• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys to Hire Mike McCarthy as HC

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely want a DC that thinks like Wade. We need a more attacking style. It was why I wanted to look at Martindale as our HC. The issue is Wade is a 3-4 guy and I just don't know if that is going to be a good idea. On passing downs which is about half of the downs Wade plays a straight attacking 4-3 (or at least he did in Dallas) so no issue there. But on early downs are we set up to play a 3-4? It mostly comes down to Tank and if he can be a 3-4 OLB because you aren't switching to a defense that minimizes your best defender and he can't play DE in a 3-4. I won't go player by player or position by position here but I think the flexibility is probably there other than what you do with Lawrence and a couple of players that are poor fits. Although, we don't have a dominant 3 Tech to run Marinelli's 4-3 successfully any way, so maybe it doesn't matter as much as I am thinking.

I don't remember about Nolan. Does he run an aggressive, attacking defense?
I love the aggressive coach idea, I've never been a big 3-4 guy. One reason I wanted the SF DC as our HC is his aggressive nature.

I don't remember much about Nolans type of play.
I've tried to read up on him, but all I got was his defenses can be great and they can be he. Right now he's a ????? to me.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is exactly how I feel. I think JJ panicked and thought the Giants were about to sign him. I don't see any other way that not kicking the tires on a few other guys was the smart move. I'm happy with McCarthy, but think they were a little too impulsive
Like I've stated before, McCarthy's record at Green Bay was second only to Belichick's record at New England.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel McCarthy is the best coach available this year. He has a strong track record and is a QB guru.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Nolan is a really good DC....nice hire.

Reactions: GNG

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very Vanilla hire which I guess is what I kinda expected here

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones is one of the better RB's in the NFL.

Finally got the job largely to himself this year. Previously lost carries to competition and injuries. We'll see if he can keep it up, but things are looking good.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel McCarthy is the best coach available this year. He has a strong track record and is a QB guru.
I think this is the part the Cowboys are (and should) be focusing on with McCarthy. I think another year with Kitna as his QB coach and some fresh ideas from the top down, including an Offense built for him or at least geared towards his strengths could keep Dak at the level he achieved this past year and perhaps even get a little better.

The only thing lacking Offensively for Dallas this year was consistency and red zone play. If they clean up their poor running sets that still let everyone know what was coming and get away from those stupid deep, slow developing handoffs in the red zone and short yardage and the stupid dump offs on 3rd and 12 to players like Witten that have no chance to get a 1st down and stop abandoning the deep ball in important spots and games that allows the defense to keep everything in a tight box in front of them and still send a blitzer and focus on Jarwin as the #1 TE (who is a fantastic receiving TE) and finally get another TE who can actually block, they will already be better IMO...OK maybe there was more lacking than just a couple of things...:noidea: