• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Doomsayers congregate here! (PAC-12 preview thread 2023)

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford

The first preview segment for the Pacific-12 Conference: The Stanford Cardinal

Last season: It was just a matter of time. Oh sure, David Shaw had taken Stanford to unprecedented heights during his tenure. But during the 2019, 2020, and 2021 seasons fans were getting annoyed with his lack of offensive zing. So they watched him carefully last year to see what he had left. Sadly, he had nothing left as the Cardinal went 3-9.
And so Shaw did the honorable thing and left so his school can properly rebuild. Now Troy Taylor (from Sacramento State) is here to lead the way.

Bad news: This looks like a total rebuilding project, as only 6 starters total are back from last year. Finding a strong starting QB and fixing the O-line is a must for Stanford's offense to get going. The back-7 of Stanford's defense is almost completely new.

Good news: It's not ALL bad over here; Stanford found some talented WR's in the transfer portal, and tight-end Benjamin Yurosek is a guy to watch. The kicking game is rock-solid.

Key games:
9/9 @ USC (Savor this one, folks; this may be the last time in a LONG while that Stanford and USC will face each other.)
9/16 vs. Sacramento State (Anytime a new head coach faces his former team, you have to take notice of it.)
9/23 vs. Arizona (If Stanford is able to put points on the board, they can surprise the resurgent Wildcats.)
10/21 vs. UCLA (And here's another in-state rival that Stanford won't see too much of in the future.)
11/18 vs. California (At least Stanford can count on their old buddies from Berkeley! The Cardinal are seeking revenge for last year's loss in this rivalry.)

Bottom line: All of these shocking events that has happened in college football over the last year? Stanford will cross those bridges when the time comes. Right now, they're more concerned with getting their program up and running again. Unless the offense surprises us, Stanford might be doomed to finish last in the final year of the PAC-12.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon

Preview segment: The Oregon Ducks

Last season: For the most part, 2022 was a good year for Oregon in Dan Lanning's 1st year as coach; Bo Nix became a true superstar QB, and Oregon would grab 10 wins once again. But defensive shortcomings would cost Oregon not only a CFP berth, but also a shot at the PAC-12 title. Right now, that is the goal for Oregon in 2023: Find a way to that title game in Las Vegas.

Good news: Bo Nix is back for one last go-around in Eugene, and some other strong runners will make Oregon's offense hard to stop. The defense should be better than it was last year, if the spring game was any indication.

Bad news: Trouble is, Oregon is relying on a group of transfers to lead the way; how much better will it really be? Improving the special teams will also be a focal point for the Ducks this year.

Key games:
9/9 @ Texas Tech (An easy "resume-builder" for Oregon? NOT! Texas Tech is looking really dangerous this year, so let's hope the Ducks defense can handle the challenge.)
10/14 @ Washington (Last year in Eugene, Michael Penix Jr. and the Huskies crippled Oregon's playoff chances. Now for the rematch in Seattle!)
10/28 @ Utah (Going to Salt Lake City to face the Utes? Never, EVER easy to do.)
11/11 vs. USC (In 3 of the last 4 seasons, Oregon have suffered playoff-killing losses in November. That might happen again if the Ducks allow Caleb Williams and USC to run wild.)
11/24 vs. Oregon State (The Ducks were up by 21 points against the Beavers last year... and ended up losing. I shudder about what could happen in this installment of their rivalry.)

Bottom line: We all know it; chaos is gonna rule the PAC-12 this season. And for Oregon, they're hoping that their defense will get better so that Bo Nix can take them to the conference title. I don't know if the Ducks can take the crown in 2023, but they WILL be right in the race until the end.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona

Preview segment: The Arizona Wildcats

Last season: Arizona didn't go bowling last year. So what?! 2022 was STILL a good year for them, as they improved their win total from 1 to 5. That included stopping North Dakota State's reign of terror against the FBS, upsetting UCLA, and beating Arizona State for the first time in years.

Good news: The lynchpin for that success (QB Jayden de Laura) is still here in Tucson. And so is almost everyone else on offense, including breakout TE Tanner McLachlan. If the O-line keeps it together, everyone in the PAC-12 have better watch out.

