• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember back when we would DFA out excess and feel safe that they would go unclaimed? Now ALL our castoffs get gobbled up.
Yeah, I was noticing that. With just about anyone else, I'd wonder if that would cause the GM/exec to pause on that game but this is FZ. He'll go full steam ahead.
Hopefully, Shaw and Garcia get decent shots with their new orgs (both have a chance) but I wouldn't be surprised if Shaw, at least, doesn't do the dfa dance this offseason.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was noticing that. With just about anyone else, I'd wonder if that would cause the GM/exec to pause on that game but this is FZ. He'll go full steam ahead.
Hopefully, Shaw and Garcia get decent shots with their new orgs (both have a chance) but I wouldn't be surprised if Shaw, at least, doesn't do the dfa dance this offseason.
I actually pegged Humphreys for the frequent flier club this off season

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually pegged Humphreys for the frequent flier club this off season
Yeah, he seems like a good candidate as well. The reason I see Shaw bouncing around is due to the fact that defensively limited, high slugging, low on base guys tend to be undervalued in this market (if that is possible).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised to see Garcia on that list. Though I did expect the team to look outside the org for the bu catcher position.

Who tf is Kervin Castro? This kid was never on my radar at all...

I consider myself, and you as well, minor league aficionados, so it's not often a guy comes around that we have no clue about. It probably says a lot about the kid.

He was signed as a catcher in 2015, quickly converted to a pitcher, and throws upwards of 98. He missed 2017 with tommy john. My guess is that the Giants caught wind of other teams that were interested in him as a reliever and felt like they needed to add him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I consider myself, and you as well, minor league aficionados, so it's not often a guy comes around that we have no clue about. It probably says a lot about the kid.

He was signed as a catcher in 2015, quickly converted to a pitcher, and throws upwards of 98. He missed 2017 with tommy john. My guess is that the Giants caught wind of other teams that were interested in him as a reliever and felt like they needed to add him.
And the fact that they were willing to start his clock and invest a 40-slot on him is awfully telling.

I love getting surprised on Christmas morning.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the fact that they were willing to start his clock and invest a 40-slot on him is awfully telling.

But are they "starting the clock" early? He first played in 2016, so he has 5 years in the minors (he signed under age 18, so he gets 5 years). Did "the MLB powers-that-be" decide that 2020 wouldn't count as a "real year" ? If they didn't, this was the year he would have to be protected.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But are they "starting the clock" early? He first played in 2016, so he has 5 years in the minors (he signed under age 18, so he gets 5 years). Did "the MLB powers-that-be" decide that 2020 wouldn't count as a "real year" ? If they didn't, this was the year he would have to be protected.
My question about "starting the clock" early is on Alexander Canario. He signed in 2016 but wasn't assigned to a roster until 2017, at age 17. Doesn't that mean he was eligible for the Rule 5 draft until next offseason (2021)?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if my records are accurate, we have 2 open spots on the 40...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants also cut ties with Melvin Adon, Rico Garcia and Chad Tromp (though he is demanding a recount on that).

Adon‘s nose dive in the last year or so is very puzzling. He was a bright radar blip for so long, than just thump.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one was buried from yesterday...

Giants signed Ruf to a $1.275M one year deal.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants also cut ties with Melvin Adon, Rico Garcia and Chad Tromp (though he is demanding a recount on that).

Adon‘s nose dive in the last year or so is very puzzling. He was a bright radar blip for so long, than just thump.

This one was buried from yesterday...

Giants signed Ruf to a $1.275M one year deal.
FZ strikes again! Why non-tender these guys? Okay, Rico Garcia I get. He didn't look good last year but Tromp was a very decent backup. With Aramis Garcia gone, Tromp was at least someone needed for depth. I guess FZ is going to sign a bunch of minor league deals with veteran catchers again. Seems to be his favorite thing to do. Adon is really weird too. What is the point? I guess FZ is going to go hog wild on the waiver pickups and/or non-tender adds.
I didn't even see Ruf reported. Glad that only two guys will go through arbitration (assuming the Giants don't make deals with either before the hearings).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FZ strikes again! Why non-tender these guys? Okay, Rico Garcia I get. He didn't look good last year but Tromp was a very decent backup. With Aramis Garcia gone, Tromp was at least someone needed for depth. I guess FZ is going to sign a bunch of minor league deals with veteran catchers again. Seems to be his favorite thing to do. Adon is really weird too. What is the point? I guess FZ is going to go hog wild on the waiver pickups and/or non-tender adds.
I didn't even see Ruf reported. Glad that only two guys will go through arbitration (assuming the Giants don't make deals with either before the hearings).
Solano could cost a pretty penny. No defense, but he has hardware, so that will be a bonus. Moronta is high profile, but coming off a lost season to injury makes him a big question mark.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He probably hopes to bring them all back on a minor league deal, and it opens up three more roster spots. It's also financially cheaper to non-tender them now as opposed to DFA'ing them later if they need the roster space.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He probably hopes to bring them all back on a minor league deal, and it opens up three more roster spots. It's also financially cheaper to non-tender them now as opposed to DFA'ing them later if they need the roster space.
And I wouldn't be surprised if he's got a deal lined up already on at least Rico Garcia but I've noticed that other teams have been grabbing the dfa guys quickly. That would suggest it won't be as easy to pass through these guys but, then again, the market is flooded. However, Tromp may feel that his 2020 season will give him decent looks from other teams and see if they'll give him a better shot than the Giants. Not sure why Tromp or Garcia weren't considered for the back up spot but this position suddenly went from a position of relative strength, in terms of depth, to a very weak spot. Bart needs to play at AAA in 2021 (if that will be possible) and then only get the call up if he can play full time. If Tromp walks (like I think he will) then FZ has to rely solely on the open market, not just for the backup but for depth as well.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I wouldn't be surprised if he's got a deal lined up already on at least Rico Garcia but I've noticed that other teams have been grabbing the dfa guys quickly. That would suggest it won't be as easy to pass through these guys but, then again, the market is flooded. However, Tromp may feel that his 2020 season will give him decent looks from other teams and see if they'll give him a better shot than the Giants. Not sure why Tromp or Garcia weren't considered for the back up spot but this position suddenly went from a position of relative strength, in terms of depth, to a very weak spot. Bart needs to play at AAA in 2021 (if that will be possible) and then only get the call up if he can play full time. If Tromp walks (like I think he will) then FZ has to rely solely on the open market, not just for the backup but for depth as well.

Yeah Tromp is a bit surprising. Catching depth around baseball is so thin, I wouldn't be surprised if someone offers him a major league deal.

The other two though will be back on a minor league deal, I'm fairly confident.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants seem to extend no love to backup catchers. Given Posey is not an everyday player I'd expect a reliable proven back-up would be a priority. I'd hate to start auditioning newbies again. Maybe they've been talking to Vogt or Hundley...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they want Bart in AAA next year. They want him learning from Posey and starting 60 games.