• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Crosby and Malkin Better Not Escape Criticism

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
HIS SHITTY STATS ARE WHY HE IS NOT WORTH 5 MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS NOT THAT HARD A CONCEPT

Okay, well I disagree. He had a down year, but he always seems to get the wins. I know people will say that's just a product of the team, but whatever. I could see wanting to pay him a little less ($4 range?) I'd rather overpay someone for how they play in the playoffs ('08 and '09) than overpay someone for regular season heroics (Luongo, Semin).

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think I will be able to bring myself to listen to sports radio today in Pittsburgh, as my tolerance for idiocy is low at the moment. I'm guessing everyone will blame MAF.

Let's first point out the obvious that Montreal played very well, so while there is certainly criticisms to be made, the Habs played a hell of a series and deserve all of the accolades bestowed upon them.

Okay now:

Crosby: One goal in the Montreal series. Sure he had the best defensive players against him, but doesn't he every game? Didn't AO see the same defensive pairings and end up with five goals and ten points on the series (granted that he has Nicklas Backstrom with him, but still)? Sid has to fight through that; he has to hide his frustration better. In the end, he was playing right into their hands, and I'm sure they got into his head with it. Overall a below average showing.

Malkin: What the fuck? No really, what the fuck? At least give Crosby points for completely dominating one series; Malkin had a decent showing against Ottawa, but his overall playoff performance was pisspoor. Some people say it's not fair to compare him with Sid (point-for-point, especially when Sid was playing so well in Ottawa); however, they both make $8.7 million. Malkin was absolutely awful last night (I don't think I've ever seen that many giveaways on the PP in my life), which capped off an extremely underwhelming playoff performance for #71. The guy has legit consistency issues. Let's not forget that he was facing 2nd-rate D pairings most of the time (and with Montreal's defensive injuries, this was often a pretty big dropoff).

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malkin....3 even strength points in 13 playoff games. Unacceptable.

I agree 100% about Fleury. Anybody who blames him for last nights loss needs their heads examined. 1st goal on him, 2nd goal on Gonchar, 3rd goal on both Letang and Eaton leaving Kunitz alone in the defensive zone to move the puck up ice. What the fuck were they thinking/doing? 4th goal Gonchar again. Here you go Mr. Moen, i constructed this nice path for you to take straight to the net.

This still stings, worse the next morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can't believe the Crosby didn't "will" his team to victory. That is what I blame him for, lol.

But seriously, this is most likely going to bring up the scoring winger debate again, which I myself am thinking about.

The Habs did what they needed to do in order to win and that was shutdown Crosby and Malkin. Their plan worked well.

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can't believe the Crosby didn't "will" his team to victory. That is what I blame him for, lol.

But seriously, this is most likely going to bring up the scoring winger debate again, which I myself am thinking about.

The Habs did what they needed to do in order to win and that was shutdown Crosby and Malkin. Their plan worked well.

I think there's a line there though...like how much credit do you give to the Habs and how much blame do you place on your stars? I'm not saying that the Habs don't deserve credit, but if you're THAT good, you find a way to make it happen. Staal on a pegleg looked better than Malkin for most of that series.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think there's a line there though...like how much credit do you give to the Habs and how much blame do you place on your stars? I'm not saying that the Habs don't deserve credit, but if you're THAT good, you find a way to make it happen. Staal on a pegleg looked better than Malkin for most of that series.

I think the thing with Crosby and Malkin is that if you can frustrate them, you have them off their game. They are both still young enough that it really bothers them and then they try too hard to do something and it ends up hurting the team. Malkin trying to skate through the team twice in order to get a shot on net.

And all the fancy passing by the Pens was too much to watch. That was Montreal getting in their heads last night and throughout the series. Over passing when they are frustrated to try and get the fancy goal.

As good as Montreal was, Pittsburgh was also bad.

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I haven't really heard anyone go after him directly, but I have heard some some hidden potshots during interviews. Such as asking "Was this just Montreal buying into their system and having confidence, blah, blah" but it came out like "Why don't YOU guys buy into your system and play with confidence, blah, blah"

ROOLZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

They did the same against the Caps. Sure OV had a few goals, but by and large the Habs made sure him and Semin we're neutralized, and nobody else stepped up.

But you could really say halak stole both series.