Bad news: Once again, Arizona's defense was shitty last year. And only 3 starters from that unit are back. Needless to say, the new defensive coordinator (Johnny Nansen) will have his hands full.

Key games:
9/9 @ Mississippi State (The game may be in Starkville, but it looks like Arizona will be able to pick on the Bulldogs' poor secondary.)
9/30 vs. Washington (A "shootout alert" will be in full effect when Jayden matches up with Michael Penix Jr. again.)
10/28 vs. Oregon State (Here's another chance for the Wildcats to get a big upset win for their program.)
11/4 vs. UCLA (More on this game when I preview UCLA tomorrow.)
11/25 @ Arizona State (Ah! Arizona must have felt so good when they defeated the Sun Devils for the first time in 6 years.)

Bottom line: This year, I'm fully expecting Arizona to continue the trend upwards and make a bowl for the first time since 2017. But a little piece of advice to coach Jedd Fisch: You wanna make the journey to a bowl easier? Make sure that the defense doesn't piss all over itself... AGAIN.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colorado

Preview segment: The Colorado Buffaloes

Last season: So why did Colorado decide to pluck Deion Sanders out of Jackson State to coach their team? For the name recognition? For recruiting purposes? Because Deion single-handedly revitalized the city of Jackson, Mississippi and wanted that to happen in Boulder?
Or maybe, just maybe, it's because the Buffaloes program had become hot garbage and they finally wanna do something to fix it?

Good news: Already, recruiting battles are being won in Boulder. QB Shedeur Sanders is joining his dad, and he'll have high-quality transfers to help him out on offense. Oh, and the coaching staff that Deion has assembled is looking good.

Bad news: A WHOLE lot of transfers are on this team, so you're gonna have questions about team chemistry. The defense is basically starting over from scratch, and team depth may be a problem. And of course, how will the players handle this whole media circus week after week?

Key games:
9/2 @ TCU (The media frenzy should be at it's peak at the start of the season, when Colorado goes to TCU on Week 1.)
9/9 vs. Nebraska (And then on Week 2, it's the big home opener! I think Folsom Field will be a zoo for this game.)
9/30 vs. USC (Speaking of a media zoo, we may have another one here. For the first and [maybe] only time, it'll be Shedeur Sanders vs. Caleb Williams!)
11/11 vs. Arizona (By this time, the frenzy should be slowing down. So this game should be all business for the Buffaloes.)
11/25 @ Utah (Deion Sanders' first and only meeting with coaching legend Kyle Whittingham, folks!)

Bottom line: Oh! I just remembered! Colorado will soon be jumping ship on the PAC-12 and going back to the Big 12! And actually, the move makes sense to me; Colorado hasn't had much luck in the PAC-12 since joining in 2011. But what will happen in their final year in the league?
Well, I don't see them making a bowl game. But admit it: You're going to watch them in 2023. And that's why Colorado got Deion.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my preview for each PAC 12 team, in no particular order

USC - The Trojans look to have a stellar team this year after returning to glory with an 11 win season last year. They have the reigning Heisman winner and CFB’s best QB in Caleb Williams, they a very strong and deep receiving unit, a couple of experienced rushers and a solid O-Line. Their defense should be much improved as 5 of their top 6 tacklers return plus they add in a few solid transfers. The Trojans are a playoff contender and should have a very strong team this year.

Utah - The Utes have had double digit wins the last 3 seasons (not counting the COVID year) and they should be very strong once again. QB Cameron Rising returns and they have a lot of good weapons around him, several experienced rushers and receivers. Their defense is always one of the PAC 12’s strongest and should be good again with a lot of talent back. They beat USC twice to win the PAC 12 last year, and they are capable of doing so again this year and of possibly making the playoff, their schedule is hard but the Utes should be a very strong team once again.

Colorado - Who knows what to expect from this team?! Almost everyone there is new, basically the entire team from last season is gone, however they’ve added in a lot of transfers so they have experience. They will get much more national attention now with Deion coaching, I don’t see them having a winning season this year given all of the change and their tough schedule but I have no idea how competitive the Buffaloes will be.

