• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Crosby out 2 games for hit in Boston Game

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure they did. Its not like they recently allowed a player who took a big hit to the head go out and finish the game and now the player has missed almost two weeks with a concussion. They have a top notch staff.

I hate the staff right now. They learned absolutely zero from Sid's situation. The only reason Sid's out right now is likely due to his MDs, not the trainers and team Doc. In my opinion, they've screwed up with the same injury a few times now. Letting Letang play in that situation was complete idiocy. It was overtime, I know they didn't have enough time to monitor his head.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus Christ, he's not scared of the fucking Flyers. If anything I think the fact that it was specific leads me to be optimistic. I don't think they would risk a debacle like last year - "He'll be out a week" - so this seems extremely precautionary. And why not? It's two fucking games in December. Wait and see if anything lingers rather than throw him into the fire for two relatively meaningless games.

I hate reading these threads. I don't know why I came into this one. You can tell that a lot of rival fans are giddily hoping that he doesn't play another game as they enthusiastically discuss the possibility of the end of his career.

Of course he isn't scared of us. For all the good natured/terribly jealous trash talk we throw at him, he's a solid hockey player, not one of those MLB guys who sleeps on their arm funny and misses a month. I was referencing awaz's post which I also quoted and was also sarcastic in nature. Let's calm down a bit, Loki. I'm not trying to stir up shit.

And about me hoping he doesn't play ever again? Fuck that. He's bad for my team but great for the sport and hockey is better for having him in it. But let's make this quite clear. He got a concussion test for a KNEE TO KNEE HIT. If he's so delicate at this point that that sort of thing gives him a concussion he should never see an NHL rink again, because he'll get himself killed. I understand precautions and playing it safe. At the same time, I can't figure out why a guy would miss two games for a knee hit for anything other than a knee injury.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it's worth, TSN specualted last night it was actually this hit on the first shift of the game instead of the Kunitz hit.

Last edited by a moderator:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure they did. Its not like they recently allowed a player who took a big hit to the head go out and finish the game and now the player has missed almost two weeks with a concussion. They have a top notch staff.

Very Funny......but I can't remember did Letang go to the "quiet" room after the hit?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very Funny......but I can't remember did Letang go to the "quiet" room after the hit?

I don't think that's even a protocol or requirement anymore...Put it this way, it seems to be optional.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Letang missed probably 15 minutes of "real time" in the game. Injury occurred very late in the game (3 minutes remaining). Then OT he was back on the ice. THAT is not enough time for a proper concussion exam. Here's what I've been taught: once a player takes a hit like that you assume concussion until something proves otherwise. You assess the players mental and physical state, ask them questions about how they're feeling (headache, dizziness, nausea, lightheaded, tinnitis being appropriate signs to at least hold them out), then there is a list of tests you do to test the cranial nerves. It involves testing pupil reaction, eye tracking, long and short term memory, sense of taste, hearing, and some other weird ones that test facial nerves (puffing out cheeks, sticking out tongue, etc.). That alone should take 15 minutes, then you add to that waiting to see what happens to the players symptoms. I can say with 100% certainty that Letang had a headache after that hit, and allowing him to return with such a symptom shouldn't be allowed. Also, add to that the fact that Letang got his nose re-aligned/looked at, which adds another 5 minutes. No way an appropriate concussion test was done. None. Zero. Zilch. Now, it's easy to fault the team trainer in this instance, but a lot of this falls on team Docs. We had a game this season where a player was CLEARLY concussed, but the MD looked at him, sat him out for 5 minutes, and let him back in. We asked this player to count backwards from 100 by 7's and he couldn't do it if his life depended on it, said "I can't focus". That's a cardinal sign of a concussion, but he was allowed to return to play. Asinine. A lot of non-sport focused MDs (not necessarily relevant to the NHL/major leagues here) don't care much about these "mild" concussions, because the concussions they're used to have to be proven by CT scans and show up on one, when many don't. And wow I just ranted a lot.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Letang missed probably 15 minutes of "real time" in the game. Injury occurred very late in the game (3 minutes remaining). Then OT he was back on the ice. THAT is not enough time for a proper concussion exam. Here's what I've been taught: once a player takes a hit like that you assume concussion until something proves otherwise. You assess the players mental and physical state, ask them questions about how they're feeling (headache, dizziness, nausea, lightheaded, tinnitis being appropriate signs to at least hold them out), then there is a list of tests you do to test the cranial nerves. It involves testing pupil reaction, eye tracking, long and short term memory, sense of taste, hearing, and some other weird ones that test facial nerves (puffing out cheeks, sticking out tongue, etc.). That alone should take 15 minutes, then you add to that waiting to see what happens to the players symptoms. I can say with 100% certainty that Letang had a headache after that hit, and allowing him to return with such a symptom shouldn't be allowed. Also, add to that the fact that Letang got his nose re-aligned/looked at, which adds another 5 minutes. No way an appropriate concussion test was done. None. Zero. Zilch. Now, it's easy to fault the team trainer in this instance, but a lot of this falls on team Docs. We had a game this season where a player was CLEARLY concussed, but the MD looked at him, sat him out for 5 minutes, and let him back in. We asked this player to count backwards from 100 by 7's and he couldn't do it if his life depended on it, said "I can't focus". That's a cardinal sign of a concussion, but he was allowed to return to play. Asinine. A lot of non-sport focused MDs (not necessarily relevant to the NHL/major leagues here) don't care much about these "mild" concussions, because the concussions they're used to have to be proven by CT scans and show up on one, when many don't. And wow I just ranted a lot.