ELYEAH82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I guess I am going to disagree on the Fleury point. The Habs counted on their goalie to make the saves that Fleury didnt. He was by far outplayed in this series by the other goalie. Just think of how bad the games would be if the shot totals were reversed.

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I guess I am going to disagree on the Fleury point. The Habs counted on their goalie to make the saves that Fleury didnt. He was by far outplayed in this series by the other goalie. Just think of how bad the games would be if the shot totals were reversed.

Imagine how bad the games would be if Montreal's D played like ours.

ELYEAH82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Imagine how bad the games would be if Montreal's D played like ours.

Lets not act as if Fleury was good during the season. His stats were trash, and considering he is a top 5 paid goalie and not even a top 10 goalie in stats, he needs to shoulder some blame.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Habs blocked 26 shots last night, penguins 3. Habs 0 giveaways, pens 12. Pin this loss on the d and forwards, not fleury.

ELYEAH82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Habs blocked 26 shots last night, penguins 3. Habs 0 giveaways, pens 12. Pin this loss on the d and forwards, not fleury.

I am looking at more than one game. If you think Fleury was good, then you have watched a mediocre goalie for to long.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am looking at more than one game. If you think Fleury was good, then you have watched a mediocre goalie for to long.

I agree with fleury having a down year, but game 7 was not on him and anybody who thinks otherwise is insane.

ELYEAH82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with fleury having a down year, but game 7 was not on him and anybody who thinks otherwise is insane.

I dont think the goals he gave up were terrible, but I expect a top 5 goalie to make atleast half of the saves he missed last night which cuts a 4 goal lead to 2. The defense was bad especially Gonchar (Good Riddance). But for 5 mill a season, he is way overpaid right now.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think the goals he gave up were terrible, but I expect a top 5 goalie to make atleast half of the saves he missed last night which cuts a 4 goal lead to 2. The defense was bad especially Gonchar (Good Riddance). But for 5 mill a season, he is way overpaid right now.

Fair enough.

Agree on gonch, let him walk. Along with Guerin, Poni, Feds.

Try to bring back Cooke, Eaton. Buy out Godard's remaining year. Give Letestu, Tangradi, Johnson, and Jeffrey a shot to make the team. Maybe Despres is ready. Will be an interesting summer with how things shake out.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good call elyeah, forgot about him. Just dont pair him with Goligoski anymore....

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree with most of the OP... other than not blaming Fleury as well, or the most. Since Fleury has come into the league, he let his first shot he faced in, against the Kings, I was there. It seems to be a trend for him. TOO many times does he give up a goal on the first shot, within 1 minute of a period, or in the last minute of the period. I noticed this trend along time ago and even posted about it on some sites, and I have been correct every time, well I guess 90+% since he does play for a good team, they bail him out. I loved the guy, I really did. I defended him last year when we won the cup but he had the lowest save% and GAA for a winnnig cup goalie in decades I believe. I truly believe he is the anti-brodeur now. Brodeur can made average teams great. Fleury makes great teams average.

I know there was turnovers and Gonch let the guy skate by (based on the calls in the game however, gonch was probably right in thinking if I touch him, I'll get a interfence call)... but still, a snap shot from mid circle with no traffic in front of the net, a champion goalie makes that save. That was a heart breaker.

The reason I am concerned, is because a defenseman is much easier to replace than a goalie. I seriously hope going into training camp, the goaltender position is up for grabs. Make Fleury prove himself again.

Regarding the trading of Malkin (bridging two threads into my one reply) Sid proved this series that he can be neutralized with an effective defensive pairing/game plan. It's series like this that the Pens need a Malkin. A dominate 2nd line center. Unfortunately, he never showed up. Staal would not be the answer either I do not think.

But I'll say it again, the problem starts in the goaltender position. When you put the team behind the 8-ball as much as he does, and I can not be the only one that sees his trend, he lets in an earlier goal, he's awful (after that first goal, I told my brother the only chance the Pens have is to put johnson in then)... but when he lets an earlier goal in, the confidence in the team has to be shaken, they do not have the forecheck like they normally would, in fear of creating an odd man rush against their goalie. And that is what happens... Fleury lets in an early first goal, the Pens alter their game.

ELYEAH82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thats is the reasoning on adding a center so the defense cant focus on the centers. I am sure the Habs would be content with letting every winger on the Pens beat them as long as it wasnt Sid or Geno. A line is not made up of one star and 2 throw ins.