• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Curious as to why some think Kaepernick isn't doing well

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I mean, it seems we're getting more production out of him than Alex. The only knock I can see is that they seem to be using Alex's vanilla playbook with him. I mean once the second half starts, it's run, run, pass. He's like 2% shy of Alex's completion rating, he throws just as many completions each game but the avg pass is twice the distance as Alex's average. He isn't afraid to throw the ball longer than 13yds and is damn good at it too. Kaep only has one pick and it was a desperation pass. And the run game seems to be better since defense can't play so damn close. I just haven't seen Kaep not be able to do something that Alex could do. It seemed like last year was Alex's peak. I don't think he'll ever be better than that. I mean I'm not trying to start an Alex vs Kaep thing here. I just keep hearing people all over talking about "well they could go back to Alex." Does anybody have a reason why? And I mean I think it's been pretty obvious that this is how Harbaugh wanted it anyway.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, it seems we're getting more production out of him than Alex. The only knock I can see is that they seem to be using Alex's vanilla playbook with him. I mean once the second half starts, it's run, run, pass. He's like 2% shy of Alex's completion rating, he throws just as many completions each game but the avg pass is twice the distance as Alex's average. He isn't afraid to throw the ball longer than 13yds and is damn good at it too. Kaep only has one pick and it was a desperation pass. And the run game seems to be better since defense can't play so damn close. I just haven't seen Kaep not be able to do something that Alex could do. It seemed like last year was Alex's peak. I don't think he'll ever be better than that. I mean I'm not trying to start an Alex vs Kaep thing here. I just keep hearing people all over talking about "well they could go back to Alex." Does anybody have a reason why? And I mean I think it's been pretty obvious that this is how Harbaugh wanted it anyway.

We aren't, but I don't think its any worse. They just seem to have lost a little of the identity of the offense. Kaepernick is doing better than I expected to tell you the truth. The playcalling with him in there seems a little more haphazard.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We aren't, but I don't think its any worse. They just seem to have lost a little of the identity of the offense. Kaepernick is doing better than I expected to tell you the truth. The playcalling with him in there seems a little more haphazard.

He seems to be though. I mean, take out the Buffalo game (I think any QB would've gone off) and you won't find him with a better 3 game set than Kaep. The first three games are close but then Alex has a few fumbles.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are getting less TDs from the QB with Kap. Plays aren't being relayed from the QB to the rest of the offense in time. Ball protection when getting sacked has me worried every time. The play calling has altered with him at the helm and it isn't making me all warm and cozy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
smith was peaking this season, not last yr

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people expected a seamless transition from a quarterback who is very smart, safe and conservative to a fault, looks for the checkdowns too quickly, and while athletic not a burner --- to a quarterback who can run with the best of them, has a gunslinger mentality, a canon for an arm, and probably looks downfield first and doesn't go to his checkdowns quickly enough. I think the team and Kaepernick is doing fine under those circumstances.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are getting less TDs from the QB with Kap. Plays aren't being relayed from the QB to the rest of the offense in time. Ball protection when getting sacked has me worried every time. The play calling has altered with him at the helm and it isn't making me all warm and cozy.

That's a big issue. You can get around it against a team like Miami but it killed them against the Rams and will do so in the playoffs as well should they get there.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people expected a seamless transition from a quarterback who is very smart, safe and conservative to a fault, looks for the checkdowns too quickly, and while athletic not a burner --- to a quarterback who can run with the best of them, has a gunslinger mentality, a canon for an arm, and probably looks downfield first and doesn't go to his checkdowns quickly enough. I think the team and Kaepernick is doing fine under those circumstances.[/QUOTE]

Kaepernick is doing enough to win with the team around him. I think it will be ugly in New England Sunday night though unless the D comes up with some TOs and perhaps a score or two.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect our D to hold the Pats to 24 or less. Can our offense best that?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yup... which is surprising bcuz with the switch to Kaep, we as fans were expecting more TD throws(but we are getting some big plays though on 3rd down it seems like).

Ball protection is scary right now, i'm going to leave it at that....

and i hate the read option.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect our D to hold the Pats to 24 or less. Can our offense best that?

They haven't done it yet without help from the D and Special Teams. I think 24 points is a reasonable goal for the Defense. Bellichick has something up his sleeve for Kaepernick, as he does for every offfense he faces, so we'll see how Roman and Kaepernick respond to whatever that surprise is. If they continue to bang their heads against the wall saying "this is the 49er way" then we are in trouble.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NE defense is definitely going to be changing it up at the end of clock to force Kaep to react and get those delay of games.....

The deep threat is there, IF we can get MM for this game, BIG difference there for us....

Hopefully LMJ can get some space and turn on the burn

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NE defense is definitely going to be changing it up at the end of clock to force Kaep to react and get those delay of games.....

The deep threat is there, IF we can get MM for this game, BIG difference there for us....

Hopefully LMJ can get some space and turn on the burn

One thing I would lve to see the 49ers do is spread the field and then run the ball out of those formations.

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Hopefully they can get the call and line up much sooner than the past couple weeks. Burning time outs to avoid multiple delays of game isn't going to cut it in the playoffs. There have been at least a couple times where Kap tried to do an audible due to what the defense showed but was unable to get the snap off before having the TO called. Unfortunately it also seemed like he called an audible run that went right into a blitzing linebacker. Overall the offense has much more of an x factor with Kap in the game, with a higher ceiling of yards per completion and QB rushing yards with a higher risk of turning the ball over.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Or run a play action out of that heavy set.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about the "avg pass is twice the distance as Alex's average" - that sounds like as much of an exaggeration as those who are exaggerating Kaep's turnover afinity. A few deep passes are doing the same thing as one bad pitch - making it seem drastically different. For example, I read something about the average distance through the air with Kaep was 5 or 6 point something against the Rams - and that's with the 30 yarder to Crabtree. I don't think there were a lot of deeper throws in the Dolphins game, just the flea flicker. I think this is on the coaching staff for the play-calling and conservatism, not Kaep but I don't think it's double. Does anyone have any stats that show that this conservative offense is allowing Kaep's "avg pass [to be] twice the distance as Alex's average?"

Note, this is different than being twice as willing to throw deeper or riskier passes, even though since he was named starter (with Alex cleared), he hasn't taken many shots (smartly most of the time). The defenses we have faced have a different strategy with Kaep - we just need to respond.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully they can get the call and line up much sooner than the past couple weeks. Burning time outs to avoid multiple delays of game isn't going to cut it in the playoffs. There have been at least a couple times where Kap tried to do an audible due to what the defense showed but was unable to get the snap off before having the TO called. Unfortunately it also seemed like he called an audible run that went right into a blitzing linebacker. Overall the offense has much more of an x factor with Kap in the game, with a higher ceiling of yards per completion and QB rushing yards with a higher risk of turning the ball over.

well thats on Kaep.

I think harbs said the playcall is coming in at a good time, it takes Kaep awhile to speed up the call and snap. Then if he audibles, it takes 4everrrrrrrrrr

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I would lve to see the 49ers do is spread the field and then run the ball out of those formations.

we rarely spread the field....(and i think that would play into their hands, i think the Pats D plays nickel a lot)

I do want to take some deep shots though... stretch that secondary.