Justifiably so, though. We all know that concussions can screw a player up, and the Pens more than most. They should be looking to upgrade their medical staff, because right now it seems like old school "No bones showing? Suck it up!"-style hockey players in a game too fast and physical to allow for that mentality.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justifiably so, though. We all know that concussions can screw a player up, and the Pens more than most. They should be looking to upgrade their medical staff, because right now it seems like old school "No bones showing? Suck it up!"-style hockey players in a game too fast and physical to allow for that mentality.

Yeah, and you have to ask "what is so important for him to be back on the ice?" The Pens aren't at risk of missing the playoffs. It's still early in the season. The situation shouldn't change the medical procedure to treat the player, but with so little on the line in an early regular season game, you have to think if anything that would be even MORE incentive to not endanger the player's health.

Somebody needs to get fired there.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Assume it's a concussion until proven otherwise"

Really?

I'm not sure I agree with that. I also think we're being a little too tough on the doctors / trainers back there. How can you say with 100% certainty that they didn't do proper tests in the back, and that Letang had a headache?

Look at it from the doctors point of view. They know he took a hard hit and his nose is mashed up. Suppose they do a few tests and nothing pops up. Do you still hold him out of the game? Are we going to sit players out for the rest of the game every time they get their face re-arranged?

In fact, should a player sit out the rest of the game after a fight, just as a precaution?

Any time a puck hits them in the face?

iceking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Lindros got six more years after his first.

Although his decline was rather sharp after the second.

I'm not saying it's the end of the line for Sid. I am saying those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. He came back after the classic and it's already cost him a year.

Very true!

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Assume it's a concussion until proven otherwise"

Really?

I'm not sure I agree with that. I also think we're being a little too tough on the doctors / trainers back there. How can you say with 100% certainty that they didn't do proper tests in the back, and that Letang had a headache?

Look at it from the doctors point of view. They know he took a hard hit and his nose is mashed up. Suppose they do a few tests and nothing pops up. Do you still hold him out of the game? Are we going to sit players out for the rest of the game every time they get their face re-arranged?

In fact, should a player sit out the rest of the game after a fight, just as a precaution?

Any time a puck hits them in the face?

I know he had a headache, because even if he wasn't concussed, he'd have one from breaking his nose. And they could've done tests, but my point is there's a time line that you have to follow. You need to sit them out at least 20 minutes (which was about the amount of real time he was out, but they gave him stitches and realigned his nose). My point is this: if a player takes a hit like that, it's very very very likely that they sustained a head injury. It's more likely than not. Because of that you need to be on your toes looking for certain signs, watching how they're carrying themselves. I'm not saying I know for certain that Letang displayed multiple symptoms, and in regards to taking the IMPACT test at that time, you wouldn't. Because if they were concussed it's laboring the brain a lot. I'm conservative when it comes to head stuff, because I've seen first hand what a bad concussion does to a person. It ruins their life for a few weeks. Because of that, and the fact that it was a early season game, and the history that the staff already has now, I'd hold him out. I'm very interested to be in that situation though, just to be a fly on the wall when the MD makes the choice to let them back in. My theory is that these guys just can't say "no" to the players in boarderline situations. Also, in regards to the getting hit in the face with a puck, yeah, I'd hold out guys a lot more than they do...sometimes I think ATs/MDs are so preoccupied with stitching them up and whatnot, that they forget to even test for concussions. Like I said, I'm conservative in this regard. I'm a fan on most days, but when I'm in AT mode my priority is that players health, NOT THE TEAM WINNING.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only person who hopes Crosby doesn't ever play (or isn't the same) again? Is that wrong?

