• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

could pac 12 be best league?

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC's national championship streak may be alive and well, but that doesn't mean there's no room for debate over which is the best league in college football.
With six of the top 12 teams in the preseason Associated Press poll, the SEC had a clear edge in public opinion just three weeks ago, and it still leads the way with seven teams ranked in the top 25. But a contender to the throne is emerging. The Pac-12 has five teams ranked in the AP poll, six teams in the top 25 of the Sagarin Ratings and the best nonconference résumé of any league so far in the 2013 season.
Unlike the SEC, however, the Pac-12 may be too deep for its own good.

Best Conference Records

* Versus other FBS competition
ConferenceW-LWin PctPac-1216-3.842Big Ten21-8.724SEC15-6.714Big 1210-5.667ACC13-7.650

After three weeks, the Pac-12 has the best nonconference record against Football Bowl Subdivision competition at 16-3 (.842), and those three losses belong to Cal and Washington State, which were a combined 3-15 in league play last year. The conference with the second-best mark is the Big Ten at 21-8 (.724). Anyone who watched football Saturday knows how misleading that record is, even though Wisconsin deserved a better fate against Arizona State. But that's another story.
Next is the SEC at 15-6 (.714), which includes losses by two of its premier teams (Georgia and Florida) to the ACC. The Big 12, which had lost a total of seven regular-season games out of conference play over the previous two seasons, has already lost seven in 2013, including a couple to Football Championship Subdivision teams.
So the Pac-12 is on a roll and has an argument for being the best league in college football this year. Just three weeks into the season, eight Pac-12 teams have either been ranked or have beaten a ranked team. The question now is whether that depth might ultimately cost the conference a shot at the national championship.
The season began with most prognosticators believing the Pac-12 was a two-team race that would be decided by the Oregon-Stanford game on Nov. 7 rather than the conference title game on Dec. 7. But that's not so certain anymore. UCLA and Washington have emerged as two of the biggest early risers in the polls, and both teams play the Ducks and the Cardinal in October.
Also, Oregon must travel to Arizona in late November before its annual rivalry clash with Oregon State. In addition to facing Arizona State this weekend, Stanford has road trips to Oregon State and USC, not to mention a late November meeting with Notre Dame. Then there's that not-so-small matter of the Pac-12 championship tilt.
Those games not only increase the odds against the conference having a national showdown game in November, but they also lessen the chance that the Pac-12 will have an undefeated team at the end of the regular season. And that's where things could get tricky for national championship hopes.
No matter how good the Pac-12 might be this season, the conference probably isn't going to get the benefit of the doubt over the SEC, which has won every BCS title since 2006. That means the SEC champion, whether undefeated or with a single loss, is almost certain to be ranked ahead of a one-loss Pac-12 champ in the final BCS standings. And if there's an unbeaten squad from the ACC, Big Ten or Big 12 -- or maybe even Louisville -- the Pac-12's best team could be left out of the national championship game.
The out-of-conference strength of the league should greatly benefit its teams in the BCS computer rankings, but that may matter only if a Pac-12 team has the same number of losses as all other leading BCS contenders. In the polls, the edge among teams with similar records is likely to go to the SEC. Right or wrong, it's kind of an instinctive move for the voters after seven consecutive national titles for that league.
As long as Oregon and Stanford are cruising along without a blemish on their records, it's easy to feel good about the Pac-12's chances to be a factor in the 2013 national title race. But the longer teams like Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma State stay undefeated, the more the Pac-12 can't afford to see all its teams take a mark in the loss column.
With the conference being as competitive up top as any league in college football, that's much easier said than done.

pulled from espn

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didn't read yet... will tomorrow.

But oh shit.. Here we go.

#1 still SEC

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team SEC invasion in 3....2....1.....

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No SEC is #1, we all know this. #2-4 is up for debate, not #1.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC is better at the top, and there is not arguement imo. Top to bottom though, PAC 12 is the best overall. If you take bama off the top of the SEC i think PAC 12 is better, but I'm me, and who really give a fuck what i think?

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not really the very top that makes the SEC better than the Pac 12 right now imo. I don't know if I think Alabama and LSU are significantly better than Oregon and Stanford. It's that second group of "I -think- they're really good, too, but I'm not quite certain" that gives them the edge. The SEC throws out Georgia, aTm, South Carolina and Florida next to UCLA, Washington, ASU and I guess USC. Who wins, Georgia or UCLA? Aggy or Washington? South Carolina or ASU? Florida or USC? I think they'd be really interesting games, but I suspect the SEC would have a little bit of an edge.

Last edited by a moderator:

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC is better at the top, and there is not arguement imo. Top to bottom though, PAC 12 is the best overall. If you take bama off the top of the SEC i think PAC 12 is better, but I'm me, and who really give a fuck what i think?

Bama is the best team in the country and has been for the last few years, that's like taking Oregon from the Pac 12. Makes the league much weaker.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, the SEC just played tougher games so far is all.

But it is looking good for the Pac12 in terms of being an up year.

And there is no such thing as too deep for it's own good really. In conference games always end up being 1 loss and 1 win. Overall records are not affected.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem for the PAC is they don't get the exposure the SEC gets by being in the east media markets. People in the east are in bed when a lot of the PAC teams are playing.

If the east media can't swing from the B-one-G or Notre Dame's nut-sack, they have no choice but to gobble the SEC's knob.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC is still the top conference, but the gap between the SEC and the PAC-12 is not nearly as wide as some folks want to believe!!

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only one thing matters who win the NC. If you do not win, then you are not the best.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, until a PAC team can beat a SEC team when it really matters, then PAC is not number 1, as much as it pains me to say that.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having 1 team in the conference win the NC does NOT make the whole conference the best.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, Oly but having one of our top teams knock of their top team would lend some legitimacy to the argument that the PAC is a tough conference.