Arizona - The Wildcats greatly improved last season and were one win away from a bowl, this year their offense should be good, QB Jayden de Laura put up pretty big passing numbers last year and he returns and most of their weapons return around him. However their defense is a real concern, they were terrible last year and they only return 3 starters this year on that side of the ball. Their schedule is tough with a lot of their easier games on the road. They should be competitive and if their defense improves they might make their first bowl since 2017.

Arizona St - The Sun Devils are an interesting team, they should be improved, but I’m not sure by how much. They add in ND transfer Drew Pyne at QB and he will likely be the starter and give them improved numbers at QB, their top 3 receivers are back and they add in a couple of transfers at RB. The defense should be better, their secondary should be decent while they add in some transfers on the front 7 who should help. Their schedule is tough but getting back to a bowl is possible in Kenny Dillingham’s first year.

UCLA - Chip Kelly has finally gotten the Bruins on track with back to back winning seasons, and they should be pretty good again this year. Dorian Thompson-Robinson’s long reign as starting QB is over, and it’s unclear who will win the starting QB job as they have multiple options, it will be hard to match DTR’s play from last year and they will need a starter to emerge and play well. They do add in several good transfers at RB and receiver including a 1,500 yard rusher from Ball St. On defense, the secondary should be improved while the front 7 looks solid. The Bruins should have another good winning season and if a QB emerges and plays well they could make some noise in the PAC 12.

Stanford - This looks like a total rebuilding year for the Cardinal in Troy Taylor’s first year. Most of their team is gone and they weren’t able to get a lot of transfers like other schools, and so they are one of the least experienced teams in CFB and the talent level looks low on both sides of the ball, plus they will be adjusting to a new coach. Stanford looks like clearly the weakest team in the PAC 12 and a double digit loss season wouldn’t surprise me.

California - I’m not really sure what to expect from the Golden Bears this season - they lose their QB and are inexperienced at the position, but they get their top rusher and most of their receivers back. Most of their defense returns and it should be an improved unit. Their schedule is very hard. If a good QB emerges they have a shot at pulling a couple of upsets and getting to their first bowl since 2019 but it will be an uphill battle for them I believe.

Oregon - The Ducks are a stellar program and they should be very strong once again. QB Bo Nix returns after having an excellent season last year, and they have a lot of talent at receiver plus two good rushers around him. The defense should be pretty good, they have most of their starters back and add in a few transfers. The Ducks are definite contenders for the PAC 12 crown and have a shot at the playoff if all goes right.

Oregon St - Jonathan Smith is doing a great job with the Beavers, he’s completely turned the program around and led them to a 10 win season last year. They will need better QB play, they add in DJ Uiagalelei from Clemson, although I’ve never thought he was that good, but he will probably provide more consistent play than what they had last year. They have a deep backfield with 3 good rushers returning, and their receiving unit looks decent although depth is a concern. The defense loses some talent but should still be pretty good. The Beavers should have another winning season, although I don’t think they will match last years double digit wins, but they could pull an upset or two given they face most strong teams at home.

Washington St - The Cougars have had 7 win seasons the last two years and they should have a decent team again this year. QB Cameron Ward is back and he’s solid, their RB’s are all back and while they lose their top guys at receiver they add in a couple of transfers to help offset that. On defense, their secondary looks solid, the front 7 is kind of a concern as they don’t have a lot of experience there. They avoid USC and Utah this year and have several winnable home games, so I think they’ll get back to a bowl and have a shot at topping 7 wins.

Washington - The Huskies won 11 games last year and have a lot of talent back this year. QB Michael Penix is back after having a fantastic 2022 season, their receiving unit is deep and excellent with two 1,000 yard receivers returning and they have a couple or experienced RB’s. Their defense looks pretty good at each level. Washington is a definite contender for the PAC 12 crown and they have a shot at getting to the playoff.

