• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current, former players shocked Lamar is not getting more interest

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know. I’ve long believed that the NFL owners have practiced collusion for years. It’s really fishy to me that in only 2 hours time you had 4 or 5 franchises come out and say they aren’t considering Lamar Jackson. If that’s legit it’s complete malpractice. It’s the job of the front office to improve the team. Not sure how you can do your due diligence in that amount of time. Look at what the Seahawks got for a lesser QB in Russ. Lamar Jackson costs half of that draft capital and is entering the prime of his career at 26. Say what you want about Lamar but he’s never looked as poor as Wilson has looked the last two seasons.
It's not malpractice, it's the differential in value for 1st round picks. The #1 pick is worth 5 times the value of the #32 pick. If you believe the Rich Hall chart it's 9 times the value. Teams have to give up their own pick or a higher pick for players moving via the offer sheet. The Bears couldn't consider giving up the #1 pick plus next year's 1st round pick and pay Jackson the money he would want. They could pay the money but the picks are too valuable to be wasted in this way. The teams normally picking last in the 1st round would be prepared to give up the picks but they normally don't have the cash/cap space to retain their own expiring contracts. The only teams likely to consider giving an offer sheet to a franchise tagged QB would be the teams in the 17-24 group of picks. Some of those teams will already be tied to a QB and the others would want a young top 4 pocket passer QB - Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, or Herbert. Maybe Hurts would be in that group...only maybe. The system is broken.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must piss you off even more when ol dummy keeps beating your team then

Whatever deal he gets won't be as bad as what the Browns gave up for Watson lol

Obviously I hate seeing my team lose but it isn't anything specific to Lamar.

4-6 fwiw and it would be 5 and 5 with a decently officiated game last fall.

That said this guy wants 250 mil as a qb

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^

He's a very dumb human being.

Amazing athletic talent. Very unique football player

Total dumbass.

Which is probably better than being a creep Like Watson. But if I'm investing 250 mil give me the guy who can remotely articulate himself as the leader of my football team.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know. I’ve long believed that the NFL owners have practiced collusion for years. It’s really fishy to me that in only 2 hours time you had 4 or 5 franchises come out and say they aren’t considering Lamar Jackson. If that’s legit it’s complete malpractice. It’s the job of the front office to improve the team. Not sure how you can do your due diligence in that amount of time. Look at what the Seahawks got for a lesser QB in Russ. Lamar Jackson costs half of that draft capital and is entering the prime of his career at 26. Say what you want about Lamar but he’s never looked as poor as Wilson has looked the last two seasons.
Using Russ isn’t a good example. Using him would make no one want to sign a long term deal if a guy can fall off the cliff if he loses a tiny bit of mobility.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington is probably the most sensible landing spot. Or perhaps Tennessee

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck that!

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying but the RW trade was a monumental overpay by the Broncos that was pretty obvious and kind of an outlier. One thing Russ had going for him was that he had been playing at a high level for a long time and it only ended up badly because he believed his own hype. One thing I will say is RW is a far better passer than Lamar will ever be. I think, as most guys on here have said, that inability to improve his passing game has teams worried about giving up so much for him. Fwiw, I'm not saying there isn't something to what you say about collusion here. Just that Lamar is going to put some teams off and most GMs have seen enough of him in Baltimore to know that he likely isn't worth as much as people think. I just don't think they need to do some "deep dive" into him before making this decision. Like you though, it does bother me a little that they publicly would come out and say it.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All ravens have to do is draft Richardson to replace LJ. They’ll have a younger, more athletic version, with the possibility of a better passer. Also he may be able to speak a complete sentence

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno Smith got $35M. Daniel Jones got $45M.

Lamar is way better than both on one leg. If the Jets offer him 5/$50M per, yjr Raven don't have to trade him, just offer him the same and thank the jets for doing all of the leg work.

The reason that teams aren't trying to do anything is that they know it's waste of their time. If Woody starts feeling blood in his groin and offers him 5/$300M, the Ravens might balk.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno Smith got $35M. Daniel Jones got $45M.

Lamar is way better than both on one leg. If the Jets offer him 5/$50M per, yjr Raven don't have to trade him, just offer him the same and thank the jets for doing all of the leg work.

