• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys to Hire Mike McCarthy as HC

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers is having probably his worst statistical season ever.

13-3 is the second-greatest regular season record of his career.
4 interceptions is the second-fewest thrown of his career.
He threw for more yardage this year than the year he won the Super Bowl.

If you really look at the stats instead of making unsubstantiated generalizations, many of numbers are pretty on-par with his career averages. Having Aaron Jones finish drives has taken some fluff out of Rodgers TD totals this year and I've got no problem with that.

From this pair of eyes, I like this year's Rodgers better than last year's Rodgers because last year Rodgers tried to do too much by himself. He's been more of a team player this year.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13-3 is the second-greatest regular season record of his career.
4 interceptions is the second-fewest thrown of his career.
He threw for more yardage this year than the year he won the Super Bowl.

If you really look at the stats instead of making unsubstantiated generalizations, many of numbers are pretty on-par with his career averages. Having Aaron Jones finish drives has taken some fluff out of Rodgers TD totals this year and I've got no problem with that.

From this pair of eyes, I like this year's Rodgers better than last year's Rodgers because last year Rodgers tried to do too much by himself. He's been more of a team player this year.

62% completions is his second lowest of his starting career. 4.6% TD% is his second lowest of his starting career. Yards/attempt is his second lowest since his first full season as a starter. QBR is the lowest of his career. QB Rating is his second lowest since his first full season as a starter. None of these stats are way off his averages, but they do show a decline pretty much across the board. He's becoming a game manager under LaFleur.

Reactions: GNG

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
62% completions is his second lowest of his starting career. 4.6% TD% is his second lowest of his starting career. Yards/attempt is his second lowest since his first full season as a starter. QBR is the lowest of his career. QB Rating is his second lowest since his first full season as a starter. None of these stats are way off his averages, but they do show a decline pretty much across the board. He's becoming a game manager under LaFleur.

Those "declined" numbers cited this year are nearly identical to last year's numbers under McCarthy. My original comment questioned
In what ways have you seen Rodgers regress that can be attributed to coaching?
and a valid answer was not provided; just a generalization.

From this pair of eyes, I see a quarterback who is clearly past his prime and is legitimately morphing into a quality game manager. McCarthy needed "Superman" Rodgers for his offense to function. LaFleur seems to have tapped into "Game Manager" Rodgers better than McCarthy did.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those "declined" numbers cited this year are nearly identical to last year's numbers under McCarthy. My original comment questioned

From this pair of eyes, I see a quarterback who is clearly past his prime and is legitimately morphing into a quality game manager. McCarthy needed "Superman" Rodgers for his offense to function. LaFleur seems to have tapped into "Game Manager" Rodgers better than McCarthy did.

I think the major difference has been health at RB with Jones. Not sure that can be relied upon moving forward, but you have to hope he has turned that corner...

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rodgers is still a really good QB, he's just not the QB he was in his prime. His drop in numbers are probably due to being ~36/37 whatever it is. He also really only has one viable WR. Rodgers has flaws, even in his prime, but there are few times you still see old rodgers and just, how did he do that....of course, he also is more likely to throw a pass off target he used to complete in his sleep

MM system is outdated, so not sure. It relied on WR's winning one on one iso routes. Worked well when you had Jordy/Jennings/Jones along with Rodgers in their prime.....When it was Adams/injured cobb/some guys and Rodgers...didn't look as good. I don't think it's coincidence the MM coaching tree isn't legendary and MM's record was propped up by having Favre/Rodgers for majority of his HC career.

NFL-Solomon

The Father of The Potato Salad Poll Option
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarthy as Dallass's new coach? Mildly unpleasant news, but at least he isn't going to the Browns then.
The only mitigating thing is, he'll still have Jerry in his way of doing a good job.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These guys make nearly as much or more coaching CFB these days so I can see why Rhule is happy at Baylor, but it wasn't too long ago that David Shaw was a hot NFL HC prospect.

Now...not so much.

Point is strike while the iron is hot because it won't always be hot.

If Rhule wants to ever be an NFL head coach, then yeah, he will never be as hot as he is right now. There's virtually nowhere to go but down at Baylor, especially next year when he loses a lot of upperclassmen.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Rhule wants to ever be an NFL head coach, then yeah, he will never be as hot as he is right now. There's virtually nowhere to go but down at Baylor, especially next year when he loses a lot of upperclassmen.

Yep.

The thing is you can fail at the NFL and still get go back and get a pretty good gig at the CFB level. But to vault to that next tier in college or the pros...the window is not open forever. A couple of rough seasons and he's quickly forgotten.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he is hoping for switzer 2.0 since he already believes all the pieces are in place to win now....
That's not even a close comparison in so, so many ways...

Reactions: GNG

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

The thing is you can fail at the NFL and still get go back and get a pretty good gig at the CFB level. But to vault to that next tier in college or the pros...the window is not open forever. A couple of rough seasons and he's quickly forgotten.
I would love for him to stay at Baylor and build a consistent team, but the odds of that are slim. They'll never recruit as well as Oklahoma or Texas. They might have a couple of years like these past two, where they surprise lots of people, but no way they can sustain it at a smaller private university

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Rodgers pretty decidedly is not a top 5 QB anymore, imo.

But yeah, he probably should've been able to do more with how obscenely good Rodgers was at his peak.
Well other than one fantastic year how has Rodgers done without McCarthy calling plays and the first year after he left Rodgers had one of his worst years. Maybe this Rodgers vs McCarthy book isn't written yet...:noidea:

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Jerry was after the guy who beat him alot. 7-3 vs the 'Boys

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
As a casual observer of McCarthy, it seems like the game sorta passed him by.
The John Fox syndrome
I could be wrong but I doubt it

Kobrah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you take a HC that couldn't get an offense to run with the best QB in the league, and you put him with Dak the choker.

Should be interesting...

Couldn't get an offense to run by what metric? 2018 was the only bad year they had together, and that seems to be largely due to personality and philosophy conflict. Not to mention a decline in Rodgers play.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares. No dead cap for cutting a coach and Jerry doesn't care about spending money. He made like $100M on an IPO last year on top of everything else he has...

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers has thrown only 6 INT's the past 2 seasons combined. Almost 1200 passes with 6 INT's. I'd like him to manage the games for the Colts.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If out coaching the Cowboys was the criteria for getting the job the field would look like this:

mag_pe_ironbowl_1600x700.jpg