I am picking USC to win the PAC 12 and get to the playoff, but I think Utah, Oregon and Washington have a chance at the PAC 12 title and a playoff spot as well. I think this is the second best conference behind the SEC this year, there are a lot of solid teams in it.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC - The Trojans look to have a stellar team this year after returning to glory with an 11 win season last year. They have the reigning Heisman winner and CFB’s best QB in Caleb Williams, they a very strong and deep receiving unit, a couple of experienced rushers and a solid O-Line. Their defense should be much improved as 5 of their top 6 tacklers return plus they add in a few solid transfers. The Trojans are a playoff contender and should have a very strong team this year.

Having watched every play of every game last year, I'm not sure that returning 5 of the top 6 tacklers on a defense that couldn't tackle for shit is a good thing.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon State

Preview segment: The Oregon State Beavers

Last season: When last season started, Oregon State was hoping to make it the best season since 2000. And they got it! The Beavers got 10 wins, including a dominating bowl win over Florida and a dramatic comeback win over Oregon. Now with turmoil in the PAC-12 at an all-time high, can the Beavers take advantage and steal the conference crown?

2023 X-factor: New QB DJ Uiagalelei- Yeah, it's pretty obvious what the X-factor is for OSU this year: The former starter from Clemson. Sure, he has decent stats, but he never was a fan favorite over at Clemson. Will the change in scenery help him?

Good news: Here to help DJ with the transition is maybe the best running-back in the whole PAC-12 in Damien Martinez. The Beavers defense surprised a lot of people last year, so expectations are high over there. Oh, and the O-line OSU has might also be the best in the PAC-12.

Bad news: That defense must now replace a few linebackers, and nobody at the WR position really jumps out as a home-run threat.

Key games:
9/29 vs. Utah (The early schedule for the Beavers is actually pretty easy. OSU should be 4-0 entering this important battle with the Utes.)
10/14 vs. UCLA (Just a simple battle between two coaching greats: Chip Kelly vs. Jonathan Smith. Oh, and Smith defeated Kelly the last time they met.)
11/18 vs. Washington (The last two games of the year will determine if Oregon State will take the conference. This bout with Washington should be a hoot over on the West Coast.)
11/24 @ Oregon (And of course, there's the battle with the in-state rival known as Oregon. Remember how the Beavers shocked the Ducks last year?)

Bottom line: 6 decades has past since Oregon State last made the Rose Bowl. Could it happen this year? I mean, you got the best rusher in the conference. You got maybe the best O-line in the conference. And Jonathan Smith-led teams never shoot themselves in the foot.
But remember this fact: Oregon State's passing game ranked 104th in the country in 2022. I guess it'll be all up to Uiagalelei to get those numbers up and get the Beavers to the "New Year's Six".

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCLA

Preview segment: The UCLA Bruins

Last season: Oh, the memories were flooding back to the UCLA faithful during 2022! The Bruins would start the year 6-0, and then get to 8-1 while Dorian Thompson-Robinson and the offense was running wild. People thought that Chip Kelly had UCLA primed for the PAC-12 title!
But then the joyride stopped with 3 losses in their last 4 games. And those losses were heartbreakers against USC and Pittsburgh, and that shocker in Pasadena where Arizona broke the Bruin defense. So who is left in Pasadena as the Bruins resume the chase for glory?

Bad news: Well... not too many people on offense stuck around; DTR is gone, Zach Charbonnet is gone, and so is their top 2 receivers and 3 offensive linemen. And the defense REALLY needs to get better.

Good news: Thankfully, 8 starters return on the defensive side, so there is hope for improvement. And at least UCLA found some people to fill in for Charbonnet: Carson Steele (from Ball State) and TJ Harden.

2023 X-factor: The quarterback race- Replacing DTR will be very hard for the Bruins, but at least they have some quality options. Freshmen Dante Moore wowed the coaching staff during spring ball, Ethan Garbers was DTR's backup for 2 years, and Collin Schlee comes in from Kent State. Which way will the Bruins staff go with the QB's? We don't know...