The reason that teams aren't trying to do anything is that they know it's waste of their time. If Woody starts feeling blood in his groin and offers him 5/$300M, the Ravens might balk.
Well, that's wrong. Jones' deal is structured in a way that he likely never gets anywhere near that full dollar amount. It's actually around mid 30s which is still a little high but not as bad as people think. He might see 40+ in 5 years if he's lucky. Geno has 30 mil in incentives on his deal so in reality, his base is 25 avy and 28 mil for this year. Well under the FT of 32 mil. If he earns those incentives, it means he plays lights out and the team does well. Not a bad thing as they develop the QB of the future.
I agree that it's a waste of a team's time to persue Lamar unless they do something crazy like 6 years which nobody will do given his injury concerns and style of play. I think the Ravens know exactly what they are doing here and yes, letting other teams set the market to give them all the leverage. This does strain the relationship between the two sides though. Fwiw, Lamar is really stupid not to have an agent. He isn't going to get what he wants in all of this.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With his injury history and the way he plays, he HAS to consider how much guaranteed money his next contract is going to grant. That's just him and his agent looing out for Lamar's best interest.

But it's also the same reason that teams are reluctant to give him so much guaranteed money. It's a tough sitch for the young man.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying but the RW trade was a monumental overpay by the Broncos that was pretty obvious and kind of an outlier. One thing Russ had going for him was that he had been playing at a high level for a long time and it only ended up badly because he believed his own hype. One thing I will say is RW is a far better passer than Lamar will ever be. I think, as most guys on here have said, that inability to improve his passing game has teams worried about giving up so much for him. Fwiw, I'm not saying there isn't something to what you say about collusion here. Just that Lamar is going to put some teams off and most GMs have seen enough of him in Baltimore to know that he likely isn't worth as much as people think. I just don't think they need to do some "deep dive" into him before making this decision. Like you though, it does bother me a little that they publicly would come out and say it.
Where we differ is that you seem to believe that “QB Desperation” is an anomaly and I think that condition is the norm. In any given year, you have at least 6-12 teams who are QB desperate and a candidate for an overpay to make it happen. It just seems really fishy to me the quickness with which teams announced they wouldn’t be kicking the tires on Jackson.

Coily1

Reported to Moderḁtors
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,007.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of things going on:

1. This is how negotiation happens nowadays. The Ravens are leaking the other teams' lack of interest, to strengthen their bargaining position. Derek Carr signed a 4 yr / $150M and Daniel Jones is going to get a multi-year, $40-45M/yr deal, so it takes away potential landing spots for Jackson and whatever passes for his representation.

2. The Ravens are still negotiating with Jackson behind the scenes. Unlike most NFL teams, the Ravens had a competent backup in Tyler Huntley the last few years, though he is an RFA right now, and it's unlikely Baltimore can sign him cheaply. So the front office is looking for continuity and competency, all for an affordable price. There's no scenario where the team doesn't have to shed salary elsewhere, in order to get its #1 & 2 QBs.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely different from if he was a free agent.
1. Two First round picks.
2. He's negotiating for himself with no agent. Means it's personal not business.
3. Two years they've been trying to get him resigned and no deal was done, so it's not gonna be a simple negotiation.
4. If you put in all that time and effort to sign him to a contract and already decided to give up your 2 first round picks. Then Baltimore swoops in and just says thanks for figuring out a contract for me.
5. Even if you sign him, most teams would have to rework their whole offense. He's not a pocket passer.
I probably wasn't as clear in my reply - but point #1 was about the cap space. OP said they would have to figure out the cap space for a contract, and my point was that's a fact of the matter whether they "trade" for him here with a contract/picks or if in F/A. Team has to make room, which can easily be done.

#2 - That's his own choice. So, he gets no sympathy here. He should hire an agent. It clearly has not worked out well for him thus far. If not, then he can't complain too much.

#3 - Never said it was going to be simple, but even in F/A - contracts can be tough cookies. LJ and the Ravens actually have an advantage of having worked on this for years up to this point.

#4 - Same can be said for any F/A signing. We've seen guys "agree" early, and then actually spurn that team and sign somewhere else. Again, no different than F/A.

#5 - This is true regardless of now, next year, or in 2 years. Either now with "trade" or in actual "F/A".

Again - this process is way more like F/A than not. It's not exactly the same, no - but by and large, the structure is very, very similar and in some ways advantageous to both the player and the teams.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judging by his tweets he is a regular modern day Poe
Out of curiosity - I took an online "practice" wonderlic test...

Just flipped through the test, not taking it too seriously and got a 33....

You have to try really, really hard to not at least get into the upper 20's.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems from what I read he wants is a fully guaranteed deal like Deshaun Watson in which they dont want to F up the market. Its already bad enough Daniel Jones is getting 160 mil and I am not sure if he even made the playoffs outside of this year.