled off a rare post-deadline trade and an ever rarer swap between the Bay Bridge rivals. San Francisco sent LHP Sean Newcomb, a onetime top prospect with Atlanta, in exchange for IF/OF Trenton Brooks, who was batting .299/.405/.529 (a .934 OPS) for the A’s Triple-A affiliate. Neither player appeared on a 40-man roster this season or spent time on an MLB injured list, allowing for the post-deadline trade. The clubs haven’t pulled off a swap of major league players since Darren Lewis was sent to Oakland for Ernie Riles in 1990. (From the BANG)

I wonder why they don't call up Fitz. He can play short. He has power. He is hitting well at Sacramento. But hey, if DeJong works out, great. It does smack of desperation.
I've been wondering that for a while. Is there some kind of knock on his defense? That would seem weird considering that they are trying him out in center field this year, for the first time in his professional career. He is striking out just over 24% of his plate appearances but that is down from almost 33% of his plate appearances last year. He has one of the best OPS among RiverCats' hitters. He fits FZ's favorite kind of player, middle infielder with versatility. He was drafted by FZ's regime. I am at a loss as to why he has not played with the Giants yet. Maybe because they like to make guys named Tyler sit in AAA with nothing prove (although that was Evans' regime that did that to Rogers).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But this is FZ…
I knew that his career has been on a general decline but I thought I'd look at it again when you mentioned OPS+. Yeah, its not been pretty. Its gone from 121 his rookie year to 102 to 99 to 87 to 85 to 52 (!) to 73 thus far this year. He was almost league average with the Cardinals this year (93) but his abysmal stint with the Blue Jays sunk that. Of course, the Blue Jays probably noticed that he started off hot this year and has been downhill every since then.
I don't expect much from him offensively. He'll fit right in with this bunch.