Key games:
9/9 @ San Diego State (Whoever Chip Kelly chooses as the new starting QB have better be ready for a fight here; San Diego State will always have a tough defense.)
9/23 @ Utah (UCLA was able to stop the Utes last year. Let's see if they can do it again, this time in Salt Like City!)
10/14 @ Oregon State (See my previous post.)
11/18 @ USC (UCLA's conference title hopes died last year thanks to their old buddies, the Trojans! Let's see they try to kill each other one more time.)
11/25 vs. California (UCLA's last conference game before they go to the Big 10- AAAAUUUURRRRGGHH!!!! *puff* *puff* ...Sorry, I got overemotional again.)

Bottom line: So much to like about the Bruins (Chip Kelly's coaching, the hope for a better defense), and so much to dislike (They have to replace so much production from last year's offense). Not to mention the whole "leaving their home in the PAC-12 to pay off their debt in the Big 10" crap. All of that makes UCLA the big "wild-card" of this league in 2023.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utah

Preview segment: The Utah Utes

Last season: When the PAC-12 turned into a complete free-for-all in 2022, Utah was able to survive the fight. They were able to make it back to the PAC-12 title game, and then shocked USC to claim their 2nd-straight title. So we now know that whatever comes Utah's way, Kyle Whittingham and his team will be able to overcome it!
Shame about the Rose Bowl, though. And shame about Cameron Rising's ACL injury during that game. Can he (and Utah) overcome this?

Good news: Reports say that Cameron is doing well in his rehab, and if he comes back healthy the Utes will be much better off. Utah still has proud tight-ends to throw to, Ja'Quinden Jackson leads a talented running-back room, and there are no big worries on defense (the D-line in particular looks deeper than ever).

Bad news: If Cameron gets hurt again, none of his back-ups has too much experience. The wide-receiver group looks a little thin, and the defense will have to replace people like Clark Phillips.

Key games:
8/31 vs. Florida (Okay, it's the 2nd part of a home-and-home series with Florida, and Utah wants revenge for last year's loss to the Gators. I see nothing wrong with that.)
9/9 @ Baylor (Now HERE is a potential problem. Man, I hope Cameron Rising will be ready to go right out of the gate.)
10/21 @ USC (Utah broke the hearts of the USC Trojans TWICE last season. Guarantee you that this game will turn into a fight.)
10/28 vs. Oregon (On the flipside, Utah's conference title hopes almost died last year when they lost to the Ducks. The Utes defense should be ready for Bo Nix THIS time around.)
11/11 @ Washington (...Uh oh. Another prime-time level game for the Utes. If they get back to the PAC-12 title game in 2023, they would have EARNED it.)

Bottom line: Utah is off back-to-back conference championships, so you shouldn't count them out in 2023; they'll be a force once again. But there's a reason why Cameron Rising's health is the center of attention in Salt Lake City; look at those 5 games that I mentioned! Oh, and I can throw in road dates with Oregon State and Arizona, too! If Cameron Rising stumbles or can't go, Utah may end up losing the fight in 2023.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington State

Preview segment: The Washington State Cougars

Last season: It was an up-and-down season for Washington State last year; they defeated Wisconsin IN Wisconsin and got 7 regular-season wins. Sadly, they couldn't beat any of the big dogs in the PAC-12 and got shut down in the LA Bowl. Now the people in Pullman will watch with bated breath as Wazzu and their coaching staff marches on.

Good news: Quarterback Cameron Ward is still here in Pullman, and Nakia Watson headlines a deep running-back room. Edge-rushers Ron Stone Jr. and Brennan Jackson are proud men on the D-line, and the secondary is settled.

Bad news: The rest of the defense, however, is anything but settled; depth is very lacking in the interior. The O-line was a BIG problem last year for Wazzu, and it might be again. And it also won't help the QB that the WR unit is almost all-new.

2023 X-factor: The new coordinators- Oh, shoot! I almost forgot! For the 2nd year in a row, coach Jake Dickert saw both his offensive and defensive coordinators leave him after the season. Let's see if Ben Arbuckle (from Western Kentucky) and Jeff Schmedding are good hires... and if they'll actually stick around after 2023.

