• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowherd: just admit you're critical of Lebron because you're worried he's better than Jordan

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are more raw players today than perhaps ever before, but the good teams almost never rely on those guys to play significant minutes.

Lol @more raw players, but players still having higher basketball iq's overall. Nothing more than lol even needs to be said.

The basketball IQ of the seasoned vets is higher than ever before, and this is not even really debatable.

Actually, it's very debatable. In fact, it's closer to the opposite.

They are now professionals with nothing limiting their training time. Sure, their are not as many team practices in the NBA, but still plenty of opportunity for a motivated player to improve their skills and knowledge. Far more so than in college.

College is when these guys figure it out/are taught how to break down film, etc. In fact, college is when guys are made to do that because they have no choice. So, they come into the league already knowing how to do that instead of having to learn while also learning how to play in the NBA. Also, practice is where most of the learning happens.

Coaches today know more than coaches 20 years ago, and top players do too.

No, they don't. The game is the same game it has always been. They may play a different style, but it's still basketball. Coaches may have some advanced stats that help them know what guys to put in certain situations and what guys not to, but coaches in the 80's and 90's were able to figure that out too.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 year of college means that players are not as prepared for the league when they enter it.

But guess what prepares players for the NBA even better than college? The NBA.

It takes some awhile to figure it out, but it isn't like these guys are sitting on their couches instead of playing in college. They are now professionals with nothing limiting their training time. Sure, their are not as many team practices in the NBA, but still plenty of opportunity for a motivated player to improve their skills and knowledge. Far more so than in college.

Also, of course the good players today have higher basketball IQs. Coaches in the 90s had not figured this stuff out yet.

There are more raw players today than perhaps ever before, but the good teams almost never rely on those guys to play significant minutes. The basketball IQ of the seasoned vets is higher than ever before, and this is not even really debatable. Coaches today know more than coaches 20 years ago, and top players do too.

:L

Yes a one and done today prepares them more for the NBA than 3 years with Dean Smith or Coach K or any solid college coach. There is nothing humbling about a kid going to school for 1 year because he wants a pay check. Yeah that really prepares a player. Jordan was carrying upper classmens bags to and from the bus as a freshman.

More hilariousness. You said you coached girls bball huh?

These kids are going to the NBA with barely a bball IQ at all. Then they learn what isolation is, how to play D in the 4th Q, and how to shoot jumpers?

:pound:

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Or incredibly lucky to be playing in a horribly weak East. They would have been the 6 in the West.

Man that finals loss was impressive though. And getting there? What a tough road he had.

:dhd:

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordon did NOT walk away from basketball....he was facing gambling problems....Kraus let him TRY baseball for a while until the smoke cleared.

Then why did he come back when he wanted to and played right away and into the playoffs?

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron, Chris Paul, Draymond, Kawhi, and many many others have 'basketball IQs' as high as players back then.

Look, it's fine, you're one of those typical 'back in my day there were gods among men' people. And in 30 years there will be some great player and the 20 year olds then will say 'oh yeah This Guy is better than LeBron James was' and the 50 year olds then will say 'how dare you, they don't play defense like they did in the 2010s, these players today ain't shit'. Same as it ever was.

Or Ive just watched bball since the Lakers Celtics series and it is what it is. Today's game is watered down. And you don't know shit about bball

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol @more raw players, but players still having higher basketball iq's overall. Nothing more than lol even needs to be said.

College is when these guys figure it out/are taught how to break down film, etc. In fact, college is when guys are made to do that because they have no choice. So, they come into the league already knowing how to do that instead of having to learn while also learning how to play in the NBA. Also, practice is where most of the learning happens.

No, they don't. The game is the same game it has always been. They may play a different style, but it's still basketball. Coaches may have some advanced stats that help them know what guys to put in certain situations and what guys not to, but coaches in the 80's and 90's were able to figure that out too.

:lol: at coaches are better now than 20 years ago. He sure as hell ain't one of them.

