• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys FA news/rumors

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see anyway that bringing in Chris Johnson would be a smart move for us and would be very surprised if that report is accurate. We have a top 10 RB and we have a good change of pace guy. Why waste what little cap space we have on him with our specific situation? Could he help our team? Sure, but I can't see how paying him helps us more than paying a player at another position where our needs are bigger. I never have a problem kicking the tires on a guy and if no one wants him and his price plummets then I'd be all for this signing. But, I want to see Dunbar get a lot more touches this year so it would need to be $2M or under for me to bite...

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see anyway that bringing in Chris Johnson would be a smart move for us and would be very surprised if that report is accurate. We have a top 10 RB and we have a good change of pace guy. Why waste what little cap space we have on him with our specific situation? Could he help our team? Sure, but I can't see how paying him helps us more than paying a player at another position where our needs are bigger. I never have a problem kicking the tires on a guy and if no one wants him and his price plummets then I'd be all for this signing. But, I want to see Dunbar get a lot more touches this year so it would need to be $2M or under for me to bite...

I think Johnson would be a nice injury insurance policy. I see no major need to bring him in. I agree he's worth having with a very low$ contract.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, I wonder if this is why the cowboys are not spending? I find the interest in Johnson surprising because the Cowboys are so pass happy

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jets appear to be the front runners for CJ, they have plenty of cap space. I wouldn't be opposed to CJ & we all know Jerry is itching to make a Splash....

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I would be all for signing Johnson if it meant the Cowboys were actually serious about becoming a running team again. You could use Murray and Johnson to keep our defense off the field. I also like the idea of using Melton on the goal line to run the ball in.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jets appear to be the front runners for CJ, they have plenty of cap space. I wouldn't be opposed to CJ & we all know Jerry is itching to make a Splash....

Definitely. I said this a while back. The Jets have a need and have money to spend. Really is a perfect fit if they could come to an agreement. In addition, their new GM is getting killed for doing "nothing" in the eyes of their fans. This would change that.

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely. I said this a while back. The Jets have a need and have money to spend. Really is a perfect fit if they could come to an agreement. In addition, their new GM is getting killed for doing "nothing" in the eyes of their fans. This would change that.

That would be the best fit for both. Johnson wants touches and Jets would surely give him them.

No thanks to Johnson here. I'd rather have the touches he would get go to Murray/Dunbar. Even if Murray goes down Randle/Dunbar could still work because of the team we are, a passing team.

Money could be used in a better spot.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, I wonder if this is why the cowboys are not spending? I find the interest in Johnson surprising because the Cowboys are so pass happy

:doh: So Dallas hasn't spent money on the off chance the Titans cut Johnson? Here's a novel idea. Maybe their not spending money because they don't have the ability to spend money do to the Cap that says they can't.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants, Cowboys, and Jets are expected to express interest in Chris Johnson once he's released.
Johnson is meeting with Titans GM Ruston Webster on Friday and is expected to be granted his release sometime today. The Jets have been linked to Johnson for a couple weeks now and we've heard the Cowboys mentioned as a possibility before, but this is the first time the Giants have been in the discussion. Gang Green easily has the most salary cap space of the three clubs.

:wtf2:
Man I hope this is just a writer talking out his ass. Nothing against CJ, but we dont need to pay for him. Murray is our #1 & he is already treated like a part time back on this offense. We dont need to stack them up like cords of wood. Non cap era. Sure Jerry. Go get all the big named FAs. This era. Screw that.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with you, as long as it's a one or two year deal. CJ of a couple of years ago is better Murray, let alone Dunbar lol. And the guy has missed like one game due to injury in the last 5 years. With a huge investment in Romo, continuing to improve the OL and running game is just common sense, provided they don't break the bank on him

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Titans released RB Chris Johnson.
The move has been in the works for weeks, if not months. The Titans save $6 million versus the cap and eat a $4 million dead money hit. Johnson isn't the same player as the one that rushed for 2,006 yards in 2009 and earned the moniker CJ2K, but he still has excellent speed and hasn't missed a game since his rookie season. There's no chance he'll find the $8 million salary he was scheduled to earn on the open market, but Johnson is easily the best back to hit free agency this offseason. He won't be a true No. 1 like he was in Tennessee, either. Johnson is merely a complementary piece to a backfield. Look for the Jets and Cowboys to show interest. The Patriots and Rams could also be in the mix.

havent really thought about it, but the rams would be a good mix for him. (think the Pats get tied into all FA's when released)

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports the Cowboys do not have interest in free agent Chris Johnson.
It's become increasingly apparent Dallas won't pursue Johnson despite early reports they might. The Dolphins, Jets, and Falcons appear to be the front-runners for CJ?K, while the Bills have interest but are not expected to land him.