Key games:
9/9 vs. Wisconsin (The Badgers will be the first Big-10 team to visit Pullman in 25 years. Let's hope the Wazzu offense is ready by this time.)
9/23 vs. Oregon State (Facing the physical Beavers of Oregon State? Not the best way for the Cougars to start PAC-12 play.)
10/21 @ Oregon (Wazzu could have beaten Oregon last year had they held it together and not choke in the 4th quarter. The Cougars are hoping they can finish the job here.)
11/25 @ Washington (This year, the "Apple Cup" will take place for the 115th time.)

Bottom line: You know, Washington State's 2023 schedule is pretty good (all things considered). Gone is USC and Utah, and in comes teams like Colorado and a transitioning UCLA team. The Cougars will just be looking for another bowl invite this year.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Southern California

Preview segment: The USC Trojans

Last season: Uh, ignore those last 2 games. 2022 was still a masterful year for Lincoln Riley and the USC Trojans. QB Caleb Williams won the Heisman, and the Trojans got 11 wins while forcing teams like Utah and Tulane to beat them with last-second heroics. So USC is ahead of schedule with their rebuilding; now it's 2023 and they HAVE to act on their championship window.

Good news: Caleb Williams is still here. And he is still surrounded by awesome skill players, so the offense should be it's old lethal self.

Bad news: The defense was NOT at a championship level last year. And the spring game exposed some familiar weaknesses, so the D will be a worrisome spot until further notice. Oh, and did you know that USC had the worst special teams unit in the nation in 2022? Obviously, that has to be fixed as well.

2023 X-factor: Line play- To fix their problems, USC is turning to... what else? Transfers! A handful of strong transfers are being brought in to help BOTH the O-line and D-line get better. We'll see if the meshing of all of these new parts go well.

Key games:
10/14 @ Notre Dame (Okay! So USC was able to reverse their bad luck against Notre Dame last year. Let's see them try to win in South Bend against a tough Irish D.)
10/21 vs. Utah (As I mentioned yesterday, Utah broke USC's hearts TWICE last season. The Trojans D will determine if they get their revenge here.)
11/4 vs. Washington (USC had the fortune of missing Michael Penix Jr. and the Huskies last year. No such luck this time for the Trojans; their D will be sorely tested.)
11/11 @ Oregon (Then, USC will take their final visit to Autzen Stadium for a while...)
11/18 vs. UCLA (...before finishing things in a familiar spot: Against the rival Bruins.)

Bottom line: Lincoln Riley had been pointing to 2023 as the year where USC will make it to the playoff and compete for a national title. Now (annoyingly) their early schedule is pretty easy, so that will give their new defense time to jell. But they have to face the media circus following the PAC-12 this year, and also a lot of talented QB's.
Not to mention USC is on a time limit; Caleb Williams WILL be the #1 pick in next April's NFL Draft. But hey, nobody said winning a national title would be easy.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
California

Preview segment: The Cal Golden Bears

Last season: Another disappointing year for the Bears, as they went 4-8. And even the traditionally stalwart Bears defense stumbled. So in my opinion, Justin Wilcox is on the hot seat in Berkeley, and he needs to get the program going.

Good news: Hopes are high that the Bears defense will do better than it did a year ago. Jaydn Ott has the potential to be a strong running back, and the O-line returns nearly everyone.

Bad news: Problem is, last year's O-line was bad. And unless it gets much better, Ott may not get to do anything. There is also not much experience at the QB spot.

Key games:
9/9 vs. Auburn (An important home opener for the Bears, as they'll face the Auburn Tigers for the first time ever.)
9/30 vs. Arizona State (This PAC-12 game looks winnable.)
10/7 vs. Oregon State (A defensive-minded game looks certain here. If Cal's new QB is playing well, they can get the upset.)
10/28 vs. USC (Cal's final chance to wreck those greedy, miserable toads from Los Angeles before USC leaves them high and dry.)
11/18 @ Stanford (Just so you know, Cal has won 3 of the last 4 meetings with rival Stanford.)

