• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily. The amount they would have to pay him as a Rule 5 could well be less than a deal on the market. I doubt that his likelihood of getting drafted is high but I do think it is a real (if slight) possibility.
Sure. It happens. It happened to the Giants just a few years ago (I forget who, but I think the pitcher went to Arizona?)

I just think it is a long shot, and if it does happen, who really cares?

could a team draft a player from their own org? That would be a way around the DFA system.. (team drafts their own non-roster player, putting him on the 40; team then “returns” the player back to themselves, removing them from the 40)

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. It happens. It happened to the Giants just a few years ago (I forget who, but I think the pitcher went to Arizona?)

I just think it is a long shot, and if it does happen, who really cares?

could a team draft a player from their own org? That would be a way around the DFA system.. (team drafts their own non-roster player, putting him on the 40; team then “returns” the player back to themselves, removing them from the 40)
I don't think teams can draft someone from their own org but its a moot point now anyway since I've read that the Tromp contract is a big league deal. Now I really don't understand why he was non-tendered. He wasn't even arb eligible so the Giants could have just renewed him at the minimum for a 2nd year player. Of course, I don't know the details on deals so there must be some reason that his contract is now more team friendly than a simple renewal.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adon and Rico Garcia are both back with the org and invited to ST.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants drafted Dedniel Nunez in the Rule 5 draft.
I would guess he's got good stuff but his minor league numbers are not overwhelming. He seems like a longshot to make the team.

On a different note, Dany Jimenez got picked again the Rule 5, this time by the A's.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony Desclfini signed. No terms yet; I'm thinking one year make good deal at best. Minor league deal with invite to ST at worst.

Might be this year's Gausman or Smyly.

Edit: 1 yr/$6M...more than I thought. Looks like he's penciled in with Gausman, Cueto, and Webb.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony Desclfini signed. No terms yet; I'm thinking one year make good deal at best. Minor league deal with invite to ST at worst.

Might be this year's Gausman or Smyly.

Edit: 1 yr/$6M...more than I thought. Looks like he's penciled in with Gausman, Cueto, and Webb.
Deal isn't horrible but is the entire rotation going to be reclamation projects? Cueto has to show he still has more than 5th starter stuff. Gausman has to show his 2020 wasn't just a SSS flash in the pan. DeSclafani has to show his numbers are just a product of pitching in Cincy (splits would suggest that is true).
If this is going to be the entire rotation, couldn't one or two spots just be given to guys like Menez, Baragar and Suarez (whoops, he's just about gone now) to compete for?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deal isn't horrible but is the entire rotation going to be reclamation projects? Cueto has to show he still has more than 5th starter stuff. Gausman has to show his 2020 wasn't just a SSS flash in the pan. DeSclafani has to show his numbers are just a product of pitching in Cincy (splits would suggest that is true).
If this is going to be the entire rotation, couldn't one or two spots just be given to guys like Menez, Baragar and Suarez (whoops, he's just about gone now) to compete for?
I think FZs approach is to gather 7-8 of these types and have 2-3 in AAA at the ready. Not a horrible approach, and some will pan out.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meh. I don't mind free agent pitching on one year deals, and this will at least get some innings. He at least has one good pitch too (his slider) so maybe the Giants can work with that. Gotta give them some credit as well, they identified Pomeranz, Guasman, Smyly, and Cahill on 1-year deals (Anderson I don't really count since he was picked off waivers) with solid to great results.

DeSclafani is not very exciting but given their track record I think there's reason for some optimism

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is interesting, don't see many guys on active rosters going international. I wonder how the Giants will be compensated for this.
I thought that there was a player who already did this from another organization but I cannot remember the player or or the org so I don't know what kind of compensation was given.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think FZs approach is to gather 7-8 of these types and have 2-3 in AAA at the ready. Not a horrible approach, and some will pan out.
Meh. I don't mind free agent pitching on one year deals, and this will at least get some innings. He at least has one good pitch too (his slider) so maybe the Giants can work with that. Gotta give them some credit as well, they identified Pomeranz, Guasman, Smyly, and Cahill on 1-year deals (Anderson I don't really count since he was picked off waivers) with solid to great results.

DeSclafani is not very exciting but given their track record I think there's reason for some optimism
I like the gathering as long as they quickly jettison those who don't perform. I guess I'm stuck in the Sabean era, where they often didn't perform but still stuck around. FZ's reclamations have been much better, in general, and DeSclafani had a pretty decent 2019. Hope he gets back to that form (or better).
FZ had suggested he is not done adding to the starting rotation. Not sure if he's going big (which would have to be Bauer, not much else out there) or, more likely, get another one of these guys. As for the bullpen, he's talking about grabbing some minor league type deals for some right handers. I wonder if that means he doesn't feel the team needs any left handed help or he specifically mentioned right handers for a reason.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IFZWT

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never heard of the dude, but he looks pretty solid...

He had TJ surgery last June so he will be out until probably June or July of 2021 but the Giants will have rights to him through 2023. If he can regain his form, he looks to be a pretty good add. FZ seems to be playing the non-tender market pretty shrewdly.