Source: Clarence Hill on Twitter Apr 4 - 3:05 PM

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports the Cowboys do not have interest in free agent Chris Johnson.
It's become increasingly apparent Dallas won't pursue Johnson despite early reports they might. The Dolphins, Jets, and Falcons appear to be the front-runners for CJ?K, while the Bills have interest but are not expected to land him.

Source: Clarence Hill on Twitter Apr 4 - 3:05 PM
Whew!

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN's Todd Archer considers the Cowboys a possible landing spot for free agent S Steve Gregory.
The Cowboys currently have J.J. Wilcox, Jeff Heath and Matt Johnson as strong safety options, so Gregory could be a fit as a veteran to pair with FS Barry Church. Gregory started 11 games and made 79 tackles with the Patriots last season, grading out as a top-25 safety by Pro Football Focus. Dallas has roughly $6.42 million in cap space and could sign Gregory to a short-deal with little guaranteed money.

Source: ESPN.com Apr 11 -

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN's Todd Archer considers the Cowboys a possible landing spot for free agent S Steve Gregory.
The Cowboys currently have J.J. Wilcox, Jeff Heath and Matt Johnson as strong safety options, so Gregory could be a fit as a veteran to pair with FS Barry Church. Gregory started 11 games and made 79 tackles with the Patriots last season, grading out as a top-25 safety by Pro Football Focus. Dallas has roughly $6.42 million in cap space and could sign Gregory to a short-deal with little guaranteed money.

Source: ESPN.com Apr 11 -

If the Cowboys sign Gregory, I think there's no chance they go Safety in the 1st round. Also, while I'm not an advocate of it, I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that Jerry may be pining for WR Evans to drop to 16. Nothing to base it on except 25 years of watching Jerry love to make a splash.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Cowboys sign Gregory, I think there's no chance they go Safety in the 1st round. Also, while I'm not an advocate of it, I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that Jerry may be pining for WR Evans to drop to 16. Nothing to base it on except 25 years of watching Jerry love to make a splash.

I don't see Evans as a splash. Only splashes I can as possibilities are Manziel or a big trade up. Neither make sense so they are very much possible. I believe I'm in the minority but I like Evans. He gives the QB a nice target who you can throw the ball high where only Evans can catch it. Yes he's a slow WR but he catches everything and you don't need speed after you catch the ball in the end zone.

Please don't take this as me wanting Evans at 16. We have much bigger needs elsewhere.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Evans as a splash. Only splashes I can as possibilities are Manziel or a big trade up. Neither make sense so they are very much possible. I believe I'm in the minority but I like Evans. He gives the QB a nice target who you can throw the ball high where only Evans can catch it. Yes he's a slow WR but he catches everything and you don't need speed after you catch the ball in the end zone.

Please don't take this as me wanting Evans at 16. We have much bigger needs elsewhere.

I actually think you are right on the money. Evans isn't the guy I would want in round 1 either, but if he really turns out to be Vincent Jackson 2.0, I don't think anyone would be complaining about the pick this time next year

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL...That sounds like Jerry's draft day mantra...
I think you could make a drinking game on Jerry's draft style. Trade is a drink; Getting bent over on value on a trade is two drinks; Taking a TE in the 2nd round is 3 drinks; drafting a guy to play a position he never has and you finish your beer...

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephen has already been dishing out the praise for Manziel. Jerrah drafting Manziel would not surprise me, Jerrah seems to be addicted to being the center of attention when it comes to the media. Drafting Manziel would create major attention. I still don't see him trading up for Manziel,but if he were to fall to 16 I doubt the old fart could resist temptation. I also don't see many defensive lineman or safeties being worthy of of the 16th pick. I think a trade down is very likely. Leopards don't change their spots and I could also see him taking a guy like evans or lewan