Bottom line: I honestly can't get a good read on these guys. I mean, the Bears defense is widely expected to return to form. But unless the offense FINALLY wakes up, they won't be able to make any noise in the PAC-12 this year. Not to mention the hard schedule Cal will be facing.
Unless they pull off an upset, California will be sitting at home come bowl season.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington

Preview segment: The Washington Huskies

Last season: From 4 wins in 2021 to 11 wins in 2022. Kalen DeBour has already turned around the Washington program! Consider this for a moment; in 2021 the Huskies averaged 21.5 points a game. Last year that number jumped to 39.7 PPG! I don't need to say anything else.

Good news: The catalyst of this turnaround (QB Michael Penix Jr.) is still here. Michael will have a deep, powerful group of WR's to throw to. And there are no big worries on defense; that defensive line of theirs looks SCARY.

Bad news: No big worries on the O-line, but it is replacing a couple of starters from last year. And it wouldn't hurt if Washington's secondary can force more INT's.

Key games:
9/16 @ Michigan State (It's the 2nd half of their home-and-home series with now future Big 10 teammate Michigan State. The Spartans' tough defense will surely give Washington their first test of the year.)
10/14 vs. Oregon (Washington killed Oregon's playoff chances last year... in Eugene! So confidence abounds for the Huskies in this installment of their rivalry with the Ducks.)
10/21 vs. Arizona State (A chance for the Huskies to get revenge on a team that gave them one of their 2 losses last year.)
The entire November slate (A cop-out? Yes. But seriously, November is where Washington will enhance or lose their playoff chances. First they'll go to USC, and then host hard-nosed Utah. Then it'll be another fight with the tricky Oregon State Beavers, before things end with the "Apple Cup".)

Bottom line: Despite that worrisome November schedule, I think the Huskies can handle it. This may be the deepest, most powerful Washington team since they won a national title in 1991. And yes, the national title is a big ask for Washington. But if Penix Jr. and his offense works in harmony with their fast defense, that goal might happen in 2023.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona State

The last preview segment for the PAC-12: The Arizona State Sun Devils

Last season: Well, the bottom finally fell out on the Sun Devils program. Herm Edwards was fired after a loss to Eastern Michigan, the defense finally imploded, and ASU would finish 3-9. Now ASU is setting off on a new era with new coach Kenny Dillingham leading the way.

Good news: ASU was able to snag former Notre Dame QB Drew Pyne in December. And Pyne should do well with the new offense thanks to his talents and some good options at WR and tight-end. Plus, ASU got about 30 new players thanks to the transfer portal.

Bad news: As usual, it remains to be seen how all of the new guys will work together on one team. Line play is the big worry on this squad, as both the offensive and defensive lines could have major problems.

Key games:
9/9 vs. Oklahoma State (Watch the ASU offense very carefully; if it does well against the Cowboys an upset can happen here.)
9/23 vs. USC (Hmmm... Drew Pyne vs. Caleb Williams. West-coast football fans will definitely watch this one.)
9/30 @ California (If ASU is gonna win a conference game on the road, this looks like the safest bet.)
11/25 vs. Arizona (At least when ASU goes to the Big 12 conference, this rivalry game will not die out.)

Bottom line: As you have probably guessed, this is a big rebuilding job for Arizona State. Doubly so now that they're set to join the Big 12 in 2024. Best to just leave the Sun Devils to their work as they seek to better their profile in the city of Phoenix... as they sit at home come bowl time.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PAC-12 predictions

...Let's just get to my predictions for the final year of the PAC-12:

1. Washington (Conference champs, maybe playoff)
2. USC (Maybe "New Year's Six")
3. Oregon State
4. Utah
5. Oregon
6. UCLA
7. Washington State
8. Arizona
9. California
10. Arizona State
11. Colorado
12. Stanford

There's only 1 more conference left for me to cover, and that's the (suddenly booming) Big 12! That starts tomorrow.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of sad actually.

Looks to be one of the best P12 seasons in conference history, only to be dismantled when the season ends.

I think you can make strong cases for the top 6 teams to win it this year. Looks to be the funnest conference to watch this year.