I don't wish him ill health and hope he lives a long, happy life. I don't wish for guys to TRY to hit him and injure him. I don't keep voodoo dolls of him that I stick with pins or yell at the TV for someone to head shot him. But he's on a rival team. I hate the guy, even if I respect his abilities. I hope this dogs him for the rest of his hockey career and he leaves the game early. Sorry, just how I feel. To me, that's being a fan.

Do others feel that way? Do people think it's wrong to feel that way? I'm just curious.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only person who hopes Crosby doesn't ever play (or isn't the same) again? Is that wrong?

I don't wish him ill health and hope he lives a long, happy life. I don't wish for guys to TRY to hit him and injure him. I don't keep voodoo dolls of him that I stick with pins or yell at the TV for someone to head shot him. But he's on a rival team. I hate the guy, even if I respect his abilities. I hope this dogs him for the rest of his hockey career and he leaves the game early. Sorry, just how I feel. To me, that's being a fan.

Do others feel that way? Do people think it's wrong to feel that way? I'm just curious.

I would rather see my team stomp him in the SCF while he's at the peak of his game than watch a shadow of his former self skulk around the ice being scared of every loud noise.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean, I respect your reasoning I suppose...but I even hate watching Ovie in a slump. I enjoy the game of hockey first, then my team.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather see my team stomp him in the SCF

That's a little bit difficult for my team to do. Haha. Yeah, it would be great to beat him, but I care less about getting past the Pens specifically and more about winning the Cup. The less obstacles, the more possible that would be.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nah, I don't feel that way, and this comes from a guy who saw Gretzky break the Flames hearts on numerous occasions in the 80s. Players like Crosby (generational players) don't come around very often and from my perspective, you want to see them have a long and successful career.

I can definitely see your point of view eloco, but when the Flames finally beat the Oilers in that epic series (Steve Smith scoring into his own net in game 7), it was a very satisfying moment because they finally slayed that dragon and there were no excuses (i.e. the Oilers weren't missing any of their key players). Those are the moments you never forget.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I respect your reasoning I suppose...but I even hate watching Ovie in a slump. I enjoy the game of hockey first, then my team.

Fair enough. I guess that's a difference - I'm a Capitals' fan before I'm a hockey fan. I'll watch other hockey games (especially during the playoffs) and enjoy them, but it's not quite the same w/out that emotional element of my team being involved.

Judging by Twitter, comments on the internet, etc., P66, you are one of the Pens' fans not actively cheering in OV's slump. ;) Not that I blame them or am surprised.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, I don't feel that way, and this comes from a guy who saw Gretzky break the Flames hearts on numerous occasions in the 80s. Players like Crosby (generational players) don't come around very often and from my perspective, you want to see them have a long and successful career.

I can definitely see your point of view eloco, but when the Flames finally beat the Oilers in that epic series (Steve Smith scoring into his own net in game 7), it was a very satisfying moment because they finally slayed that dragon and there were no excuses (i.e. the Oilers weren't missing any of their key players). Those are the moments you never forget.

Yeah, I agree with you and Shack that beating that rival would be IDEAL, but our bar in Capsland is set WAY below ideal. ;)

Appreciate the responses.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm torn on this. As a hockey fan, I loved when Ovechkin was scoring goals of the likes we'd never seen - thinking of the spin-and-bank-off-the-boards and fall-on-your-back-and-sweep-it-in goals in particular. Those were amazing years to watch hockey. But, at the same time, as a Pens fan, I love watching him slump for two reasons: one, he's less of a threat to the Pens, and two, he's not getting compared to Crosby as often these days. (In that order.)

The one thing is, while I like seeing rivals slump, I don't know if I like seeing them slump due to injury. I hated Lindros, and at first was happy concussions had slowed him down, but after a while, and especially looking back, I feel cheated. We missed seeing a player who could have pontentially dominated the NHL.