The fundamentals are the same. Bucket is still 10' high. Defense will always win championships. NBA game is a different, but only difference in college is that players leave early. These kids learn a lot more while broke and running their ass off for coach K than they do in the pros after their first million. Not to mention the power college coaches have over players vs the power NBA coaches have over their players is not even close.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL nice try throwing that shade with your ghey avi

My AV turns you on huh? Butthurt from the Bay Area takes on an entire new meaning for u now

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My AV turns you on huh? Butthurt from the Bay Area takes on an entire new meaning for u now

Ha! Because I'm gay and I like to have sex in my butt! Oh man, you totally destroyed me there. :thumb:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This whole conversation was in the context of discussing the best teams of the era. Those teams do not have "raw" players in their rotations (aside from the occasional Javale McGee, but he isn't raw, just not that bright). So, yeah, higher basketball IQ on the top teams today than the top teams 20 year ago ago.

As for the coaches, you could not be more wrong. Every sport evolves as innovators make changes. If Red Auerbach was reincarted and coached today the exact same way he did in his heyday, he would get his butt kicked. He would be forced to adapt.

The NBA game has changed a lot over the last 20 years and top professionals today know more than top professionals 20 years ago because there is a lot more information available to them. This is true in every sport and just about every profession. TO suggest otherwise is a gross underestimate of human development.

I understand that people want the old days to be superior, but it just isn't true. Larry Bird acknowledged that the current era may be the best he has ever seen. As a 40 year old who grew up watching basketball in the late 80s, cheering him for Jordan throughout the 90s, I happen to agree with bird. Today's game is a thing of beauty.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole conversation was in the context of discussing the best teams of the era. Those teams do not have "raw" players in their rotations (aside from the occasional Javale McGee, but he isn't raw, just not that bright). So, yeah, higher basketball IQ on the top teams today than the top teams 20 year ago ago.

As for the coaches, you could not be more wrong. Every sport evolves as innovators make changes. If Red Auerbach was reincarted and coached today the exact same way he did in his heyday, he would get his butt kicked. He would be forced to adapt.

The NBA game has changed a lot over the last 20 years and top professionals today know more than top professionals 20 years ago because there is a lot more information available to them. This is true in every sport and just about every profession. TO suggest otherwise is a gross underestimate of human development.

I understand that people want the old days to be superior, but it just isn't true. Larry Bird acknowledged that the current era may be the best he has ever seen. As a 40 year old who grew up watching basketball in the late 80s, cheering him for Jordan throughout the 90s, I happen to agree with bird. Today's game is a thing of beauty.

Players now are bigger faster and stronger. This isn't even a debate. The average basketball player is 1 inch taller and 40 pounds heavier, stronger, and much faster. Game planning is much more advanced.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KD is a better shooter than Pippen. But not defender. Not even close

Pippen was an all around beast.

Game 5 1991 finals. go look it up

KD :lol:

So in order for jordone to win he needed someone better than Durant on his team?

:lol:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, yeah, higher basketball IQ on the top teams today than the top teams 20 year ago ago.

The basketball iq's are not higher today than 20 years ago. They may not be lower, but they aren't higher. Players 20 years ago came into the NBA with a higher basketball iq and the top players from back then had basketball iq's every bit as high as the top players today if not higher since they came in more prepared due to more time in college.

No, you couldn't be more wrong. The game has adapted for years. There have always been innovators and the best coaches always adapt to the new innovations. These offenses today that you think are so much more advanced and innovative are nothing more than the Showtime Lakers with more emphasis on the 3 point shot. The basic principals are exactly the same...spread the floor and move the ball to create open shots.

The game has not changed all that much. All of the basics are still the same. There is more information available, but that doesn't mean the game has changed. It's the same information, it's just available quicker. Coaches 20 years ago still managed to get all of the information they needed. it just wasn't at their fingertips all of the time like it is now.

And if today's players are so much more developed...why do they need so much more rest?

As a 50+ year old who has watched the game since 1970, it is the same game that was played in the 80's. It's just less physical and has more emphasis on the 3 point shot. In some ways the game is better and in some ways it's worse. Just because something seems new or different, doesn't mean it actually is when you take a longer look and it doesn't mean it's better.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 70.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why did he come back when he wanted to and played right away and into the playoffs?

He was banned for a year and a half, showed that his baseball playing the a joke. He wanted to retire to be with his family, then puts on a baseball uniform and is on the road again constantly.